Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2016 Ouray / Moab / Taylor park mega trip - Event Date: 30 July 2016 - 13 Aug. 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: 2016 Ouray / Moab / Taylor park mega trip
    Posted: 12 Jan. 2016 at 6:01pm
This years summer jeeping friends get together and trail ride trip is going to be mega fantastic. Each year for the past 3 our group has grown as word has spread of our trips to colorado to go jeep trail riding and off roading. This years trip is shaping up to be the best and biggest one yet. Last summer we visited the Ouray area and all had a great time exploring the famous passes and trails there. To say the scenery was amazing would be a understatement as shown in some of jpets videos he filmed during the 3 days he was able to join us there. Black bear pass, Immogene pass. Engineer pass, california pass, Ophir loop and ophir pass just to name a few. Lots of old mine sites and ghost towns lakes and streams and waterfalls. There were a few in our group who did not get to do some of these passes and the rest of us who want to do them again so we are going to revisit the area to start off this years mega trip. We plan to arrive saturday july 30 and hit the trails starting sunday the 31st. At this point we plan to spend 3 or 4 days in Ouray area before making the 3 hour drive over to moab utah. We then plan to spend 4 or 5 days in moab exploring the fantastic scenery of the completely different type from colorado in that area. Somewhere about the first of the week we plan to trek back east over to Taylor park area and spend the rest of the second week revisiting our old stomping grounds there. We will be revisiting the amazing view off the top of flag mpountain, as well as some old favorites such as tin cup pass, cumberland pass and hoefully some we have not done in a jeep yet such as taylor pass etc.
Some of us plan to do this trip staying in our rv's and campers at campgrounds in these three areas, but motels and cabins are avail but dont wait to long to reserve them. If we have many doing motels or cabins let me know asap as o know they will need to have more solid dates for each location. Right now we are leaving location dates flexible so we can deal with any weather issues if any. Moab in august will probably be hot, but dry hot, but if its unpleasantly hot then we can cut it shorter and either go back to ouray area or taylor area sooner.
Now we know some cant do 2 weeks, and thats the part thats kinda cool about this trip. it can be attended in sections also. Week 1 being mainy Ouray and Moab, or week 2 Being Moab and Taylor park.
We are not extreme off roaders, we do not go out and run trails that require highly moodified rigs and have high risks of damage, but we do like to occasionally challenge our primarily stock jeeps and their drivers so these rides will have a mix of terrain types from pavement, to gravel to dirt to rock and small boulders. There will be some water crossings and probably a few muddy spots if its rained. There will be some narrow shelfs with steep drop offs, some tight switchbacks, very high elevations, steep grades, out of this world scenery, fantastic fellowship with friends both new and old, incredible photo ops, and tons of fun both on the trails and in the camp grounds. We would love to have more old willys join us as so far the round fenders still out number us flatty owners, but all who think they would fit in with our group are welcome to contact me to discuss it. This is a family oriented group, so bring your wives and kids if you like for a last hoorah before school starts up again.
Once we have talked a bit and it appears someone is wanting to join us, we have a private facebook group page that you will be invited into where we BS with each other and share pics and stories, and discuss the trip between now and trip start, and then share pics taken on the trip. Its a fun way to get to know everyone better before the trip starts as well.
Here are a few pics we took last year, and a couple showing some of what we hope to see in moab this summer to give you a idea.

So many projects and so little time.
kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 7:16am
9 weeks and counting...anyone interested in joining our group this summer PM me for updates and info.
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 11:47am
Hey if you can find me a job out there and a place to live, I'll be the first one up in morning of the trail ride haha Wink.  I would love to go out there, those are some great switch backs. 
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 5:46pm
I think I'm going to try and hook up with you for a couple of days in the Ouray section of the trip. I'm going to Bruce's Northern Colorado Run the week before, and if Grampa's Jeep is still mobile, I plan to travel down to Ouray on Sunday. Our family has a house boat trip to Lake Powell with friends that week as well so I'm just going to do a day or two in Ouray, then shoot over to Lake Powell and get some easy time on the house boat.
Can you hook me up with the facebook page? Stan Fuller, My profile picture is from the high school prom in 1976. I'm in a lime green tux with my wife in yellow..
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 4:47am
Stan, it would be great to get to meet and ride some of the fabulous trails in the ouray area with you, but, most of us wont be starting in ouray till wednesday it looks like now. We had to reverse the order and do moab first part of the week as some of our group couldnt start till mid week and wanted to do ouray for black bear and immogene passes. There might be a couple in ouray the first part that could meet up with ya tho if your not able to join the rest of us starting wednesday. Ill look for ya on facebook so we can add you to the page.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 8:52pm
What trails are you doing in Moab?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 8:38am
I really do not know. Just want to see as good a scenery as i can without being destructive to wilbur. Ive never been there or anywhere with that terrain before.
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 11:33am
I could probably join in on a short jaunt to Moab when you are there. Moab is only 3 hours from me so if it's just a few days, I could maybe hop down there. I'd just need dates. And would also depend on the trails to, I to am not interested in anything hardcore. Don't get me wrong, that is fun stuff but I to don't want any damage.
kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 4:49am
Its looking like the moab part of this year trip will be starting july 30 and running thru aug 2nd, then we will move over to ouray and run black bear and immogene etc for the rest of the week before heading over to taylor area the following week. Would be great to have another flatty join in. Mine is pretty much stock so the trails will have to be within its capabilities...but i do like a bit of challenge now and then but not at the price of tearing up my jeep.
0311DoC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0311DoC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 11:37pm
I did a google search for runs in Ouray, this page came up. Are you accepting outsiders on this trip? If so is there an itinerary/further info for the Ouray leg of the trip?

