Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

back up light ideas?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: back up light ideas?
    Posted: 30 Apr. 2016 at 6:37am
Mark W made a prototype reverse light switch and I am at the beginning of installing my wiring harness. I would like a back up light and thought the brain trust here would have some great ideas.

????
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2016 at 1:50pm
I used a spare front marker light . Its small enough to put out of the way and weather tight.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2016 at 3:32pm
One of our genius young members Nate (garage gnome) build a few and sold them. He doesn't have any more, but you might get some ideas from his design. Don't see much of Nate anymore.
Here's a link to his creation.

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/t90-reverse-light-switch-and-bracket_topic18598.html
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2016 at 3:42pm
That is such a nice, simple way to mount the switch. Thumbs Up Good design.
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2016 at 4:10pm

Mine is a little different.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2016 at 4:17pm
I have no plans to make a bunch of these at this time. HOW ever should there be enough interest and if people are patient. So that I could make them up in a batch at some point I could do that.

I don't know if I would have time this summer but for sure this winter during my lay off from work I could whip a bunch of the brackets and the switches can be easily sourced on line or even locally. My local electronics store carried them.

As to cost I would have to figure out how long it takes to make them in a batch and the material cost.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2016 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by sandusky sandusky wrote:

I used a spare front marker light . Its small enough to put out of the way and weather tight.

Here is his Back Up Lamp: Very Good Use of Original Willys Parts!

Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Pat T. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 12:33am
Mark
Do you think that setup will fit when you set the tub over the transmission. Looks like it might hit the tub.

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 2:33am
Pat T. I really have no way of knowing. My tub is being assembled from about 40 parts right now and my transmission while completely rebuilt is not even in the chassis.

What I can tell you is that the two 3/4" square arms do not stick up above the level of the Shift Rod boss's on the back of the tranny and it all (including the posts on the switch) sticks out past the back of the Shift Rod boss's 1.5" SO if you can cut a piece of wood 3/4" thick x 1 3/4" wide by 4 1/2" long behind the Shift tower on your transmission with your Tub this will fit with a little clearance.

If Mike S. starts cussing and throwing tools we will all know I need to redesign something. LOL. He's the Beta tester on this.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 4:28am
I mounted the BUS (Back Up Switch) today. The fit is close on my repop tub, but doable. Iadded a small piece of split loom held in place with auto GOOP. I made a pigtail long enough to integrate into the wiring run and sheathed it in asphalted fabric loom. 

When I got everything tightened up and was replacing the top cover I found a slight interference at the driver side rear corner. I took off about 1/8" (a round over, really) and everything went back together. 

Excuse the hasty photo… but t was hot out on the driveway this afternoon.

Thanks, Mark. Looking forward to miles of well lighted night retreats. I think I am going to try using a 12V LED puck light mounted on the rear cross member. 

Edited by Mike S - 01 May 2016 at 4:32am
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 4:46am
I knew it would be a tight fit. And with seemingly every Tranny Tub combo different I am sure there would be some this mount wouldn't work with. SOOOOO glad it worked in yours. Have you actually tested the operation to see if the switch operates? Or if it needs adjustment?

I'm only 14 months behind you Mike LOL.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 4:53am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

I knew it would be a tight fit. And with seemingly every Tranny Tub combo different I am sure there would be some this mount wouldn't work with. SOOOOO glad it worked in yours. Have you actually tested the operation to see if the switch operates? Or if it needs adjustment?

The way it is set right now, it fully depresses the button when moved into reverse. I will check for continuity when I get a minute.

Well, there are a LOT of T90 transmissions out there, Mark. I'm sure a lot of owners are like me and would like an automatic back-up light. The neat thing about the T90 is the end of the shift rail rods are accessible. I have an SM420 in my garage right now that doesn't have any back up switch… you need to drill to fab one, it looks like.

I'm only 14 months behind you Mike LOL.

Maybe I should bring my Willys up there so you can get a look at one that is finished… to sort of inspire you, or sumthin'.

Edited by Mike S - 01 May 2016 at 4:57am
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 5:00am
That's nice… I'm thinking LED would fit there and provide more light.

