Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12 volt conversion Military

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 volt conversion Military
    Posted: 19 Jan. 2017 at 4:53am
Hello everyone!

I have a '47 CJ2A I need to convert to 12 volt. The issue:

-I am converting it to somewhat WWII Specs so I need to add the B.O. switch (for the blackout lights), military light switch.

-Which alternator would be recommended

-I've never done a 12 volt conversion would anyone recommend a wiring harness?

Thanks!

Frank
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2017 at 11:47am
Hi Frank.I'm doing the same thing.For the alternator I'm using a Delco single wire.For the blackout light on the fender I replace the inside socket to take a 12 volt bulb,the blackout light in the grill I used m38 blackout light because they are bigger and I replace the bulb socket to take double contact bulb for marker/blinker.You can check on Your jeep project under Restoring cj2a into a WWII tribute.
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2017 at 12:01am
Any pics of how you converted the fender mount lite to 12v ? I put a small led in mine, I thought of removing the
Face cover (not the visor) painting black and putting it on my 2a.
FrankD90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2017 at 3:37am
I need to wire the cate eyes somehow. But awesome pics!
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2017 at 4:40am
You should be able to find a 12 volt NOS fender light. 
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2017 at 3:46am
Lee ,I just return from Florida and don't have more pictures but I will remove the lens and take pictures of how I did the inside.Mind the inside bulb was busted. I will try this weekend.

Giles

Edited by Gil - 21 Jan. 2017 at 3:51am
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2017 at 11:24pm
I have some pics of mine but I have to resize them, I've never seen a 12v one. I just like the look of the military style fender mount black out lite.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2017 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

Any pics of how you converted the fender mount lite to 12v ? I put a small led in mine, I thought of removing the
Face cover (not the visor) painting black and putting it on my 2a.

Lee , mind was not working and not original to a gpw/mb so I took apart and removed the broken bulb , I made the hole in the metal casing bigger with my die grinder to be able to install a Pico # 5444 /1 wire for a single bulb. I Made the hole tight for the insert and I put silicon to seal and hold it in place better.I also grounded the insert and for the wire I used for the light is a marine wire it's have a bigger insulation (Rubber) Here are some pictures
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2017 at 8:39pm
I put an led in mine, I don't know what it fits, was just hanging on a rack at the parts store, it's real bright. I'm not using mine as a blackout light, I want to remove the face shield and keep the visor. I have one pic but I'll take some better ones.
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2017 at 11:07pm
The brass pieces holding in the lite are the tangs off the male extension cord, makes it easy to replace if it blows out. I have to clean off the glass and crimp it back together (and hope I don't break it. I'm using m38 fenders and grill so the mounting holes and notch for the wire are there.
 Post Reply Post Reply