Thanks in Advance

Mike
kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 5:06am
Mike, if your into old jeeps or enjoy off road adventures your not a outsider. We are not a hardcore rock bouncing bunch, we like to challenge our old jeeps but not to the point of damaging them...unless we make a mistake, but mainly we like to explore and enjoy the scenery along the way. The Ouray portion of this years trip will be starting the morning of august 3rd and will run thru saturday or sunday...kinda flexible on the end of it as from there we will travel a little ways east and north to the gunnison beuana vista area known as taylor park the the remainder of the following week. Your welcome to join us if this type of jeeping sounds like something youd like to join in on. We will have everything from old willys like mine up to brand new JKUs and some in between. Some of us are staying in motels and cabins and some like myself will be camping in RV's. PM me for additional info if your wanting to come along.
Steve.

Originally posted by 0311DoC 0311DoC wrote:

I did a google search for runs in Ouray, this page came up. Are you accepting outsiders on this trip? If so is there an itinerary/further info for the Ouray leg of the trip?

Thanks in Advance

Mike

Edited by kansascat - 31 May 2016 at 3:04pm
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Kansascat Kansascat wrote:

The Ouray portion of this years trip will be starting the morning of July 3rd and will run thru saturday ..........
Don't you mean August 3rd?

If you've never been before, Hell's Revenge is the signature trail at Moab. If you do all the bypasses, it can be done with open differentials. It has a cool pucker factor that in comparison makes Black Bear feel like a Sunday cruise to Dairy Queen. No vehicle damage (so long as you bypass the 4 obstacles) If you are not into that, the Arches would be beautiful and Gemini Bridges is amazing. You could do them in 2wd.

Edited by jpet - 31 May 2016 at 12:01pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 2:32pm
Fins N Things, up the same pay to get in road as Hell's, is also a good trial to mention. It's rated a tad lower than that of Hells Revenge but still has great scenery and lots of slickrock.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 2:39pm
Righto bretto.  As he says, Fins has the slick rock but without the pucker factor. 

Edit:  Still, the obstacles, Hell's Gate, Mickey's hot tub, Escalator, and Tip Over Challenge are cool to look at even though you are not doing them.

Edited by jpet - 31 May 2016 at 2:43pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 3:09pm
Thanks for the good trail info guys. Ill probably try to do those as they are well known and very scenic. Sounds like i might need to do less goofing around when we head that way wednesday eve and try to get myself out there friday for a extra day to play. Its to bad lions back is closed. It sure looks like it would have been a fun one too.

Edited by kansascat - 31 May 2016 at 3:23pm
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by kansascat kansascat wrote:

...... Its to bad lions back is closed. It sure looks like it would have been a fun one too.
Yes, it's closed but you will pass by it on your way to either Hell's revenge or Fins. If you are feeling a little cowboy when your out there, you can run up Potato Salad Hill.

If you are going to do both Fins and HR, I would suggest doing Fins first. Fins is a good preparation for HR. If you do HR first it will successfully kick the cowboy out of a first timer but then it sort of diminishes Fins as far as excitement. Fins does have good scenery though. If there is a time crunch I would just do HR. sonoblast and I did it for the first time at EJS and we were both nervous. I went back a month later to do it and I was still a little nervous. (Love it). It is more off camber than Fins. You won't flop, but it just feels weird. If the wives are a concern, just stick with Fins. What do you think bretto?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 3:36pm
I doubt my wife will be riding along much in moab. Thats why we are taking the RV so her and the grand daughter can stay back and play.
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 3:48pm
Frankly, with a stock flatty...I think you would enjoy a little time on the slick rock, but doing some trails in Canyonlands yields far better scenery and picture taking.  The trails in Canyonlands, especially the upper rim trails leading down, are spectacular...its not called the "mini grand canyon" for nothin!  Just be sure to check the temp's during the time there, and have at least a duster top with you...and lots of water!
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>