Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

48 CJ2a | Keiths Project |

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w114kav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 48 CJ2a | Keiths Project |
    Posted: 16 Feb. 2013 at 10:45pm
Well I finally picked up the 48 today. Below are a few pictures of myself and my buddy Mike picking up the Jeep. I bought it from a member Tony down in Cincinnati. I am working on the wheel dollys tonight so I can get it out of the weather. I hope once that once I get the dollys finished I can get one on one with this bad boy and get a bunch more pictures.

Per Tony, it has never been restored before. Missing some things, seats, starter, etc. However I am pleased with the condition of the near untouched nature of this. It even has the original dealership stickers on the tailgate (very neat!).

Hope you all enjoy the viewing! This is going to be friiiiiiicking awesome! Lets go to work!

Keith

wait for it.................BOOM. Willys.

Thanks all!

Edited by w114kav - 19 Feb. 2013 at 3:32am
Keith
My Project
mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2013 at 11:50pm
Congratulations on your purchase!  It looks like a good one to start with.  Now that you have the "fever" there will probably be more jeeps to follow you home.

Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

w114kav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w114kav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2013 at 3:00pm
Thanks Bruce - problem with the 'fever' is that I already own a 2000 Cherokee - which is the the wife's vehicle - now the 48 2a. Including my everyday work truck we have three vehicles and a one car garage. You can guess what's in the one car garage Wink

My previous fever was a 96 Cherokee with a 4.5" lift, 33" super swampers. I hope that tonight I can get some more pictures of the 48 photo op up, maybe I can scrounge up a picture of the 96. Thanks.

Keith
My Project
kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2013 at 3:22pm
Keith,
Pic 9, at least that tire is holding air on one side.... Wink
She looks good!!!! Thumbs Up
"You know, I'm too old a bunny to get very excited about all this."
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army
France: 5 June 1944

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

w114kav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w114kav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2013 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by kilroy kilroy wrote:

Keith,
Pic 9, at least that tire is holding air on one side.... Wink
She looks good!!!! Thumbs Up

You have got to love frozen/dry rotted tires!
Keith
My Project
AlaskaCJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaCJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2013 at 8:01pm
Nice one!  Congratulations! Clap
48 CJ2A 212561
President, Alaska chapter of the IFFC

zooke581 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zooke581 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2013 at 1:46am
Looking good.    Looks like the tires on only flat on one side.
General William C. Lee Chapter of the 101st Airborne Division Association. B Btry 1/321 FA 76-78

http://va101stairborne.com
http://sundialmotosports.com
http://kalamals.com
w114kav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w114kav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2013 at 3:14am
So here is the next batch of photos. Basically just the overview.

Original dealership stickers! Way cool

1975 license plate....

Keith
My Project
zooke581 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zooke581 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2013 at 3:20am
So far looking better than mine.  But will know when I do a clean up.  Looking forward to whatching you progress.
General William C. Lee Chapter of the 101st Airborne Division Association. B Btry 1/321 FA 76-78

http://va101stairborne.com
http://sundialmotosports.com
http://kalamals.com
w114kav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w114kav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2013 at 3:21am

love this one

my Jeep is 'holy' - lol

very very 'holy' lol

my finished garage - for the new project

My first 'fever'. 96 Cherokee. Mean stance Evil Smile.I washed two years worth of dishes in high school to build this bad boy.
Sold it to a teacher of mine. She ended up driving to school everyday-which was pretty cool!

Edited by w114kav - 19 Feb. 2013 at 3:26am
Keith
My Project
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2013 at 2:21pm
Get to spraying her down and put some new shoes on her LOL 
WRMorrison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRMorrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2013 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by w114kav w114kav wrote:

Original dealership stickers! Way cool

Shelbyville, IL...cool!  I've been there many times (unfortunately, it was for court appearances as a young lad...lol...Shelbyville is the county seat for Shelby County).  I tried to Google the dealership name, but nothing came up.

-WRM

Edited by WRMorrison - 19 Feb. 2013 at 4:06pm
w114kav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w114kav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2013 at 5:56am
So I am getting around to starting the tear down of ol' Wilma (as my wife since named the newest jeep) but, I was hung up the last couple of days changing the head gasket out of my 2000 Cherokee. Let me say this. I was apprehensive to start the restoration. But. After the head gasket job? I am looking forward to something with less complexity too it. And less metric bolts. However I bought a sweeet torque wrench for the job which will come to great use during the engine rebuild of the 48!!!

Edited by w114kav - 21 Aug. 2013 at 3:36am
Keith
My Project
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2013 at 7:14am
What does it look like underneath? How are the hat channels? Looks very good other than those questions.
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2013 at 10:02pm
Rust in all of the right places. 

Drive it before you tear into it! 
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2013 at 12:58am
Very Nice!! I like it.......Best Wishes to you, Great Find! Haines GarageThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up
w114kav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w114kav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2013 at 4:34am
Originally posted by scoutpilot scoutpilot wrote:

What does it look like underneath? How are the hat channels? Looks very good other than those questions.

It looks fairly good. Half the of the hat channels are non exsistant meaning that about a fifth of the floor board needs replaced. I plan on cutting out the old and fabricating a new floor for it.

I often wonder what the engineers logic was behind the hat channel was - meaning that by designing a stiffener - which holds water - and by using an 'additional stiffener' (oak) which is a material that retains water - why they settled on their design. Anywho.

As I mentioned in my previous post - I am looking forward to working on something that is less complicated. I never thought the head gasket job would be as difficult as it was on the Cherokee - however - one learns something new everyday!

I am working on finishing my Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering between now and August as well as training for my second Ironman Wisconsin in September 2013. I did Ironman Wisconsing 2011. So I am a bit pre occupied and excited between now and September. If you want to get pumped up watch the video below!

Edited by w114kav - 16 Apr. 2013 at 8:49pm
Keith
My Project
w114kav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w114kav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2013 at 10:11pm
Here is another batch of photos!

Progress has been steady! Lack of updating though ...

Tub off !

Various state of rim cleaning...

PITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Body-less!

Guess this one looks like everyone elses....

Got rust?

The beauty of oil/grease and its ability to preserve

Needs some TLC

My wife loves to clean (sometimes! lol) the transmission etc was her job

Hitch bolt pull out! No good captain!

Liftoff! Yarrrrrrr

Empty -

65 Years worth of dirt...

Separated...

These were fun to move!

Should have taken more photos of the frame.... still time I guess.

I wanted to get some paint in some places and I went a bit overboard!

Lengthwise

Stay tuned!

Edited by w114kav - 08 July 2013 at 4:08pm
Keith
My Project
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>