Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Arrow 41 tail light rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arrow 41 tail light rebuild
    Posted: 18 Aug. 2016 at 11:22pm
I'm in the process of rebuilding a couple Arrow 41 trailer lights for my T3-C. Just got them back from the powder coater and going to put them back together this weekend. My question is the face plate screws, side internal plate attaching screws and the rear carriage bolts, were they originally painted black, shinny chrome, zinc or what. I'm tempted to go get new zinc ones as the old are not in the best of shape or matching, but the shinny just does not seem right. I've seen some pics on the web with new shinny and they just seem off. Input is appreciated.
HCAT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2016 at 12:08am
I just finished the Arrow 41 I removed from my trailer.    The trailer was green originally and was re painted orange at some point long ago.  The light was rusty, but untouched and I could not find any paint on those screws and bolts.  After I cleaned up the reflectors, I did not find and green on the mounting hardware either.   I've since replaced the Phillips head w/slotted, but still too shiny.

Edited by HCAT - 19 Aug. 2016 at 12:14am
Dave
44 Willys MB
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2016 at 3:35am
Once finished, I'll post some before and after shots. I'm thinking I'll paint black.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2016 at 3:51am
Maybe nice new ones 'aged' the proper amount with either toilet bowl cleaner or vinegar? (Then, thinned black paint)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2016 at 8:54am
I have a NOS (mounted now) Arrow 41, all the screws are unpainted with maybe a cadmium coating. A dull grey, similar to a galvanized nail.
Dave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2016 at 2:37pm
Does anyone know the wire colors for these? Was there any feedback on the plugs on these? Looking at the pics and info on the Bantam T3-C page, I'm assuming there was originally a pig tail off the taillight and would plug into the harness after the wire and loom passed inside the frame channel. Are period correct connectors available? I'm thinking I want to add a 3rd wire for a positive ground to avoid the paint/possible future rust poor/intermittent connection issues.
HCAT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2016 at 1:01am
The wires on my trailer appeared to be black under the loom, but very, very poor condition.  I am not sure  they are the original, but based off the rest of the trailer it looks probable.  

When I pulled them out, there was one connector for each of the two wires.   I think they were closer to the front of the trailer near one of the metal wire brackets .  I will post some pics of the connectors as soon as I can.
Dave
44 Willys MB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2016 at 4:24am
Thanks
HCAT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2016 at 8:54pm
Here are the connectors and a little of the wire that was left.

Dave
44 Willys MB
 Post Reply Post Reply