Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

American Bantam Plow!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: American Bantam Plow!
    Posted: 07 Feb. 2015 at 10:44pm
Over at www.farmjeep.com, we received pictures of two American Bantam labeled plows.  Ted, the owner of one of the plows was looking for any information we might have.  You can see the pictures and read about our research progress at our blog post here.

We would appreciate hearing from anyone with information about these plows or other implements carrying the American Bantam tag.

Thanks,
Barry 
https://www.farmjeep.com/
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2015 at 1:14pm
The results of our early research are posted at http://farmjeep.blogspot.com/2015/02/american-bantam-plow-more-of-story.html.  

The summary is that Bantam did produce farm implements for Newgren, starting in late 1948.  Newgren was pretty much out of business by early 1950.  So we are guessing that the Bantam tagged plows were sold sometime after 1950.

Lots more to this story and we are still digging.

Thanks,
Barry 
Oakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2016 at 1:59am
We know Bantam and Willys were still fighting over the jeep/Jeep name.
Note that Bantam was not the trailer listed in The Willys Catalogs, Spen was. This was done on
 purpose to end Bantam. I wonder if that's why Monroe and Stratton were used as the 3pt hitches and Newgren was no longer listed in the Willys Jeep manuals?
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES, THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2016 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Oakes Oakes wrote:

We know Bantam and Willys were still fighting over the jeep/Jeep name.
Note that Bantam was not the trailer listed in The Willys Catalogs, Spen was. This was done on
 purpose to end Bantam. I wonder if that's why Monroe and Stratton were used as the 3pt hitches and Newgren was no longer listed in the Willys Jeep manuals?

From the research we have done, I believe the death blow to Bantam was a combination of self-infected wounds and Monroe's move to remove the Newgren lift from the market place.  Bantam's corporate papers are held in a private collection.  There is some information on Monroe open to the public.  So much of what happened will remain a mystery.

However, based on newspaper reports, the end of Bantam came after the take over by Monroe, not as a result of its fight with Willys.  After WWII, Monroe was making use of all the technical knowledge they gained during the war.  That included hydraulic engineering and molding techniques.  They produced everything from hydraulic tractor and truck seats to golf balls.  The hydraulic lift for the jeep was one of those products.

Monroe had a strong relationship with Willys, which was located "down the road" from Monroe, Michigan.  I know that Monroe engineers worked directly with Willys on the development of the lift.  The history of why and how Monroe gained control of Newgren is still being studied and I'd be willing to share what we know, if there is interest.

Barry
Oakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2016 at 11:15pm
 Always interested. I spoke with the son of  the owner of Spen and he didn't have any paperwork or catalogs. The guys at Dana put me in touch w/ a gent who was an apprentice, Brown Lipe, when the first three military jeeps were being tested. He said all the paperwork they had went to Roos daughter who was supposed to copy and return it but never did. She still has it but that was over 10 years ago.
I did ask him if they ever tested differential lockers and he said yes. They all went off to the Pacific. Naturally they were placed in the front end he said!!

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES, THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2016 at 2:20am
Somewhere I have several of the articles detailing the Monroe takeover of Bantam and the lawsuits that resulted. I'll see if I can find them.

Bill, when you say Roos's daughter, you mean Lady Delmar Fall? You were able to get in tough with her???
I've been trying to get her to answer my inquiries for over 15 years both in the US and England.

I noticed that Roos's papers started appearing on the internet about 5 years ago.

As for the Monroe/Willys connection, that was simple. Ivan Schatzka.
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2016 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Somewhere I have several of the articles detailing the Monroe takeover of Bantam and the lawsuits that resulted. I'll see if I can find them.
As for the Monroe/Willys connection, that was simple. Ivan Schatzka.
I would like to see the articles too and to hear more of the Monroe/Willys connection.  I wrote in this blog http://farmjeep.blogspot.com/2015/07/historic-trip-monroe-lift-museum.html about Jerry Wittkop.  He started with Monroe as the lift was being developed.  I'm sure he would be enjoy hear about the connection too.

Barry
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2016 at 2:21pm

Start here:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1350&dat=19480705&id=ufYjAAAAIBAJ&sjid=RgAEAAAAIBAJ&pg=1908,1510900&hl=en

or this

http://openjurist.org/193/f2d/616/in-re-american-bantam-car-co-et-al

There is still another article I can't find right now that details how Bantam felt duped by Monroe that they were promised to be a merger of equals when in fact it was a hostile takeover to take Bantam's cash.

Bill - Are you talking about one of Barney's two daughters from his first marriage that ended in 1938?
or his daughter from his marriage to Francis Schreiner?

Curious that the Roos obit says he lived in Brooklyn when his wife's address was in Philadelphia?
Oakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2016 at 2:02am
My family was from Brooklyn.
If I can find the gent who gave me some Willys/Jeep ads I'll call him again, if still alive.
If you have a number I'll call. I'm rather relentless.
Ever have someone thank you for stalking them?
 Post Reply Post Reply