Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Battery charger advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery charger advice
    Posted: 03 Mar. 2015 at 2:08pm
I was given a new Diehard battery charger as a birthday gift several years ago with settings for 2, 10, and 50 (jumpstart) amp settings.
I've used it a couple of times successfully but now it doesn't appear to charge. It hums, but I can't determine any voltage coming from the clamps. If I put it on a weak battery for several hours, it doesn't make any difference when I re-attempt to start it the vehicle. I've never had any luck jumpstarting with it at the 50 amp setting.
I put a voltmeter on the clamps and get nothing. I've done the old school trick of touching the two clamps together, but I get no spark.
I called Diehard customer service and was told that it will not register voltage at the clamps unless it's connected to a battery. Is this some kind of safety feature that isn't mentioned in the owner's manual? And if I did check it with a voltmeter while connected to a battery, would it not possibly give me a reading from the battery output?
I was given two options by customer service. I can ship it at my expense to a company in Texas for repair, or I can return it to a Sears store for exchange since I do have the receipt. However, the local Sears store closed in November and it will be about a 80-mile round trip to the nearest open Sears store.
Is there a foolproof way to check the output on a battery charger?
Thanks for any help.
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2015 at 2:35pm
Is it a digital?   if no voltage on a dead battery, it will not charge.  it appears there is a safety in it to prevent the sparking.
I have to get out the old school one to put a little charge in it before my digital one will work..............................

Edited by willys54wagon - 03 Mar. 2015 at 2:39pm
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2015 at 4:29pm
  Like willys54wagon said the new type chargers wont charge a dead battery but if you a have some charge in the battery the charger should put out more voltage than the  battery reading. Test the battery without the charger to make sure you have voltage and with the charger connected to see if there is a voltage difference. 
    I bought one of these new type for 6 volt and don't like it because they wont work for a power source to test light bulbs and etc.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2015 at 5:12pm
Hook it up to a known good battery and see if you have voltage output on the gauge. Should confirm that the charger is working.
Glen
49 CJ3A
tomahawk715 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2015 at 5:30pm
x2 on the checking the charger with a known good battery.

You can "fool" the newer chargers into charging a battery thats down below 8 volts.
I had the same issue with the spiral cell optima batteries (ones that look like a 6 pack)--My trolling battery in my boat. If you discharged it with use the new charger refuses to charge it because it doesnt "see" the battery.

The way to fool it is to connect the discharged battery to another battery with jumper cables--pos to pos and neg to neg. Then connect your charger to the discharged battery. The charger will "see" the second battery and start charging.

That or you can buy the ridiculously overpriced charger meant for Optima batteries.

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong???
harvey45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harvey45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2015 at 6:19pm
Buy a battery tender 6volt and always have a full charged battery 

63owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2015 at 6:20pm
Thanks for all of the help. I'll run some more tests and see what I have before sending it back or returning it.
I drug out my old charger when the diehard failed to charge. It charged up the battery fine. It's about a 1960s vintage that I bought at an estate sale years ago for $4. 
I asked for the Diehard for my birthday because I thought it was time for an upgrade. I guess in a lot of cases, old school is the better school.
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2015 at 7:55pm
Tomahawk715 is right they can be fooled
Ed
cj2a lefty
 Post Reply Post Reply