Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 CJ2A 112207

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSGmonte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 46 CJ2A 112207
    Posted: 10 Apr. 2014 at 3:04pm
Ok so I picked up a 46 CJ2A from my grandfathers friend a couple years ago before my second deployment. I got home sat around for about 4 months staring at it trying to figure out what all I wanted to do to it then went out on another deployment! Well I am home again and have finally started working on my jeep. I had grandure plans of lifting it up putting a small block in it and modding the heck out of it, but when I started looking around I found a tag on the frame and 2 in the engine compartment with matching serial numbers. Now knowing that I feel it is my duty to go back to original. My grandpa is happy as can be because he is at the end of a multi-year restoration of a (I believe) 43 military jeep all original. (I will add pictures of his jeep and mine once I can figure it out and get a couple). So I have a couple questions now that I have started pulling the fenders, hood and radiator off. 1 Where is the serial number for the engine? I am trying to see if engine is original also. 2 I heard a rumor that back in the day when people would get an overhall on their engine, it would be painted blue? I ask because my engine is painted blue, any thoughts? A little about my jeep, I believe I found the barnyard steal, I was able to get mine for a couple hundred with a body that isn't completely horrible and it ran. it has 2 previous owners, the first guy bought it new and used it on his farm for years then his son added some metal to the frame and added a plow along with some after market lights then stored it for years till my grandpas friend bought it and stored it hoping to restore it and only brought it out to drive around my grandpas shop to annoy him because his didnt run yet. Finally he accepted that he wouldn't restore it so he offered it to me with a promise that I have to do something to it not just let it get more rusty. So that is where I sit with it now, any help would be greatly appreciated
SSGmonte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSGmonte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2014 at 3:16pm
SSGmonte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSGmonte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2014 at 3:17pm
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2014 at 3:21pm
Sarge,
Can't answer your engine color questions other that to say that anyone that pulled that engine out to work on it might have painted it any color.

If you look at the Tech FAQs page (a sub-forum of the Tech Questions and Answers forum) there are loads of things there that everyone can use at some time or another. Our old friend Sean, that doesn't come around any more, has created an excellent topic called The Spotter's Guide that has serial # locations and all kinds of other stuff to help one figure out what they actually have.  Here's a link:

Edited by smfulle - 10 Apr. 2014 at 3:51pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Joe J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2014 at 3:45pm
That's a great looking new project...
SSGmonte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSGmonte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2014 at 3:57pm
thank you so much for that link after running out to my jeep I have sadly found that my cast number is 803380 so I guess that means that I dont have the original motor but I will treat it as if it were, but I do have the original tub and tailgate ACM so that makes me feel a little better
SSGmonte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSGmonte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2014 at 5:09pm
I forgot to mention that previous owner converted the jeep from a 6 volt to a 12 volt system. I have found a couple of the 6 volt items in the vehicle. I would like to put it back to a 6 volt, currently I have bought a couple things from Keiser willys website, is there anywhere else that has good willy products? off the top of my head ill need new floor pans, wiring harness, full break job and other odds and ends.
SSGmonte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSGmonte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2014 at 6:45pm
ok so I am trying to pull the body off so i can sand blast the frame and start working on repairing the body work, but the problem i am having is i am not sure how to remove the peddles. Also i have brackets on the driver side and i see in the slide show that is for a top bow storage, is that for a top? I was given a back seat for the jeep but i noticed that it does fit in the space of the back but there are no holes to bolt it in, was this a factory add on or an aftermarket product?
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2014 at 6:56pm
Peddles come off easy, under the body there's a bolt that clamps the peddle shaft to the arm, remove the bolt completely and pull the peddle out with a twisting motion it should come right out.
Hard to say about the seat without a picture, they were a option and wouldn't be bolted in. It should pop right into the original floor if its the right seat as most came already setup for it .
OEM cj2a seat pictures and measurements

