Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1975 CJ5 ignition help Please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1975 CJ5 ignition help Please
    Posted: 13 May 2015 at 1:58am
the original problem was loss of power at cruise...engine stalled had to be towed by a friend..Cry
Plenty of fuel no problem there..

got it home put a meter on it 12 v at coil + with ign in run..no spark when cranking and plug against the block....
swapped coil from my 2A and it started right up no problem!!! ok got new coil from AZ...it ran for a few days and then the same problem no spark..
here is my mistake  I think..please help out
The new coil, I never knew there was a "external" or "no external" resisitor, was marked external resistor only...I did not pay too much attention...my 2A coil is marked no external resistor...
I do not have an in line resisitor on my 75 CJ5 with a 4.2 I6, nor does it look like I ever had one in line...
So did I fry my ignition module using the wrong coil?   I put my 2A coil back in the CJ5 but no joy no spark...all wiring looks good..ground on the Ign module was a tad rusty but it ran before...so cleaned up the ground and will be heading out tomorrow for a new coil and ign module..
what do you guys think?  am I missing something? 
1946 CJ2a
1978 CJ7
2002 KJ
M100
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2016 at 3:40am
Have you fixed the problem?   
 Post Reply Post Reply