Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6volt solenoid wiring please help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6volt solenoid wiring please help
    Posted: 25 May 2015 at 8:00pm
I just bought a cj2a wohoooo! My question is: I can't get the jeep to start! I have try many different type connections! Can some one help me what cable I need to connect ? Thank you ! If you guys need picture please let me know! Thank you

Edited by Cjoe - 25 May 2015 at 8:03pm
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 8:56pm
Well if its like a ford solenoid, you need four wires. One coming from the battery to the solenoid and one wire going from the solenoid to the starter, these should be really largr gauge wire. You should have a wire coming from you key or botton to the s post on the solenoid, lt should be small gauge wire. You should also have one wire going from the battery to your amp gauge to the fuse block. That wire will give you power to your accesories. And ignition.
Cjoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 9:46pm
I have connected all the wires as mentioned and still no power when I turn the key! Any other advice? I have done so far connected battery to solenoid and to bat ignition switch! Small white cable connected from solenoid to s ignition switch! ! What else I need to do!
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 10:05pm
Your start position on the switch should have a wire going to the solenoid. What it will do is energize the switch which will open up the current between the battery and starter. Do you have power coming into the switch that should activate the starter solenoid?
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 10:05pm
There should be a large gauge wire (1/2 " or so) from the battery to the solenoid, and a same size to the starter.
There are different types of solenoids. On some the side terminal will be 6V--in that case you need to ground it to activate the starter. In others that terminal will be 0V, and it needs a 6V feed from the ignition switch.
The wire you have on the bat terminal looks like a feed to the ammeter or ignition switch--Where is the battery cable?
BOULDER 48 2A
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 10:10pm
From you pic the top terminal should have a large wiring going into it from the battery and the terminal on the bottom should have a large wire going to the starter. The wire on the side is probably the wire going to your start position on your key or button. These are assumptions so trace your wires and stuff.
Cjoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 10:31pm
Yes this is a 6volt I have connected the bottom to the Satarter, the top to the battery and to the bat ignition switch! As per my picture
Cjoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 10:37pm
The picture has been update ! Please let me know what else I need to do, and refer to grounding?
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 11:02pm
The solenoid should be grounded through the mounting bracket, make sure the mounting bracket screws or bolts are tight and the firewall is clean around and in the mounting holes. Now you have to make sure the wires are right for power and starting.
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 11:14pm
Sorry for all the posts but is the battery fully charged and is the solenoid new?
Cjoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 11:25pm
I checked and the solenoid is working, and I will update picture to from. Ignition!
Cjoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 11:29pm
Please see updated picture! I still have no power when i turn ignition switch! I'm sorry I'm a nob to the electrical system!
Cjoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 11:29pm
Battery fully charged!
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 11:49pm
This is where you need to trace wires and see where you have power and dont. Look up on here the wiring diagram of a cj2a and see if your wiring matches. So the starter wont engage when you turn the key or it just wont run?
Cjoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 12:02am
It won't engage! I have follow the cable lines, and the battery it's connected to the ignition so I know it's right! The white cable comes from the solenoid stat to the sta ignition! I hope that makes sense! What else am I missing! I also have a coil cable that doesn't make sense to me!
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 12:14am
Do you have a test light? If you do you can turn the key to the on position and see if you have power to the positive side of the coil. Also make sure you have power going into your switch on the battery screw on the back of the switch if you do then check the ignition screw for power with the key "on" position. You can also check if you have power coming out of the ignition switch by acting like you are starting the jeep while checking to see if you power at the solenoid screw on the back of the key switch.
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 12:33am
Make sure that all of the wiring connectors are NOT touching the frame of the solinoid or they may be shorting out.  A couple look very close.  Your switch should have a momentary connection in it.
Ed
cj2a lefty
Cjoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 1:34am
I checked power it's does have power, I have tested the solenoid start cable and connected to ground and it does work, the engine turns on! Now the switch is what it's not working! Any more ideas!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>