Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 Numbers match

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1kzwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1948 Numbers match
    Posted: 19 Nov. 2014 at 3:46am
I an reviving a 1948 CJ2A, that's been in  the family most of it's life.(not to mention all of mine and my son's, and grandson's)  

I checked serial number, body tag number and frame numbers, all match. Motor number is proper too.
I have decided to invest in a wiring harness so that my grandson won't miss out on "Willy". Sent an email to Joe at Vintage of Maine to start the process. 

My Dad was a mechanic by profession so mechanically sound overall too, mostly wheel bearing packs,
Ross steering issues, and seals which I find normal for nearly 70 years old.   What started this off was a rotten leaky heater hose, oh well I needed a winter project.

Thank you all for the help that I have found here and the many questions you answered be for I even thought of them. Great Forum

wc16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wc16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2014 at 8:45pm
Hello I am in the same process with a '48. I have the ID plate on the passenger side firewall, the stamped #'s on the lip of the right side tailgate and the rectangular data plate on the passenger side dash.   Is there a third ID tag? thanks
Zuma58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zuma58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2014 at 1:19pm
Left front side of the frame, should be a tag there just on the side, I believe it should be riveted on
Steve
Long May You Run!!!
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2014 at 2:03pm
OK down to the minutia now............you may or may not have a frame tag......look on the driver side frame by the front bumper, if its there you'll see it, if not look for 2 tiny holes where it was attached that tells you that it WAS there. If the frame rail is solid with no holes you never had one. It's not unusual since they were discontinued during that year. Hmmmmm you might also look at the drivers side gusset on the body. The ACM# will be stamped there...it should be a number very similar to the tailgate number. Then again it may not be there since Willys brought body production in house in 1948. Therefore no American Central Manufacturing number. If you don't have a number then your tailgate shouldn't either but maybe that was a replacement sometime in its life.
Its all much clearer now right?Big smile
Also....a 1948 should not have an identifying number on the dash plate.....that was only done I think in 1945 and 46. Maybe some pictures would be helpful....By chance does your "48" have tool indents on the drivers side and "bullet" marker lights in the grill? Why don't you list all the numbers you have including the engine number.
Sorry PAT for stealing your thread but MEL has me curious.

Edited by damar2yxr - 21 Nov. 2014 at 2:09pm
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2014 at 11:59pm
A '48 could have a tailgate number without an ACM number. If so, the tailgate number should be the same as or close to the body tag number, which in this case is not the same as the serial number. It gets clearer and simpler all the time, doesn't it?   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2014 at 12:32am
Originally posted by 1kzwoman 1kzwoman wrote:

I have decided to invest in a wiring harness so that my grandson won't miss out on "Willy". Sent an email to Joe at Vintage of Maine to start the process. 

Joe is the best.  He made my M38 harness and it is absolutely perfectly original looking minus the add-ons I had him put in.  He can build anything extra you want put in and even that will look perfectly original.  Do yourself a favor and have him use "douglas" connectors.  They are so much easier and very durable.
1kzwoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1kzwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2014 at 1:42am
Damar no worries we are all interested!
1kzwoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1kzwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2014 at 1:43am
Originally posted by 52 M38 52 M38 wrote:

Originally posted by 1kzwoman 1kzwoman wrote:

Joe is the best.  He made my M38 harness and it is absolutely perfectly original looking minus the add-ons I had him put in.  He can build anything extra you want put in and even that will look perfectly original.  Do yourself a favor and have him use "douglas" connectors.  They are so much easier and very durable.

I will ask about "douglas" connectors.
wc16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wc16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2014 at 3:13am
Re: My 1948    Number stamped on driver side gussett vertically. Also stamped on the lip of the tailgate passenger side. Same #. VIN plate on passenger side upper corner of firewall. 10500 higher than
acm #.Nothing around driver side front frame rail or frame horn. Thanks for the directions
dsc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2014 at 3:21am
Hello dear friends,
Would like to post details of the cj2a I possess.Found acouple of very old topics on this forum with similar discussions,that appear to have been lost to any discussion.
I own a suspect lefty,which has the fender support braces as those for a lefty.
It does have the tail gate and the gusset mount acm numbers but the body tub and the patent plate read higher than the expected list of lefty's.
reading through the forum had noticed that there was a west coast production site for WO,and the left over leftys after the said rule was dismissed were probably sent to places where it did not really matter or was ok with the local rules.
Would need some input on it And also on any more pointers on lefty identification.
tail gate : 166955
Body number:209595
Serial number:220936
thank you.Dinesh
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2014 at 2:26pm
You might as well accept the fact that you have a "lefty". The body gives it away. Your tailgate # loosely falls into the range......by the way what was the body gusset ACM number?....your serial number is a little far from the "norm". If you have read the "Calling all Lefties" thread the service bulletins had a lot of lee way with their "with some exceptions" clauses. Add to it the Maywood, California production facility which no one seems to know much about and you have all sorts of wiggle room where your jeep fell through the cracks. Don't rule out the possibility your jeep was rebodied at some point in its life and the old tags were transferred to the "lefty" body. 65+ years is a long time and a lot could have happened.Big smile

eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
dsc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2014 at 3:35pm
Hello,
I surely understand the possibilities with this particular cj.it had moved 7 seas to reach this coast.all you have told is surely possible.I would be very keen to know if any other specific points that would help in detecting if it's a lefty other than the spare tire placement and and the bow stowage.
By the way the toe gusset number is under few layers of paint and i shall update once the tub is off the frame.
Is there any data on these jeeps being shipped to other countries like India,south Africa,or other countries etc.documented.
We're these jeeps sent to the east only as military supply or even as personal imports?
A lot needs to be unfolded at least for the curiosity about the same!
regards
Dinesh.
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2014 at 5:44pm
There are no further distinguishing "lefty" characteristics other than the top bow bracket placement on the passenger side and the flipping of the spare tire reinforcement bracket. The only factory retooling required was stamping the top bow brackets to fit on the passenger side. The only other help would be the range of the serial number....which--as you can see---is less than exact. Good luck in your research!Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Post Reply Post Reply