Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - '48 Willys Jeep....(aka The Lockjaw Express)....
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'48 Willys Jeep....(aka The Lockjaw Express)....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El Mariachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '48 Willys Jeep....(aka The Lockjaw Express)....
    Posted: 23 Aug. 2016 at 12:03am
Afternoon, Folks, just got 'gifted' this olde CJ2A so I thought I'd join your forum and show ya what I got. She was originally purchased new by the U.S. Forest Service and then was bought sometimes in the early 60's by my future son-in-law's grandfather (a semi-famous bomber pilot over Europe in WWII). Sadly he just passed away a couple of months ago and the family decided that they'd entrust me to get her re-operational and back on the road....and hang onto her afterwards so that we can all enjoy her......so that was very cool of them.

Anyways she was running well & driven down their driveway back in '83 and then parked.....and has been sitting there ever since until last weekend when we flat bedded her down the street to our house. She's pretty much all original except for the 'newer' 12 volt system and the engine turns by hand, but everything else is gonna need the usual going over after we get the engine fine tuned and running. I love doing the mechanical stuff (I've had a ton of different 4x4's in the past four decades or so, but never a Willys), so that kind of stuff is my therapy and doesn't bother me. But it's the rusted floors that are irritating me-----'cuz I hate nothing more than spending moola on body work. Ugh.....

Anyways, here's some pics for y'all that might be interested in this project-----main concern is getting her running and safe to drive (at least to our local taco stand).....then sweat the body work later. I hate sheet metal work and can't weld a lick, but I am one helluva carpenter......so I seriously might fab up a semi-temporary floor out of Baltic birch plywood, some fiberglass and some two part epoxy. But I'll deal with that down the road.....'cuz who knows, maybe the Willys Sheet Metal fairy will pay me a visit some night......Cool

Cheers,

Rick

Edited by El Mariachi - 23 Aug. 2016 at 12:29am
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2016 at 2:02am
Welcome! Cool that the family wants to get this Willys back on the road. I see no pictures. Confused

Don't forget to add to the database! http://cj-2a.com/parts_list/CJ2A_data.php
El Mariachi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El Mariachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2016 at 2:20am
Thanx Dennis, re-configuring PhotoBucket as we speak.....should have some pics up shortly.....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El Mariachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2016 at 2:57am

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2016 at 3:13am
That looks in really good shape!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El Mariachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2016 at 3:29am
Not so fast there......Cool

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2016 at 4:36am
You have a nice jeep to start with. I wish mine looked that good when I started on it. Looks like front floor panels and maybe hat channel is all it needs as far as metal work is concerned.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2016 at 6:59am
LOL  It is still in really good shape, despite the rust I see.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2016 at 12:30pm
No doubt, thats a great start point. Please dont take this the wrong way, but resist the urge to go full bubba on the floors with plywood and epoxy. My PO went sheet metal and pop rivets and it really just isnt all that much more work to have done it correctly, imho...

Looking forward to hearing that it runs!
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2016 at 2:10pm
After restoring a 47 for more than 2 years that was mostly original, I can appreciate what you have - a mostly original 48 2A. It may look like a lot of work to repair and it is, but 2A's as original as yours don't show up too often. You decide how you want to repair/fix up, but I can assure you there are many envious owners out there that would love to trade with you!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El Mariachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2016 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

No doubt, thats a great start point. Please dont take this the wrong way, but resist the urge to go full bubba on the floors with plywood and epoxy. My PO went sheet metal and pop rivets and it really just isnt all that much more work to have done it correctly, imho...

Looking forward to hearing that it runs!

Yeah, I was just kinda kidding on the plywood and epoxy floor thingy.....it was only because among all the other stuff I gots going on, I've been slowly repainting the topsides on our neglected thirty seven year old Islander Peterson 40 sailboat with Pro-Line 3000 2 part epoxy primer/barrier coat in the hopes of making her pretty again. This paint works great as a primer over fiberglass, though it's marketed more like a metal primer.....so I thought there may be a use for it if I ever get real crazy on the CJ body and decide to really do her right. Oh well, one thing at a time, huh?....

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2016 at 4:13pm
Nice 2A.  Cool Story.

I am struck by how nice the cargo area and the wheel house tops are.  Especially when compared to the front floor pans.  I would be thrilled to find a Willys with sheet metal in this good condition.

Congrats!  And good luck.

Hawk

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El Mariachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2016 at 4:31pm
I guess she really is in better shape (for her age) than I thought......'cuz I just had another offer from a friend of mine to buy her right now. That's the sixth person in just four days that want her right now------which of course means I'm keeping her......:cool:
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2016 at 4:53pm
Lol.... everyone here that started with less is envious, trust me.  Mine was somewhat bubba'd back together some years back with a solid good faith attempt by what I gotta believe was a well meaning hobbyist.  When I get around to taking it frame off and straightening things out I'd much rather be where you are now...

Edited by mbullism - 24 Aug. 2016 at 7:01am
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2016 at 3:53am
Man that is a sweet jeep
I'd polish and drive as is,that paints awesome!
Good luck
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2016 at 1:53pm
Family originals are pretty cool. "Lockjaw Express"--------------have you had your Tetnus shot lately?LOL Take your time and treat the Jeep as your pal. Give it the good stuff. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Red Dog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2016 at 12:06am
Rick,
You are one lucky guy to get a Jeep in such great condition! My Jeep had been in the family all it's life since 1947 but not in nearly as good shape as yours. She looks like a fine lady so you treat her with lots of respect and you will have a great relationship which can continue down the line long after you're gone.
Wish you all the best and please, keep us posted on your progress!

Darrell
I work out at the gym so I can eat cookies!!!!
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2016 at 3:28am
Sweet!...... Very nice original. Paint looks to be Emerald green, CJ5 wheels, and the standard channel iron front bumper... I wouldn't touch that paint, get the floors fixed and get the mechanicals in order and run it!.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>