Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1947 Craigslist Barn Find

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1947 Craigslist Barn Find
    Posted: 12 Nov. 2014 at 5:54pm
So at about the begining of October my Dad and I was checking out Craigslist for fun.  We would look at the different cars and decifer if the information they had on the discription of the vehicle was hiding something or not.  Well I was looking over his shoulder when he clicked on this link to a 1947 Jeep.  Well we looked at it and the price was about what I had saved up and we talked about it and moved on.  All that night I could not stop thinking about the jeep in the barn.  The next day I went snooping back onto Craigslist to look at it and that night I texted the guy to ask about it and we set up a time to look at it and a day.  So when the day came I got my Mom to come with me because I can get lost in a room with only one door and no furniture.  We still got lost twice and I ended up haveing to call the guy to give me directions.  I didn't want to call him because he didn't know I was a girl and I thought if he found out he'd lecture me and then decide not to sell it to me since he had two other's interested in it too.  He was cool with it and when I finally got there I expected to see an old fart looking grungy with a veteran hat on, somebody I would expect to be interested in an old Jeep.  what came out was a young-looking farmer.  After we said our pleasentries we got around to looking at the jeep and I could only see one side but it looked good so I paid the man and arranged to pick it up the next weekend.  After some headache and visiting an Uncle who is big into restoration, we finally go it home.  Here's some of the pics: 

Edited by Becca - 12 Nov. 2014 at 6:41pm
1947 Willys CJ-2A
mogger7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mogger7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2014 at 7:53pm
not bad now lets get it run'n girl
mogger7
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2014 at 8:35pm
Becca you're my kind of girl! Have I got a guy for you. Look up Schimms15...he is your age and is punch drunk over jeeps.....yes sir you guys will hit it off!
**Sorry Luke but this gal is way cool!Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Randy Snyder View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Snyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2014 at 4:39am
Becca,
What part of the state are you in?
Let us know what help you need.

Randy
'46 2A #13943

'46 2A #26236

'45 T3-C #436

Becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2014 at 5:01pm
I'm from southern Indiana.  I have gotten down to taking the body off.  Here's how far I've gotten in pics.

Edited by Becca - 13 Nov. 2014 at 5:10pm
1947 Willys CJ-2A
Becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2014 at 4:16pm
Does anybody know where I could get a good set of wheels used or will I have to find a place to buy new ones?  Mine are less than stellar.
1947 Willys CJ-2A
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2014 at 5:44pm
Put an ad in the wanted to buy section. You might find someone in driving distance that has some, lots of members have rims but shipping is often the deal breaker.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2014 at 7:00pm
What do you mean by "less than steller" ? They look good to me from the pic of them. Just a bit rusty.
willys jeep
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2014 at 7:05pm
Becca if your going to have that body off the frame for very long it would be a good idea to raise it up off the ground some maybe a couple 4X4 posts or better yet on top of 3) 5 gallon buckets and get a tarp over it to protect it from wet. No reason causing yourself extra work if its going to be a while before you get to working on the tub.

I have a couple sets of wheels I won't be using but I'm all the way in Oregon and Shipping as mentioned above would kill the deal.

If your going to do a full on restoration start with the chassis and then build up off that.

Does your engine currently run? if so that's a Huge PLUS.

I'll be looking forward to hearing and seeing your progress

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2014 at 7:50pm
If you ever need help, I live by Madison Indiana if you are close to that.
Hugh Hedrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Hedrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2014 at 8:53pm
those rims if they are a matching set probably just need a wire brushing or sand blasting to remove the rust. i made a set that looked like that look almost new. they just need some paint.
Mb modified 47 cj2a
Nice original 47 cj2a
Basket case 48 cj2a
Becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2014 at 7:45pm
By less than stellar I mean that the jeep had been sitting in a moist area for a while and the edges of the wheels that had been resting at the bottom had rusted and pitted to where the tire wouldn't seat.   I do have the body up on blocks and I have a tarp over it tied down with water jugs so it won't fly off in a small wind.  The engine does turn over but somebody went and cut the fuel line from the gas tank to the carberator and some of the cables to the carberator is froze.  But I didn't feel comfortable enough to just fix the line and try to start the engine because of the wiring, so I didn't start it but it does turn over freely. 

Edited by Becca - 01 Dec. 2014 at 7:50pm
1947 Willys CJ-2A
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Snyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2014 at 1:23am
Becca,
Give Harry Sheets a call a Midwest Willys for replacement original rims or anything else you may need.  He's located in Crawfordsville, IN.

http://midwestwillys.com/
'46 2A #13943

'46 2A #26236

'45 T3-C #436

Becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2014 at 6:28pm
Thanks for the link Randy, I may need to make a trip up there one day soon!
Is there a duel master cylinder, one with two halves fro the front and back, that can work well with this system or do I need to go and mix parts?  And will it probably need an adjustable perportioning valve to go with it?  I am wanting to keep it as original as possible but I want some saftey measures taken.

Edited by Becca - 03 Dec. 2014 at 6:36pm
1947 Willys CJ-2A
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2014 at 8:25pm
Here is one kit, a little pricey but I'm sure its worth it.Duel master cylinder kit And it does say it works with the drum brakes.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Snyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2014 at 2:07am
Becca,
Here is another kit for the Duel master cylinder from herm the Overdrive  guy.

Randy

'46 2A #13943

'46 2A #26236

'45 T3-C #436

Becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2014 at 2:08am
Just what I needed!  Thank you very much!
1947 Willys CJ-2A
Becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2015 at 3:30am

My dad and I recently went to the junkyard and came back with the front backing plates off of what we thought was a '78 Chevy truck, because the backing plates off of a chevy around that year would fit the bolt pattern to the Dana axles on my Jeep.  Turns out the truck was a Dodge but the bolt pattern fit the backing plates anyways. Also got the brake calipers off that truck for the core charge on some new calipers for my little project.  Interesting thing is that the new calipers are about $25 a/peice but the core charge on them is about $35. 

1947 Willys CJ-2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>