Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2A from NM to NJ 1946 #29289

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ersatzS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2A from NM to NJ 1946 #29289
    Posted: 25 Jan. 2012 at 12:48am
bought this 46 from a farmer in NM.  serial 28289<<correction 29289>>>, column shift.  just finished power washing the underside so I can see what it looks like beneath the mud and the news is good. really no significant rust at all.  Original color was harvest green, peeking through many places.  upgraded with 11" brakes, and some other tweeks here and there but pretty original.  Koenig hardtop is really neat, has a canvas storage compartment behind seats.  Someone made a third seat for it you can see propped on handlebar of snowblower.  

Some obvious work to be done here and there but so far looks pretty good! 

Edited by ersatzS2 - 03 Feb. 2012 at 9:49pm
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2012 at 12:57am
Won't lose that one in the snow.LOL (seriously, nice findThumbs Up)
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Wurley Rancid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wurley Rancid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2012 at 1:13am
Nice Find!!!!
you should go purchase a lottery ticket---- now!!
that's one fine looking willys jeep.
how did you ever find that??
"Most of my money I spent on hunting, fishing, drinking and Willys jeeps. The rest I wasted."   BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER OF THE NRA
tazjeeper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2012 at 3:04am
that is a great looking jeep
52 m38
90 Grand Waggy
82 j10
80 j10
76 j10
92xj monster on 37's
75 2dr Cherokee
50's cj5 pick up on waggy frame. code name little purple muder.
99 JK better halfs toy
20 parts jeeps
ersatzS2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ersatzS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2012 at 4:43am
Originally posted by Wurley Rancid Wurley Rancid wrote:

Nice Find!!!!
you should go purchase a lottery ticket---- now!!
that's one fine looking willys jeep.
how did you ever find that??

I have been monitoring eWillys every week because a couple friends asked me to find them a flattie.  They didn't like this one because of the column shift and the cab.  But when I asked the owner for more detailed photos (it was on Craigslist)  I realized it had to be an original body, so I bought it for myself.  
While the body is terrific, it has been a working jeep for a long time and I have some chassis and suspension work to do.  Just bought new shackles and front frame horns from armyjeepparts, and last night noticed that the front tie rod was creatively welded.  I'm trying to figure out how far to go with the refresh...

wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2012 at 11:28pm
  Very nice. Can I ask what it cost to have it brought east? I'd love to find something like this. Maybe even twice.
oops1215 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oops1215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2012 at 12:17am
Nice looking!  Where are you in Jersey? I had mine shipped from Southern Cal.  I figured the shipping expense alone was far cheaper than the time and expense of rust repair needed on almost all of the reasonably priced Willys here on the East Coast!
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2012 at 1:19am
Originally posted by oops1215 oops1215 wrote:

Nice looking!  Where are you in Jersey? I had mine shipped from Southern Cal.  I figured the shipping expense alone was far cheaper than the time and expense of rust repair needed on almost all of the reasonably priced Willys here on the East Coast!

That is the honest truth. While solid jeeps are still available in the West it would be crazy for anyone who has the funds to start with a Northeast rot buggy.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

918jeeper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 918jeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2012 at 1:36am
Very Nice!  I also saw this one on Craigslist.  I'm glad somebody that appreciates a vintage jeep snatched it up!
1945 Willys MB S/N 433154

My Resto Thread

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=132906
ersatzS2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ersatzS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2012 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by wheelie wheelie wrote:

Very nice. Can I ask what it cost to have it brought east? I'd love to find something like this. Maybe even twice.

I have shipped a few cars across country and it works out to around $1500.  As someone posted, a small price to pay for a rust free car, at the same time, they bring higher prices out there so it's not an economical scenario.   It is cheaper if you don't need an enclosed trailer, but since it was winter I opted for a closed trailer.  I think I also got a few hundred off because so many cars were heading west to AZ for the collector auctions, and they were looking to fill the van coming east.  But I also paid an upcharge because the car was way off the beaten path.  So it all evens out...  
xbombtek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xbombtek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2012 at 8:28pm
Dang, how did I miss this if it was listed on Craig's List Cry

Congrats, looks like a great Jeep.
Dave

1947 CJ2A 109161
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2012 at 1:17pm
Hey has it still got the original motor? If so, what number? What's the ACM#? Fantastic find!
Love to get the data:
CJ2A Data Page

Edited by jpet - 01 Feb. 2012 at 1:28pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
ersatzS2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ersatzS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2012 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Hey has it still got the original motor? If so, what number? What's the ACM#? Fantastic find!
Love to get the data:
CJ2A Data Page

So far I have not been able to read the engine number except for a few digits.  Stampings are very faint.  I have to look up the different ACM locations, but unless it is filled in with paint, there doesn't seem to be one on the tailgate.  I think it was replaced since underlying paint is dark green vs pasture green everywhere else.  Also tailgate has a very well done rear lic plate carrier complete with wiring with workmanship that goes way beyond the average bubba.  Wondering what's up there.  tailgait hinge body half castings have part numbers cast in them.  Will keep checking and update the data page this weekend.
ersatzS2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ersatzS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2012 at 8:11pm
One thing leading to another....  Figured I'd replace the frame horns, but jeez the springs really are in rotten shape, like to go back to original C-style shackles, with springs off might as well check condition of front axle, then bought rebuilt steering linkage from a 2A lister etc, etc.

Edited by ersatzS2 - 28 Sep. 2013 at 4:02pm
ersatzS2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ersatzS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2012 at 7:45pm
Wow it sure is gratifying to use a bead blast cabinet!  Just got back from a friend's place, and it's like swapping new parts for old...
Figured with Easter here and everyone hanging stuff on trees, no one would notice if I primed some parts next to the garage!

kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2012 at 8:11pm
 All I said was, "Happy Easter, Honey! I did some decorating while you were at the Mall!" Big smile
then the fight started... Unhappy

Wink LOL
"You know, I'm too old a bunny to get very excited about all this."
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army
France: 5 June 1944

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

ersatzS2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ersatzS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2013 at 3:32am
Well it has taken a year and a half but finally made a massive push last week especially an all niter nearly on Friday and a full day today, but the 2A is back together.  Rebuilt/refreshed/refinished the entire front suspension with all new wearable items, and refreshed engine with new accessories, and pretty much stripped and re-painted whatever we felt like.  Amazing how noisy it is inside that steel cab.  Now to redo the rear half of the chassis and install the full-floating rear I got along the way.  And about fifty other items.  But it was great to have it on the road.  

F
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2013 at 9:07am
Looks great. Which brand of springs did you choose for the front?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>