Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A few body questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A few body questions
    Posted: 24 Jan. 2015 at 2:20am
My CJ3A is getting sheet metal to cover the nasty tub around the outside; the guy who's doing this is a professional and his YJ looked magnificent. While he's doing this I'm going to have the rear end covered up to look like an MB. The side shovel and axe have always caught my attention... will I be able to mount them on the side of my 3A or do I absolutely need to make slots in my tub? The gas tank appears it would be in the way for that. I haven't found anything online about this. The tools look so perfect though!

Putting my MB grille on is going to be a project since my radiator isn't mounted to the frame. Does anyone have pictures of the mounts I need to make for the radiator? Or any tips?

Thanks for all the help everyone, it is greatly appreciated. I can't wait to get this on the road soon.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2015 at 4:05am
Originally posted by Nick_ Nick_ wrote:

My CJ3A is getting sheet metal to cover the nasty tub around the outside; the guy who's doing this is a professional and his YJ looked magnificent. While he's doing this I'm going to have the rear end covered up to look like an MB. The side shovel and axe have always caught my attention... will I be able to mount them on the side of my 3A or do I absolutely need to make slots in my tub? The gas tank appears it would be in the way for that. I haven't found anything online about this. The tools look so perfect though!

Putting my MB grille on is going to be a project since my radiator isn't mounted to the frame. Does anyone have pictures of the mounts I need to make for the radiator? Or any tips?

Thanks for all the help everyone, it is greatly appreciated. I can't wait to get this on the road soon.

So you are just "covering" the old sheet metal with new? Confused  Am I misunderstanding?

You could mount the shovel/ax now, but it will stick further out. The slots bring them closer to the body and they won't be in the way of the gas tank.

I agree the shovel/ax ad a coolness to the Willys!
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2015 at 4:28am
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

So you are just "covering" the old sheet metal with new? Confused  Am I misunderstanding?

You could mount the shovel/ax now, but it will stick further out. The slots bring them closer to the body and they won't be in the way of the gas tank.

I agree the shovel/ax ad a coolness to the Willys!
Yep. Over the internet it sounds awful but pictures don't do the tub justice. If you take a magnet and run it across the body, it won't stick. We peeled a chunk of bondo off about 3/8 of an inch thick. It's banana shaped on the sides, the lower 2 inches of the tub are gone, etc. There's been many years of neglect and poor craftsmanship on this Jeep and the tub is essentially beyond repair. The previous owner had to weld in an entirely new floor, so it's not like this is stock and worthy of saving. In fact I've seen tubs given away on here that look much nicer than mine. It's so awful that there are running jokes around the shop about it. The guy we know has re-paneled many Jeeps and builds racecar bodies, so it's getting done right. For cost/time/use effectiveness, this is the best route. My dream plan is to order a new tub once I've graduated college and stably on my own.

Do you know of any pictures of a CJ with the shovel and axe mounted? I'd love to see what it looks like before I decide to get crazy and make slots.
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2015 at 12:41pm
Check out Zooke's his is a DJ, basicily the same as a cj3a. He has some pictures at the end of his build thread with the tools. http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/another-addition_topic29957_page9.html
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2015 at 9:32pm
See how I did it (but not by sheathing over).

http://www.entnet.com/~personal/rocketeer/html/jeep/13thjeep.html

Larry
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2015 at 5:13am
Thanks for the links guy! Rocketeer, your website was a big inspiration to my 3A and I can't wait to finish painting and assembling the new parts on mine. I talked to the guy who's doing the sheet metal and the slots are going to be a huge pain for him to do, so I'll go without 'em and figure something out later. I'm not going for a 100% nostalgic look anyways, someday I'll buy an MB to be like that.

The radiator is still in the back of my mind. Buying a 2A radiator isn't necessary and I can just make brackets to mount mine, correct? Aren't they just tabs mounted on the crossmember and bolted through the radiator? I was checking out weewillys' at our event and that's what I could see from bending over.
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2015 at 12:19pm
How bout you jump in the deep end and try your hand at the work yourself and learn a new craft, if you don't know already? Use the money saved paying someone else on some new tools and you also get a whole different outlook on your project being its your own work.
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2015 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Nick_ Nick_ wrote:

Thanks for the links guy! Rocketeer, your website was a big inspiration to my 3A and I can't wait to finish painting and assembling the new parts on mine. I talked to the guy who's doing the sheet metal and the slots are going to be a huge pain for him to do, so I'll go without 'em and figure something out later. I'm not going for a 100% nostalgic look anyways, someday I'll buy an MB to be like that.

The radiator is still in the back of my mind. Buying a 2A radiator isn't necessary and I can just make brackets to mount mine, correct? Aren't they just tabs mounted on the crossmember and bolted through the radiator? I was checking out weewillys' at our event and that's what I could see from bending over.

There's no way to adapt a CJ3A radiator to the bottom mounts like a CJ2A. The bottom of the rad is different and it's missing the tab on top for the support rod a CJ2A requires.

Note each mount has a unique shape to match the bottom of the crossmember.

They have to be in the exact correct location and at the correct angle when welded to the crossmember.

Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2015 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by rocketeer rocketeer wrote:

There's no way to adapt a CJ3A radiator to the bottom mounts like a CJ2A. The bottom of the rad is different and it's missing the tab on top for the support rod a CJ2A requires.
Alright, thanks for the info. My radiator works extremely well, so I'll make some mounts for it to sit behind the MB grill on its own.
andyh1956 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyh1956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2015 at 9:26pm
with all these rusty jeeps maybe we could have a "rustiest jeep" thread or contest! I bet mine would win!LOL
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2015 at 2:54am
Interesting I have a CJ5 frame with 2A bottom radiator mounts. I would much rather have side mounts. But it is what it is.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply