Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alum. Top For 11495

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alum. Top For 11495
    Posted: 17 Sep. 2014 at 5:58pm

Edited by BENSH - 17 Sep. 2014 at 6:03pm
    1945 CJ2a 11495
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2014 at 6:07pm
That looks nice on your Jeep Russ.  How do you like driving with it on?   Does it amplify the gear/road noise?

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2014 at 10:19pm
Thanks, I feel a draft up the back of my neck and hear the exhaust more is the biggest thing. It's not as noisy inside as I fought it was going to be. Are you getting any color in the trees your way? we need to work on a plan for the ride, and I gotta get my transfer case fixed. The shift rail on the i&O side is free, must be a roll pin fell out of the fork or something, if it is put together like the tower. Had to drive back from Edinburgh in hi-4 yesterday. Time to dig out then book again!
    1945 CJ2a 11495
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2014 at 5:01am
sweet! looks sharp. I keep hoping to score a top for mine soon.
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2014 at 1:11pm
You work quick! Looks much better on there than it did on the beater in my field!
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2014 at 2:23pm
Thanks guys! It went pretty well with my nephew helping. We spent about 5 hrs getting it all buttoned down and it is very secure. Haven't decided anything on the doors or rear hatch yet but may well decide to cut off that rear draft in the winter. Thanks again Bob, still needs a little "Bubba Love" put to it to finish up but it has fit up and come along very well so far.

So should I paint it?

Edited by BENSH - 19 Sep. 2014 at 3:58pm
    1945 CJ2a 11495
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2014 at 2:32am
Well, I haven’t gotten any comments on painting the cab so I think I’ll just go green, like the jeep.

But the question I have now is soundproofing insulation for all the obvious benefits. Anyone know of a self adhering, expanding foam type in a spray can? A brush on mix might work just as well if there is such a thing please let me know.Question
    1945 CJ2a 11495
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2014 at 2:59am
Not specifically what you asked for but you might want to Google and read up on DYNAMAT.

It's a stick on sheet type insulation/sound deadener that is being use in all the quieter streetrods these days.

They have different varieties for sound deadening, for temperature insulation or different combinations of the two.

Worth reading up on before you decide on something else.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2014 at 6:24am
Thanks for the lead, will check it right now.

* rocNroll; that looks like just the ticket and actually think I have seen it in use. If it was the same stuff it won’t be any trouble sticking it to the inside roof - super sticky - to the point of don’t mess up cause it don’t come off, right? Was glad to see it in rolls.

Edited by BENSH - 12 Oct. 2014 at 7:07am
    1945 CJ2a 11495
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2014 at 6:39am
I only just noticed the flared fenders on the back. Are they sheetmetal? They look pretty well made and smoothly installed.
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2014 at 6:50am
Originally posted by LesBerg LesBerg wrote:

I only just noticed the flared fenders on the back. Are they sheetmetal? They look pretty well made and smoothly installed.

Didn’t take long to discover mud was going to get slung up the back of my arm when I got the jeep so I went to the tractor store got a set or metal trailer fenders, split them down the center so I’d have the roll on the outside, and welded in place. I didn’t like the steep angle where they met the body so I stuffed the junction with Aeroglass and sanded to shape. Been happy with them, very functional and truly born of “Bubba Love”. Big smile
    1945 CJ2a 11495
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2014 at 7:24pm
They have the rubber extentions available that they started selling for the cj5's, but if you are interested, just post here again because I would have to look up the supplier.
The problem is, that I don't do pictures well!
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2014 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Not specifically what you asked for but you might want to Google and read up on DYNAMAT. 

Great lead! Got pkg this AM from Summit Racing and already ran out of the two rolls, will need just one more to finish up but this is going very well. I had to run the jeep down to the creek this afternoon just to see if it made a difference - W0W.

If the adhesive holds everything in place I’ll be very happy with it. Thanks. Thumbs Up
    1945 CJ2a 11495
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2014 at 1:38am

Have closed off the back end of the new cab. Want to get some type of canvas flap made to cover the opening.
Think I’ll see if JPet will make me a snap on canvas flap with a vinyl window for daylight.
Hope to get the rest of the cab painted very soon and will post new pics.
    1945 CJ2a 11495
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2014 at 11:59pm

The new -to-me cab is pretty much done. Painted it up as best I could for now.
Only thing left to do for now is get a canvas flap made for the dog-house.

I did chose to add a little bit of flavor to the project with tiger-stripes and a hood ornament of sorts.

1945 CJ2a 11495
 Post Reply Post Reply