Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bantam T3-C, cheap and rusty

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bantam T3-C, cheap and rusty
    Posted: 01 Feb. 2016 at 5:33pm
I picked up a T3C. As the title says, it was cheap (50 bucks) and pretty rusty. To get it home, I cut it up to fit into a Chevy Tahoe (yeah, the whole trailer. I did it because it isn't registered and I live on an island, so the ferry costs a whole lot more to haul a trailier across- like $70 more), so the pictures wouldn't mean too much right now. But it will be welded back together with some improvements. It won't be a restoration by any means- jsut not worht it on this one) I really picked it up for the solid wheels. It will be rebuilt though more to functional standards. I'll sell the wheels to fund the project. Here are some of the details, but unfortunately it didn't have a data plate (had the rivets remaining) :

-solid disc wheels/Kelsey Hayes, stamped 12/45 and 1/46. i think they are referred to as 45/45 style
-no hole in the casting
-fulton hitch (wheel intact, but minus the lower part of it)
-original chains but  the hooks have been replaced
-second style of shackle mounts (but they've been butchered and I will be looking for some take-offs or will fabricate my own)
-no Arrow tail lamp, unfortunately; right side aftermarket lamp put in also
-no blackout lamp switch hole
-no parking brake mounting holes
-spring hangars are bolted
-no ACM # or data plate, but rivets are still there on front panel
-"U" type shackle, looks original
-3 hooks on each side, 1 front and rear
-sheet metal supports in rear lamp area
-bow pockets with remnants of wood hoops
-can't find stencils and not sure on overall color. Maybe a PO stripped it down. The wheels show red on the inside and back side
-V notch on draw bars
-has a Jeep-style spare tire carrier mounted on front panel. Looks like the original paint might be OD

It has potential with some work but it will be a low-buck effort. I already have a M100 trailer to go with my M38A1 but I figure I can have a Bantam for maybe $150 all in and get a trailer with a tailgate for use around the property. At least with me, it won't sit out in the weather. I'll get pics up someday once it's put back together.

Any idea of the serial # range? The best I could figure was the stamped dates on the wheels, maybe indicating winter of '46.
 Post Reply Post Reply