Originally posted by 48cj2a 48cj2a wrote:

Originally posted by sandusky sandusky wrote:

Here is his Back Up Lamp: Very Good Use of Original Willys Parts!

'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 6:09am
I tried and tried the backup light switch like the one the garage gnome built in the link above.  I fabricated my own bracket and used several different types of momentary switches, but could not make them work.  I even built my own momentary switch with cast epoxy, but still couldn't make it work.  Best I remember, my main problem was clearance. For some reason I didn't have enough clearance between the body and the switch/bracket.  I even cut a little bit out of the body but still couldn't make it work.  

So this is the type I ended up using.  These are not my pics (I would give credit if I could remember where I got them).  I couldn't find my actual pics, but this is the exact setup I used, except I didn't seal up the shift rail holes.  They do need to vent when the rods move back and forth, else they act like little pistons.  I know I've seen some later (?) model T90 with the shift rails capped, but mine weren't.  And yes, they do leak a little bit of oil.  But then mine leaks a little bit of oil from just about everywhere.  I have learned to live with it.  The oil from these shift rails never makes it to the ground anyway.

These backup switches are very common and inexpensive.  I think I bought mine from O'Reillys and it was around $12 or something like that.  I just figured out the angle at which the terminals would clear the transmission cover and then drilled and tapped the control housing to match the switch's threads.  I installed the switch just flush or a little shy of the inside rail diameter.  The detent ball of the switch extends into the rail tunnel and that is what make the contact in the switch.  Mine works perfect.

1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
74bass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 4:17am
Dumb question, but can you explain how that switch triggers the reverse lights to turn on?  Anyone have any other ideas on reverse lights as these are obviously not included in wiring harness but is something I am looking to complete.  
74bass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 4:36am
Dumb question, but can you explain how that switch triggers the reverse lights to turn on?  Anyone have any other ideas on reverse lights as these are obviously not included in wiring harness but is something I am looking to complete.  
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 7:09am
In the threaded end of the switch there is a ball bearing backed by a spring. The threaded end is crimped so the ball bearing cannot come out. When the reverse shift rail is moved rearward (into reverse gear) the ball is pushed upward into the switch and continuity of the circuit is completed thus lighting the backup light(s). Just make sure that you mount this type switch far enough back in the control housing shift rail hole that it disengages when the transmission is shifted out of reverse (i.e. When the reverse shift rail moves forward, the ball bearing pops back out of the depressed position and opens the circuit.

Here's a backup switch similar to the one I used.

[URL=]http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-by-bwd-back-up-light-switch-s9151/5970318-P?searchTerm=backup+switch#[/URL]
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

I tried and tried the backup light switch like the one the garage gnome built in the link above.  I fabricated my own bracket and used several different types of momentary switches, but could not make them work.  I even built my own momentary switch with cast epoxy, but still couldn't make it work.  Best I remember, my main problem was clearance. For some reason I didn't have enough clearance between the body and the switch/bracket.  I even cut a little bit out of the body but still couldn't make it work.  

So this is the type I ended up using.  These are not my pics (I would give credit if I could remember where I got them).  I couldn't find my actual pics, but this is the exact setup I used, except I didn't seal up the shift rail holes.  They do need to vent when the rods move back and forth, else they act like little pistons.  I know I've seen some later (?) model T90 with the shift rails capped, but mine weren't.  And yes, they do leak a little bit of oil.  But then mine leaks a little bit of oil from just about everywhere.  I have learned to live with it.  The oil from these shift rails never makes it to the ground anyway.

These backup switches are very common and inexpensive.  I think I bought mine from O'Reillys and it was around $12 or something like that.  I just figured out the angle at which the terminals would clear the transmission cover and then drilled and tapped the control housing to match the switch's threads.  I installed the switch just flush or a little shy of the inside rail diameter.  The detent ball of the switch extends into the rail tunnel and that is what make the contact in the switch.  Mine works perfect.

That is pretty slick, Rick. Why did you find it necessary to block the shift rod passage? Maybe I missed that part?
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>