Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

brake drum seal surface

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: brake drum seal surface
    Posted: 16 Aug. 2014 at 4:13pm

How good does the seal surface of the brake drums need to be? Mine seemed to have polished up pretty good with some emory cloth but its not slick smooth.  Also on one I can feel a slight bump where the key slot is cut.  Ill try to get some pictures this afternoon.

Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2014 at 2:01am
The bump at the key groove will have to be smoothed off the be a good seal. The rest of the seal area only needs to be groove and pit free. If the seal area is to rough you can use a speedie sleeve to fix it. It's not a big problem.
Life is only as good as you make it.
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2014 at 3:31am
Ill have the machine shop look at the bump when I have them turn the inside brake surface.

here is the other one.

Another question.  One of my front drums is loose in the slot that hold it to the hub.  It can move back and forth a little bit.  Is this one out of commision or is there a way to tighten it up?
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2014 at 12:53am
Here is the loose drum I am talking about.  Its loose where the tabs go into the slots all the way around. 
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2014 at 5:17pm
A groove in the seal area can cause it to leak. It may need speedie sleeves. I would not use the loose drum in the photo. 
Life is only as good as you make it.
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2014 at 7:52pm
Does anyone have the number for the speedi sleeve I need for these hubs?  My local Napa couldnt find one.
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2014 at 10:06pm
Ok I finally got my drums back where I could measure them. I measured right at 2.00 with my calipers.  It looks like sleeve number 99199 should do the trick.  Its for shaft size  1.997-2.003  and is .563 wide. I will post again on this thread in a few days when i get them to let others know if that is the right one.  I found them on ebay for $15.00 each!
 Post Reply Post Reply