Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Broken Brake Bleeder valve

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valnelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broken Brake Bleeder valve
    Posted: 27 July 2016 at 4:44pm
In my excitement to bleed the brakes one last time, I overtightened the brake bleeder valve and it snapped off.  How do I replace that?

Thanks
Val Nelson
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2016 at 6:19pm
Is it tight now? If so, you may want to run it as is & fix it the next time you are working on those brakes. To repair this, you almost always have to remove the cylinder from the backing plate to get enough room to remove the broken bleeder valve.

How far into the cylinder is the brake? They usually break off flush with the edge of the cylinder. As you have probably guessed, some kind of easy-out will most likely be involved. Unless the break left enough of the bleeder valve sticking out that you could get a pair of Vice-Grips on it, it is easy-out time.

If you can not remove it with an easy-out, then it is off to the machine shop for you. Before you go though, check to find out if it is just cheaper to buy a new cylinder.
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2016 at 2:33pm
Try a left hand drill bit.
BOULDER 48 2A
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2016 at 3:06pm

There is a tapered seat at the bottom so be careful when trying to drill it out so that you don't ruin the seat surface. I rarely endorse the use of an easy out because they often break off in the hole and make for a really expensive extraction at the machine shop. In this case however, the cylinder doesn't have a lot of value making machine shop extraction not really a cost effective option. So try an easy out and if it breaks off, just buy a new cylinder. Another option is to weld a nut to the end, but the residual brake fluid will most likely be a problem.

Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2016 at 5:15pm
One other thing you can try...

Take a very small flat head screw driver.  File it down to a wedge shape, so it just fits in the broken bleeder hole, then unscrew the broken bleeder.  

Idea stolen from the lawn sprinkler industry.  They have a tool to extract broken riser pipes.

Hawk
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
HCAT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2016 at 1:11am
Buy a new cylinder.
Dave
44 Willys MB
WorkInProgress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2016 at 2:32am
I like the square shaped easy outs they almost never break for me and they work well. that's what I would use or just buy another wheel cylinder
and like the other guy said left hand drill bits have removed broken bolts for me before I even had to use the easy outs

fyi I don't speak highly of the spiral easy outs
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
 Post Reply Post Reply