Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bikini Tops *****PHOTOS*****

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
Author

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 1:46am
If you need another for a second run I can use one, That Texas sun is HOT!
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 1:52am

Ok I'll do a second run. If the second group wants to start looking for fabric now that'll be good. I should start production on the first run by Monday!

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 1:55am
 I went to sailrite.com and found "sunbrella plus" in Toast..

Would this be OK or would plain "sunbrella" sew better for ya..

Edited by F Bill - 02 July 2008 at 3:41am
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 2:17am

OK here are todays photos !!!

Only the two boys are mine the rest are the neighbors!

This is my prototype 'string' bikini!!! Now I just wanted to get the shape down and where and how big the pleats were. The only fabric I had was a very thin OD that was only 45" wide so I put a seam down the middle which won't be in the finished bikini tops. Also this fabric is very very thin like a bed sheet so every time I pulled it it just stretched then wrinkled. I wish it was thinker I could have made seats from it but it's only good for light weight projects. The rear strings will be 1" black nylon straps with plastic buckles on the finished tops. I don't have the common sense grommets so the prototype just has holes. With a heavier canvas there won't be all the wrinkles and it wont stretch like the prototype.

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 2:38am
Matt,
That looks perfect!
I don't know anything about canvas.  I want it to look somewhat millitary.  Is the 18lb OD that Beachwood has any good?  Do any of you guys have a suggestion where to get OD?

I'll bet them kids are alot of fun!

Edited by jpet - 26 June 2008 at 2:39am
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 2:40am
Looks great, of course the Black Jeep has something to do with my opinion.Thumbs%20Up
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 2:53am
Matt,

Is this feasable or would it not hold or look correct?

Because of my Half cab only option...

Edited by 48cj2a - 26 June 2008 at 2:53am
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 3:46am
It needs piping around the edges, can you do that?

Russ

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 4:19am
The kids are a blast, I love black Jeeps too, I've been photo shopped !!!, Yes I can do piping but the price would go up a couple bucks.

What would the group think about a piping trim?? it would be the same color as the top, it's just basically tubing about the size of a drinking straw wrapped and sewn into the edges. My opinion it that it'd look nice and finish the edges. I'd have to buy a huge roll of it and it would bring the price up maybe another $5 per top.

Also I need say five of you to measure your common sense fastener studs !! I'd like the distance how far apart each one is (on center) (or the holes), Mine are not all even !!

Art, I could possibly make a custom top but have my hands full at the moment, and that goes for you to Russ! We'll see how fast these bikini tops happen.

Remember guy you need to get the fabric to me quickly or I'll be taken them with me to Ireland Wink
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 4:38am
Here are some answers to a few questions I've been getting.

1) Yes please feel free to ship the fabric directly to me from your supplier but make sure I know who's it is, I've a lot of canvas coming my way. PM me for my address.
2) Payment, I'll collect payment when the tops are ready to ship. The canvas can be a down payment. I'll let you know when to pay and will take PayPal but will charge $5 to cover my costs (Jpet's idea Wink)
3) I won't sell or take payment for the common sense studs till I know they're correct!
4) Thread. 3 colors to pick from: White, Black and Green. Sorry no toast or chartreuse!
5) I have some nickle common sense grommets if anyone would like them instead.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 4:41am
Russ, I need a bigger mailbox Confused
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 5:33am
Matt,
    The fabric is on the way to you, addressed to you/me so you can tell them apart. I think the piping would be great, Black thread for me. (three guesses at the color of the fabric, first two don't countBig%20smile)
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 10:33am
Matt, I know you said you might be able to get up with Skip this weekend and you'll for sure check out his top then but just wanted to say Beachwood trimmed that one with more of a flat edging type material......looks a little more 'toplike' than piping would IMO, but to each his own I guess.

Just thought it would be worth a mention before you got all involved with piping. It makes the edge more substantial and trims it nicely...............just a thought.
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 12:06pm
Roc, I know exactly what your talking about, it a nice flat trim they use in a darker or lighter color. It's done with a special machine, I guess that's on of the 'pros' of having the big boys make one.

I must admit this top looks thin and flimsy, but it's because of the thin fabric and the little strings and not the 1" straps, remember guys this is only a prototype. I'll make another before I start production and post more photos.

Edited by trader_reed - 26 June 2008 at 12:10pm
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 12:12pm
My thought is that a double, folded over edge treatment would look just fine and protect the edges.  Is that the sort of edge finishing detail you had intended?  If not, how are the edges going to be finished?  
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 12:19pm
TR

Here's what I measured off Lefty. First overall length 50 3/16.

Starting from the drivers side to centers:

1", 6 3/16, 11 1/4, 17 1/16, 22 7/16, 27 15/16, 33 3/8, 38 3/4, 44 3/16, 49 3/8
I thought they would be equal and at first glance thought they were . But they're not.
For one the drivers side is at 1" from the edge the pass side 3/4.

I like the idea of some edging. Either piping or the flat reenforcement as Roc mentioned. Might lean more towards Roc's suggestion as I think it would be more durable.

It's growing...........

WFB

I'd like the black thread on mine. Here's the only photo of the fasteners I have hosted I could get a better one if you want.

Edited by westforkboyd - 26 June 2008 at 12:27pm
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 12:21pm

Yes Sam, that's how I was going to do it. believe it or not this prototype is folded and stitched! the fabric is like a bed sheet it's so thin, I guess it's not the best to so an example with. I'll whip up another today Wacko

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 12:25pm
WFB, thank you for the measurements! I need to check them against mine. Please a few more would be great! just the way Allen did it! To edge them the way Roc mentioned I'll have to buy a machine or ask to borrow Beechwood's, I don't think either will happen.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>