Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bantam/Hiawatha Trailer #2 - NEW PICS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakyshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bantam/Hiawatha Trailer #2 - NEW PICS
    Posted: 30 Apr. 2012 at 2:16am
Originally posted by 48cj2a 48cj2a wrote:

Originally posted by nhp1127 nhp1127 wrote:

I am fairly certain that these Hiawatha trailers were sold not thru Sears but thru the large Mid West department store chain called "Gambles". Look it up on the net. They carried a full line of "Hiawatha" branded products such as Bicycles, picnic coolers (which I have and researched), outboard engines and a bunch of other things.  

I've been contacted about another Bantam T3-C trailer with an odd dataplate which turns our to be a Hiawatha based on images and the tailgate stencil from sn 29778-G (bottom of the BantamT3-C webpage.

Another intersted party wanting to purchase it contacted me and began some research after I told him it was a Hiawatha.

I stand corrected as it turns out is was indeed marketed and sold by Gamble Skogmo commonly know as Gamles. I found a Trademark site confirming the Hiawatha script style and font confirming it is owned by Gamble Skogmo at

I now need help from our Bantam lovers/owners to find an ad from a Gambles catalog in the range or 48-51.

Well it turns out that I'm the "interested party" that Art was talking about above. Smile That said, the next thing I want to say is that Art has been a great source of information and help!  He has also been very patient with me and my questions and for that I am extremely thankful.  Thanks Art!

I brought the trailer home this weekend.

It does have the same style of serial number that is found on the other known Hiawatha trailer (see Art's T3C trailer website) and the numbers are only 18 apart (this one is 29760-6).  I have not been able to find remnants of the decal on the tailgate.  It has been painted at least once over the years.  I will likely be reaching out to the group here for advice on how to proceed with this trailer in terms of preservation/restoration.  I did not set out to get a full restoration project but if this is truly an important/rare piece I am more than happy to do what is proper to fix it up.

Edited by shakyshot - 18 May 2012 at 8:39pm
1947 CJ-2A #103586 "Les"
1947 Bantam T3C Hiawatha "Moore"

Hayes Family CJ-2A
Montana Rocky Mt. Flat Fender Club
captnjody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captnjody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 1:09am
I have what I believe could be a Hiawatha. It came out of Colorado some years ago.
It had no data plate, and I assumed it was a TC-3, perhaps 50 or
51 model. I have yet to find any numbers on this trailer anywhere. It is virtually identical to the one on the btc-3 page.
Original Color is a dark green. Does anyone know of there are any positive id markers that could be found on these trailers? I will try to post pics later tonight.

Edited by captnjody - 02 May 2012 at 1:11am
1951 CJ-3A "Johnny Reb"
1948 BTC-3
1946 CJ-2A; 16004; column shift
1970 Deuce "Jacks Revenge"
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 2:29am
Congrats Justin!

It was and is a pleasure to help someone with their questions on these trailers and even a greater pleasure when such a rarety pops up (this being the second in two years of standing up the website).

As for identifying one of these, the dataplate and a Hiawatha stencil on the tailgate would be the only identifying markings that I know of so far.

Hopefully Justin will take his time on this trailer and inspect the frame for any addtional markings that are currently unknown.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
shakyshot View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakyshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 3:10am
Originally posted by 48cj2a 48cj2a wrote:

Congrats Justin!
 Hopefully Justin will take his time on this trailer and inspect the frame for any addtional markings that are currently unknown.

LOL  Hopefully this post calms your concerns.  I am in no hurry to fancy up this trailer Bubba style just to use it.  I am on the road 4 days a week so unfortunately you won't get detailed (by this I mean pics and such) info updated until the weekends.

As for looking for other markings do you have any suggestions for where to look first Art?  

I'm also now on an obsessive hunt for and advertisement for these things.

Edited by shakyshot - 02 May 2012 at 3:11am
1947 CJ-2A #103586 "Les"

Hayes Family CJ-2A
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by shakyshot shakyshot wrote:

As for looking for other markings do you have any suggestions for where to look first Art?  

I'm also now on an obsessive hunt for and advertisement for these things.

Since the first restore job was done with no regard for this purpose its going to be a labor of love to find anything of significance - that is if there is anything to find.

We know the ACM numbers stopped when the WWII tubs and parts were used up so there will not be one. I would suggest lightly sanding the layers of paint on the tailgate to see if that stencil or decal is there and also to find the original color.

