Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bedliner Advise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bedliner Advise
    Posted: 04 Mar. 2015 at 3:20am
After looking at Red Dog's thread with paintable bedliner, I decided I needed something like that too. Since I usually have mud on the bottom of my shoes when driving the Willys, I can just see my new paint getting shredded to pieces. My local CarQuest didn't have Defender Pro like he used, but had Rock-It Liner. It's a type where you mix the bedliner, a catalyst, then add a paint of your choice. That sounded great! I followed the directions accurately, and did a test spray on my gas tank. It came out a wrong shade of OD... more like cream OD. So I called a friend who owns a body shop and he told me to add more paint to see what happens. I did that, about 4x as much and didn't get any more color! Now I'm stuck with this creamy gas tank and not sure what to do on my tub. Originally I planned on bedlining the entire inner tub, but now I think I'll just do the floors. 

Here's my question: should I try to spray my OD over the bedliner after it's completely cured and do some scratch resistant tests? How would I go about this? I need a bedliner on my floor. I like the idea of having this because although it's not the right color OD, if I can paint over it and if gets scratched, it's just a different shade of OD rather than something that sticks out like black. I'm so disappointed right now.

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2015 at 9:05pm
Hi Nick,
I'm sorry you're having trouble.  I don't know anything about bed liner materials.  Is it possible that it doesn't work well with lusterless enamel paint?   Is the gas can just the 33070 color with no bed liner mix?  It's hard to see the color contrast in your photo. 

I'll be honest, I'm generally apposed to bed liner material on Willys Jeeps.  I'm not building my stuff to sell it, but from a resale perspective, bed liner is a big negative for me.  The first thing that pops into my head is, "What is this guy trying to hide?"  I know your intention isn't to hide bad work.  You want to protect the Willys from the grit and grime that often accompanies your trail rides.  I get that, but you may scare off a future buyer who doesn't know this, or wouldn't believe you if you told him this.

There are a number of bed liner threads here and on other Willys sites.  I encourage you to read other thoughts, opinions, successes and failures before you move forward.  Your mind may be already made up, and ultimately it's your Willys, so do what you want.  I just thought I'd give you something else to ponder.

Tim
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2015 at 9:54pm
Wouldn't it be easier to cut some vinyl floor mats to protect the area under your feet then putting bedliner on the tub.

I drive dump truck and we have muddy boots as well as boots with Asphalt tack on them and we use an old mud flap cut to fit as a floor mat.  
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2015 at 10:48pm
If you use the bedliner than spray paint you will have to scuff and clean the bedliner first.   
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2015 at 3:37pm
My Jeep see's a lot of use.
I used untinted SEM bedliner on the complete inside of my jeep as seen here....
I also sprayed it inside the wheel houses for chip protection and noise buffering.

After body work was finnished I painted the complete tub with POR 15.
SEM bedliner was sprayed directly onto the uncured POR 15.
SEM bedliner bonds extremely well if the primer is less than 1 day old.

Edited by oldtime - 05 Mar. 2015 at 3:42pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2015 at 5:24pm
Nick,

Many years ago my Dad made floor mats for my Willys. They are made from the old tire mats that people used to use on their front porches. I don't know if those type of mats are even made anymore but the ones he made have lasted for at least 35 years now. I have them in the back of the Jeep too. Just a thought....:)
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2015 at 3:28am
Thanks for all the advise everyone! I have some great news though. Today I went back to the shop and the bedliner actually darkened as it cured. It's not exactly the #33070, but it was close enough to do my floor. I'm going to clean/scuff it and coat it with my normal paint as I do the rest of the body just to have a perfect match, and if it scratches then it won't be very noticeable. I did debate having floor mats but don't like the looks of them very much.

(Lighting is odd)
Here you can see how well the paint cured. It isn't perfect if you see it in person, but it's pretty close. Now I'm really satisfied with this product.

I decided to just paint the absolute floor today and my homemade toolbox. The floor was custom built by the previous owner so it's not an original valuable tub to start with. I'm not concerned at all with resale value, whoever gets it when I die has to deal with it Wink I don't want to be one of the old guys searching for the one that got away. My heart and soul is in every nut and bolt. My family keeps their sentimental vehicles (maybe that's why we need another building?)

Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2015 at 5:23pm
That looks awesome! Nice job!
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
 Post Reply Post Reply