Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adapting a Tach to a Diesel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adapting a Tach to a Diesel
    Posted: 29 Jan. 2014 at 2:52am
I’m helping my brother put a Mercedes Benz 5 cyl turbo diesel in his 1989 yj. I got most of the wiring worked out but I’m trying to figure out how we’re going to hook up the jeep tachometer. The Benz engine used a pickup sensor on the harmonic balancer that from my research only put out one pulse per revolution, the 4.2 I’m guessing puts out 6 .
The way I understand the way the original gauge works, the signal go’s right to the gauge not through the computer so that shouldn’t be any problem. So my question is, anyone know if I could just get a Hall Effect sensor like from a older ABS brake system, install it over the harmonic balancer and epoxy 6 small magnets to the balancer pully to trigger the tachometer?
andyh1956 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyh1956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2015 at 4:04am
the simplest hall effect sensor would be from a big truck. they use the same one on trans output & on the flywheel. two wire hookup, threaded body w/ two locknuts. go to a Navistar dealer & ask to see a speedo or tach pickup / sender for a mid '90s 9370 ih truck. that should fix you up! 
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2015 at 7:53pm
Stewart Warner p/n 82646 reads off the ring gear $33 at Summit. May work.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2015 at 12:23pm
Wow didn't think I would get any more ideas after almost a year lol. I think we got it worked out, it still isn't hooked up but we put a new alternator with the W terminal on it. From what I'm told all we should need now is a converter box and we can set the tach in the jeep useing a lazer tach.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
 Post Reply Post Reply