Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building A Rack

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building A Rack
    Posted: 06 Sep. 2014 at 9:24pm
Guess I should have done my research first. Not quite to spec and didn't realize a lot
of details in advance but then pretty stubborn and set on doing things my way which generally
seems to be the hard way… ? This is where I am so far.

Been using old barn wood I've saved over the years, all red oak.

I want to run some horizontal boards across the front of the rack and brace it to mount a spare tire
    rack on the front. Had also though about tacking a couple stake pockets to the inside front bulkhead
    but did rethink that cause I don't want to take up the headroom. Figuree an air mattress might fit.

Right now I just ran a couple slats across the top of two of the uprights
for bracing, but want to get the bows and hardware - and wondering about
needed slats from front to back attached to the top bows to help support
a canvas but not sure if they are needed. Just saw pics of a rack & canvas
on another thread that are for sale and it's giving me a lot of ideas, like the
rack should look sorta like an old lobster trap.
How bout some feedback, a little help.                                                 Ermm

Edited by BENSH - 06 Sep. 2014 at 11:25pm
    1945 CJ2a 11495
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2014 at 9:48pm
Russ, You could use like 2' angle iron pieces to attach the front cross pieces to the ends of the sides boards and use carrage bolts and counter sink the nuts into the wood.  Just something to think about.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2014 at 6:25pm
Have been thinking about that Jim, and believe I will do something very similar. That will tie the side and front together but still need a storming brace  from body to give the front slats strength to support a spare tie rack. Thinking about two 2x4's uprights  bolted to the outside front of the body and cut a roll & taper the thickness to run along the outside of the front horizontal slats and screw them together. That will give me a set of 2x4 railroad tracks to bolt a tire rack to, tie the side together and strengthen all. 

I haven't seen a spare tire rack though, don't know how they mount and if there is a flat surface on the backside to bolt to the 2x4 supports.
    1945 CJ2a 11495
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2014 at 7:57pm
  Do you need a spare tire for the trailer since the Jeep spare will fit the trailer?  i also seen some where a top support for a trailer canvas that ran from front to back down the middle that had a arch to it that looked nice.
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2014 at 11:30pm
I only behave one spare and if I'm out much I like to take the trailer along. I have a tendency to take a lot of stuff. If you happen to see that photo again Jim, send me a link or copy if you can. This is the pics I saw on the page. Neat design.
I forget who was selling the steam bent oak bows her on the page, but I'm ready for a set and hope they look like this then I can jus run a thin set of slats from front to back like in the photo. Guess I should be check with Art Conti.

Edited by BENSH - 07 Sep. 2014 at 11:39pm
    1945 CJ2a 11495
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2014 at 10:35am
BENSH:

For more info on these bows, please go to this link...http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/bantam-t3c-steam-bent-bows_topic25631_page2.html.  I'm pretty sure you'll find it very interesting.  The guy who made the one's I purchased was Norm.  I don't know if he still making those bows or not but you can check and see.  Don't hurt to ask, you know.

Good luck,

Joel
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

E-mail: canorisa@msn.com

1940's Bantam T3-C
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2014 at 1:49am
Just about to finish with the wood work myself......

45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2014 at 2:16am
lowenuf:

What type of wood are you using for your trailer.  That's looking pretty good my friend.  Do you have a tarp to go along with it?

Joel
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

E-mail: canorisa@msn.com

1940's Bantam T3-C
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2014 at 3:01am
Originally posted by lowenuf lowenuf wrote:

Just about to finish with the wood work myself...…

So your going to add a couple slats down the sides and leave  the top open?
Looks like everything you have so far is white oak, like was apparently original?
Looks like you bought the short steam bent bows from our friend. As you can see
in my photos I already built all the side racks and should have bought the short
bows but screwed up and have a long set. We really should trade because of the
styles we are using in our designs, otherwise I’ll probably end up cutting mine off.

1945 CJ2a 11495
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2014 at 3:49am
The long ones frank made are not correct if trying to imitate originals regarding the width for the side uprights. Franks bows are designed to be cut to proper width/length the have the steel bracketry installed......

And yes, the wood is white oak, looking for a little more, or light red oak.......

As for the canvas, i am kicking the idea of making my own .....
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188

BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2014 at 10:11am
That’s good to know. Now I won’t feel quite so guilty cutting to desired height.  
    1945 CJ2a 11495
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2014 at 1:24pm
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188

Post Reply Post Reply