Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Batteries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Batteries
    Posted: 24 Sep. 2016 at 2:58pm
The search feature seems to only pull up old topics. What battery is everyone using. I have bought two from oreilleys and have not been impressed . Are the ones from tractor supply good?
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2016 at 4:12pm
   I bought a 6 volt battery from Tractor Supply and it only lasted a year and at poor performance during that time.   I bought a Optima 6 volt battery and installed it and another starter and it turns over better now than I ever expected. I got the Optima 6 volt at a lower cost than the box stores are selling their brand for by getting it through Amazon.com using their 50.00 gift card as a new customer.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2016 at 5:57pm
I use an 8 volt. It really gives everything a little more pop. Some say it is cheating to make up for other starting weaknesses but I say nay nay!
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2016 at 6:02pm
Forgive this somewhat silly question but I'm curious as to what you were expecting with your search feature comment.

Maybe we can help with your expectations....you should always click on Advanced Search by the way.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Alpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2016 at 6:18pm
It just seemed that my search on batteries only brought up topics that were 4 or more years old. Just seeing if the general opinion has changed any or if there is anything to avoid for sure..
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2016 at 6:32pm
One suggestion.... When you click on Advanced Search make sure in the search options window that opens up, that All Forums is highlighted.  It doesn't seem to do it on its own and if a particular section is highlighted that's the only place it will search NOT the whole forum.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
greg3888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greg3888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2016 at 1:02am
Check the mfg date of the battery sometime a 6 volt battery may sit on the shelf. but if you can find an Interstate battery I do believe they are a good battery. Just my 2 cents worth . Greg
greg3888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greg3888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2016 at 1:17am
also on performance with 6 volts it is a good idea to make sure all contact are clean even ground connections. I have tractor with 6 volt that I use for tractor rides. [I am in Iowa] One ride was real wet and I had a bad case of corrosion after, later I cleaned all the connection and the tractor still started slow I finely removed the starter and cleaned between were the starter and the engine the was it. Greg
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2016 at 1:28pm
Walmart 6 volt battery. Last one lasted 10 years.
Red Dog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2016 at 5:32pm
As you can see here, most of us have had varied experiences over the years with batteries. There are a lot of variables involved here in both the individual Jeeps (and owners) and the suppliers of batteries which complicates the whole matter. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Walmart battery but we all know that Walmart does not manufacture batteries; they contract with battery manufacturers and over the years these contracts go to different companies, usually based on price. Simply put, the battery you buy from them today may be made by a totally different manufacturer than one purchased 10 years ago. That is true of many battery suppliers.

Since most of this information is not available to us, we simply rely on our own experiences and those of others as you are doing here. By doing this, you will find a battery that you are satisfied with, but it may not be the first one you purchase.

I have used Interstate over the years with good results but decided to try the Optima technology, which did give me better cranking on my Jeep (47 CJ 2A). I did not like the non-original looks of the rounded Optima batteries and found out that I could get one disguised as an Autolite tar top battery from Antique Auto Batteries. It was more expensive but it satisfied my desire for an original look while improving the cranking power. Optima batteries are 'allegedly' supposed to last longer due to their improved technology; I just got mine this Spring so time will tell in my case. I do like the looks of it. I like the cranking power of it. I also purchased a Battery Minder to keep it at full charge when I don't drive it often.

So far, this solution has worked for me. Please place this in the "for what it's worth" category and you will find your own answer in time.

Darrell

Edited by Red Dog - 25 Sep. 2016 at 5:34pm
I work out at the gym so I can eat cookies!!!!
crowhaven2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crowhaven2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2016 at 5:22am
Originally posted by Alpine Alpine wrote:

The search feature seems to only pull up old topics. What battery is everyone using. I have bought two from oreilleys and have not been impressed . Are the ones from tractor supply good?

I am glad you asked this question. I had little luck searching as well. But I didn't look for a long time. Just a quick google search shows this thread..lol.. My 47 CJ2a has been sitting for a couple of years. I had an Optima in it and it was working okay. I even had a battery minder on it. But I had some family problems and the dang thing just didn't like sitting there for that long I guess. It is dead. I didn't like the way the battery looked, or the size, but it worked well for the first year when I was using it. Very expensive though. Just curious what battery from oreilleys you used and didn't like? I got my Optima red top from them. I priced one from Interstate yesterday locally, and I wasn't impressed with the 6 month warranty.

I use Interstate megatron batteries on my other vehicles and they are excellent IMO. But they also have good warranties. I am not sure why they aren't so proud of their $127 6volt?
I have just started looking for thoughts on batteries tonight. I found someone mentioning the Optima here, that's why I bought it.  Good luck with your search. I am watching.
Alpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2016 at 2:38pm
The Oreilly batteries did not seem to last long. Now part of that may have been all of the issues I had getting mine started again. I had a lot of issues, with grounding, timing, etc and probably messed one of them up draining and recharging numerous times. I will admit I have not checked the date on the second one but the the first one had been on the shelf for a long time and I eventually got them to replace it. There is not a huge 6 volt demand where I live and I imagine they sit for quite a while. I imagine I will try Walmart (probably don't have 6 volt by me) or tractor supply next. The optima is $112 on Amazon right now and it is an hour drive for me to get a 6 volt Interstate battery.  It kind of seems that a "good" battery is kind of hit and miss and also probably greatly depends on the status of your jeeps electrical system which I think mine is working pretty good right now. 
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2016 at 2:44pm
I use Napa professional series 6 volt batteries in my MB and CJ5.

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2016 at 3:00pm
I have a 12 volt system in my Jeep and my battery is a 20 year old Optima.....yes 20 years old and still going strong! I keep a battery tender junior on it....I cannot believe it has lasted so long! Needless to say, I am a big fan of Optima. SmileClap
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
63owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2016 at 6:30pm
I've had mixed results with batteries from big box stores and auto supply houses. I may go a couple of weeks between driving my jeeps, so what has seemed to work are battery tenders. I have one on each.
In my daily drivers, I started buying Interstate seven or eight years ago and have not looked back.
1948 CJ2A
1963 CJ3B
Late 1940s(?) Spen trailer
konstan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2016 at 4:00am
Another vote for Optima. I have them in 6V and 12V antique equipment and they are super. If you want original look, black dummy covers are available...
FWS5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FWS5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2016 at 6:20pm
Pretty much well answered but for what its worth - I agree with Optima. They cost more but they are strong crankers and last a lonnnnng time especially when in intermittent use. My current one is going on 9 years and cranking, and testing, fine. Keep the trickle charger on it. The disguised one sounds great for a vintage jeep.
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2016 at 6:49pm
This may be off base but maybe not. I live in a 24V world with a stock M38. 2-12V 51R series walmart batts in series for 24V. 6yrs and still strong. Don't overlook your requlator, overcharging causes as much damage/grief as undercharging. I don't know the 6V reggie but the 24V mil reggie has 3 adj towers for fine tuning. Yes the batt minder is employed in winter (like today). 
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>