Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

amazing willys jeep story!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HelderbergJeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: amazing willys jeep story!
    Posted: 16 Dec. 2014 at 3:21am

This story isnt mine but I found it tonight and it is amazing!
Check out the link and all the great pictures!

http://www.petrolicious.com/willy-s-jeep-carries-family-through-sixty-years-of-desert-adventure
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2014 at 3:50am
Wow that's cool. Thanks
jeepnut48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepnut48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2014 at 4:09am
Very touching story,nice photo's,jeep's have been an important part of your very adventurous family for a very long time! Thank's for posting this!Clap
cj2a51-10
Leonidas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2014 at 6:48am
Verry inspiring!

Thanks,
Luc
jeeps are great !
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2014 at 7:50am
LOVE THAT DASH. And what they did is exactly what I want to do with my Jeep
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2014 at 12:05pm
Great story. All I could think of is what a fit BLM would have now. I hate what they and the  Forest Service policies are now.  John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2014 at 12:55pm
Hey Heldeberg

That is one of the reasons I thought I had to have a Willys Jeep...I loved all the old stories....I think I was born too late to be a part of tho...Thanks for sharing...

Makes me wanna find that "Back to the Future" time machine.

MikeC
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2014 at 2:39pm
Hi Helderberg...thanks for posting that.. Neat dashboard in that jeep, interesting tail extension in the newer pics.
 You near Altamont by any chance? (I'm in Guilderland at the moment..)
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Oldwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2014 at 2:42pm
I hate stories like this! It makes me long for the good old days.When I was a boy,our family would go for week long primitive camp outs,we had a 66 jeep and a homemade trailer,loaded with gear.What I miss most is,we would drive old back roads,spot a good location along a creek or river,pull over and set up camp,nobody minded at all.................Oh how I miss the innocent layed back days!
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2014 at 3:18pm
That is a cool article. Aircraft gauges, that's brilliant!
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
HelderbergJeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HelderbergJeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2014 at 3:44pm
I love the story, but also am upset by it. I am 26 and have never done anything like in the story and I probably never will be able to thanks to all the government regulations and tree huggers. How am I to enjoy nature if I can't experience it in a old jeep with a simple trailer!?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HelderbergJeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2014 at 7:22pm
Yes bill I am located in Altamont! I work right in town 104 maple ave.
MIZZOU29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIZZOU29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2014 at 7:45pm
Cool Story. I epsecially like the Inclinometer and Barometer next to the E-brake handle. altogehter well done. Anybody have an idea, what that is hanging between the wiper motoers in the pic of the dash? (defroster/heater maybe?)
Tact is for those without the intelligence for sarcasm.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HelderbergJeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2014 at 7:49pm
That is I believe from the article  a home made water evaporating "air conditioner" since they spent most of the trips in the desert. 
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2014 at 1:54am
I believe this is the same jeep/story that was featured on the CJ3b page. There may be more story and photos over there. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2014 at 2:10am
Cool story and photos!
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2014 at 3:53am
I have poured over that Dash photo for a couple hours. That is in fact a Swamp Cooler. water comes up from a reservoir somewhere through the small diameter hard line you see to the right of the unit its attached to the spray bar/drip bar on the top (the aluminum tube) it then filters down through what appears to be some sort of burlap like fabric possibly some other type of porous fabric. As the water wets the fabric the air coming into the vent below the windshield atomizes it and as a rest it is cooled as much as 20 degrees from the surrounding air. The water not blown off as vapor cooling the area in the front of the jeep is caught in the black rain gutter looking catch pan at the bottom and if you look closely with your monitor turned up you can see the larger black line that exits under the unit and through the dash I assume to be returned to the reservoir if not to just be dripped on the ground some where on the other side of the firewall (I'll bet its returned to the reservoir)
What I want to know is what is that Bicycle shift lever looking control mounted on the right front corner of the drivers seat frame. The only thing we can come up with is a cable control for a PTO (the winch does appear to be a PTO powered unit. Giving him the ability to have one had on the wheel without stooping over to reach the normal short PTO stick on the floor.
In any case I down loaded and printed out a NICE 8X 10.7" color glossy print of that Dash and have it on my planning/inspiration board

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2014 at 4:24am
Originally posted by HelderbergJeep HelderbergJeep wrote:

I love the story, but also am upset by it. I am 26 and have never done anything like in the story and I probably never will be able to thanks to all the government regulations and tree huggers. How am I to enjoy nature if I can't experience it in a old jeep with a simple trailer!?

I get upset about the same thing. From tons of story reading, I believe out west in Colorado/Utah area you can explore like this without getting in trouble (caught?). Knowing my luck I'd break down and get stranded, so I'll stick to big ORV parks LOL If you're really in for an adventure you can go to another country. Watch some Top Gear UK special episodes such as Bolivia and Africa.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>