Edited by 48willys - 14 Apr. 2014 at 7:00pm
SSGmonte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSGmonte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2014 at 7:49pm
Ok, here is a couple more pictures, for picture 1 what is the silver handel? i thought at first that might be where my key goes because it is just hanging now but i have tried to fit it in the whole and its too big, that handle looks like it belongs their but there isnt anything behind it. Picture 2 and 4 show my matching serials on frame and body, for the bottom one on my body the print is double stamped, is that normal? Picture 3 is where i pulled my headers off, as you can see it looks rough in the feeding ports, its because the person i bought the jeep from had gas that was probably 30 years old in it and some how running it, any ideas how to clean that out? for picture 9 is that my tail light spot? there was a reflector over it that i removed. picture 5 are these brackets meant to hold a quick top for the jeep? pictures 7&8 just show what the 1st owner welded on to hold his plow so i will have to find a way to remove it without destroying the frame. My grandpa thinks him and i can cut it off with a plasma torch without doing too much damage.
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2014 at 8:14pm
The handle is to control the parking brake.  There should be a cable that goes through the firewall and then down and back to the parking brake that mounts to the rear of the transfer case.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
SSGmonte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSGmonte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2014 at 7:49am
Well its been a while since I posted, the summer got busy with getting married and other things. I have removed the body, with only minor issues and have removed the plow supports off the frame with multiple issues. I had my neighbor help me remove the supports and agravatingly found that the person who welded it on used 1/2 inch thicker steel than the frame so we couldnt cut it off with a torch and had to use a grinder. The guy also welded 100% around every piece that touched the frame, so he did some serious over-kill. While removing the body my buddy wasnt able to get my steering wheel off and decided to pull it apart where it hooks to the frame and inside it is empty now so i have to rebuild that now, o well. He also was trying to be helpfull and loosen my lugs for me cause I wasnt able to break them loose with my hands, and ended up breaking half of the left handed threads before we found out the were backward. live and learn. but in good news i opened up my trans and it looks amazing in there and believe i dont have to do anything, i will take a picture when i get back home from Germany. I also opened up my rear differental and luckily found a couple bolts that had started backing themselfs out from their lockers. those mettal tabs that fold up to hold them in place? so i happily found them before they became an issue. My next step when i get home is to pull the engine and trans and clean them up and try to get the frame to my uncle to sandblast and seal. body will be tarped and stored for the last part of the project. When taking the pedals off I think i found the reason why my brakes werent working, i took a picture.
SSGmonte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSGmonte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2014 at 7:56am
also is there anyone who is restoring or has resotred in the MN are? I'm in Anoka just north of the citys. Curious if anyone is close by that I can get ahold of when I'm beond stumped like with the lugs. Thanks guys
SSGmonte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSGmonte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2014 at 2:15pm

Another thought, When I rebuilt my carburetor with the master kit from kaiser willys the plunger they sent with it is a little larger than the old one. I'm not sure if its from age or what, my grandfather looked at it for me because it was stiff and he said it looked like where the plunger goes it was pitted. So I was thinking of taking one of my bore brushes from my gun cleaning kits and attaching it to a bore rod and using a screw gun to run in there. Any thoughts on if that will smooth it out and help the plunger move? it does move now it just a little stiff and will stick here and there. Any thoughts?

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2014 at 3:48pm
You’re going to continue to run into eccentricities and issues that an old flat fender offers.  Like left handed threads…brakes not working…stuck steering wheels.  Don’t even get me started on the leaf spring shackles.

When you come across an issue, come inside and search this site.  You will certainly find the answer to your question or concern.  Many here have discovered common and successful approaches when solving problems.

I hope you’re right about your transmission, but I offer you a caution.  Clean and shiny gears will not always suggest a lack of problems.  Much of the wear on the transmission is hidden. 

On your Carter rebuild… You will read that many have had a similar issue with the plunger.  There are some decent rebuild kits and not so decent rebuild kits.  When gasoline is added, the function of the plunger may improve, or get worse.  Cleaning the bore may help, but you may find you need to reduce the diameter of the plunger head.

This looks like a fun project to watch.  Keep it coming when you can.

Have a good day.

And thank you for your service to our country.

Tim 

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
SSGmonte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSGmonte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2014 at 7:27am

Yea your not kidding about stuck steering wheels.  My body is sitting in the back yard with the steering shaft still sticking out of the hole in the floor cause I couldnt get it out.  But I think I am going to grab the grinder when I get home, because I am going to replace the entire front floor pan anyways.  all my hat channels are ruined/evaporated in a cloud of rust, so thinking buying the entire piece is easier then trying to find someone to build and install them.

As for this site, Yea I'm going to try to use it more, the last 3 weeks I've been in Germany I've had a lot of spare time to crawl threw these threads and find a lot of good info (which thank you all of you!!!)

Thanks for bursting my bubble on the tansmission, now I will take it slow and easy when I get it running and not aim for a marathon.

I ordered new worm gear bearings and  rear crossmember V bracket and plate because I finaly found out what that was, a prior owner cut the v bracket off about 5 inch off the frame heading towards the tip of the V and i had been stressing about it a lot, thanks Zooke i found it in one of your threads

Will post more pictures when I get home

And Tim thank you for your support
SSGmonte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSGmonte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2014 at 9:05am
Ok so this is probably be a silly question so be gental. I have read a lot of threads and seen a lot of comments about patching a lot of holes. Question are the holes just rust spots or is something else going on?

I ask because my windshield looks like someone gave Bubba's son a screw gun with a drill bit and said have fun.

Second were mirrors standard on a 47 2a?
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2014 at 9:03pm
Only thing worse than bubba workin on a jeep is his SON!!! Ha ha the kid must of had a drill around mine to😤.
Good luck with the build. Glad your NOT dropping a small block in it👍
Thank you for your service.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>