As for the advertisement - I'm with you there and have had no luck with a 48 or 55 Western Auto catalogs owned by Gambles.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
45 T3-C #191 Project
shakyshot View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakyshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 1:14am
So this coming weekend I will be trying to find remnants of the stencil on the tailgate.  Expect lots of pictures of lots of pieces so I don't miss anything.  

That said I want to do a pretty solid resto on this but to do that I will need to acquire some parts.  For example I have decided to replace the floor.  Collecting all of the goodies will take me some time however and unfortunately this trailer will have to live in a barn without doors for a while so it will have some exposure to the weather.  I was thinking that once I go through it looking for markings and such I should get a coat of paint on it to protect it with the intention of stripping that paint as part of the resto. I do know that the original color was red.  What do the more experienced folks here on the forum here think about that plan?  

Edited by shakyshot - 17 May 2012 at 5:38pm
1947 CJ-2A #103586 "Les"

Hayes Family CJ-2A
shakyshot View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakyshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2012 at 8:39pm
Got some images of what is left of the stencil!  Pretty cool that some of it was even remotely visible.  There pretty big to show the detail.  If anyone wants the higher resolution images I can email them to you. More pics of other parts of the trailer to come.

1947 CJ-2A #103586 "Les"

Hayes Family CJ-2A
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2012 at 10:02pm
I knew you would find it!Thumbs Up
Leads me to believe this is a stock Hiawatha color as well. 

Send me the hi resolution pics

Edited by 48cj2a - 18 May 2012 at 10:03pm
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
45 T3-C #191 Project
shakyshot View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakyshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 4:39am
Art - I don't think that the blue is an original color.  I have included some pics below that show what appear to be spray paint streaks.  I have also added all of the images I have so far to my website that shows the red coming through in a lot of places (I will also send you the pics Wink).  

Give them a run for their money right? LOL

Here is a pic showing the red showing through under the blue.

Edited by shakyshot - 22 May 2012 at 4:44am
1947 CJ-2A #103586 "Les"

Hayes Family CJ-2A
shakyshot View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakyshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 4:43am
I have a question about the hub cover plates.  There is one with grooves and one without.  What do I have with those?  Also would there have been any kind of logo/stencil/decal on these plates?

1947 CJ-2A #103586 "Les"

Hayes Family CJ-2A
rrivera1833 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrivera1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 3:23am
The red showing through may be the primer, that what was under mine.
2nd LT Rivera/ SSgt Rivera USMC

48 CJ2A
T3-C Bantam #655
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 12:11pm
The axle covers have never been brought up so further investigation may be in order. I still need to go throught the pics you just sent me but I wondered if the Blue was repainted over a stock trailer for the Hiawatha contract. Can you tell what layer the stencil is on?
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
45 T3-C #191 Project
shakyshot View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakyshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 3:08pm
rrivera - I suppose it is possible that the red is a primer although red was supposed to be a stock color at the time.

Art - The stencil appeared after about a half-hour or so of gentle wet-sanding of the blue layer with a 1500 grit pad.  Once I found the stencil I kept sanding on one of the letters until the white paint of the stencil started coming off and it appears that there is red under that.  The final piece of evidence is the picture below.  You can see that Bubba welded some bolts onto the sides of the trailer, for some kind of spraying apparatus according to the guy I bought it from, and they have the very same blue paint on them.  It is quite clear by the bolt heads left on, how crooked they are, and the holes blown through next to the welds that not only did Bubba have questionable welding skills but that these are not stock features either.

By the way, did the hub cover plates ever have a logo or anything on them?  I don't see anything on the ones I have but I just wondered.

1947 CJ-2A #103586 "Les"

Hayes Family CJ-2A
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 3:25pm
Justin,

I love the names of your jeep and trailer. Thumbs Up
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
shakyshot View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakyshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 3:31pm
Stan,

Thanks.  The Jeep is named after my grandfather (Leslie Hayes) who originally bought it and the trailer, well it just made me chuckle.

1947 CJ-2A #103586 "Les"

Hayes Family CJ-2A
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2014 at 8:12pm
Any updates on these Hiawatha trailers? Bringing this up because I found some light blue under atleast 2 other colors on my trailer. Under the blue is red. It's a baby blue color. Perhaps a faded blue. Can't really tell if was an owner's repaint or what. 
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2014 at 5:56pm
Sorry - have not heard from anyone on a Hiawatha in a very long time.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
45 T3-C #191 Project
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2014 at 3:17am
 Thanks. I am doubting this is a Hiawatha, the more I look at it. Putting it aside for now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>