Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bumperettes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WVCAHILLBILLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bumperettes
    Posted: 17 Feb. 2012 at 3:42am
I was looking at the bumperette that Walk's sell and was wondering if anybody knows if they will fit a CJ2A 29XXX SN that used MB frame & already has the holes on the back crossmember. I tried asking them but they refuse to believe that this serial number could of used a MB frame. Thanks for advice.

Joe
46 CJ2A 29385 Gumby
"We shall pass this way on Earth but once,if there is any kindness we can show, or good act we can do, let us do it now, for we will never pass this way again."Stephen Grelle
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2012 at 3:48am
MB frame-----------MB bumperettes should fit. Can't see any reason why they wouldn't. Have I ever been wrong?.......well yeah....lots of times but this seems like a good bet.Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Jim_n_Texas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_n_Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2012 at 2:22pm
29116 has an MB frame but the rear crossmember had been cut off by "Bubba" to weld a rear bumper to the frame when I got it.
1946 CJ2A
1961 M422 Mighty Mite w/M416B1 trailer
1979 CJ5
1969 Jeepster Commando
Rusty1340 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty1340 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2012 at 3:19pm
On my cj2a few holes had to be drilled

WAC/B&G
BRO-LHO
MVPA #32564
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2012 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by WVCAHILLBILLY WVCAHILLBILLY wrote:

I was looking at the bumperette that Walk's sell and was wondering if anybody knows if they will fit a CJ2A 29XXX SN that used MB frame & already has the holes on the back crossmember. ......

Yes they are identical but you will have to remove your drawbar.  The sets of holes that the bumperettes use are the ones to the far left of your pic (drawbar attachment), and the ones to the far right.  They are 5-1/2" apart.  The center set of holes are rivet holes.  On the MBs/GPWs there is an angle bracket that is riveted to the crossmember and to the frame.

Edited by jpet - 17 Feb. 2012 at 3:55pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2012 at 3:58pm

Savy?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2012 at 4:13pm
Perhaps if you did not want to remove the drawbar, you could sandwich the bumperette between the drawbar mount and the crossmember so that the bumperette would wrap around the drawbar mount.  Then you would probably need to put a shim behind the other drawbar mounts.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2012 at 4:52pm
As best as I can remember the bumperettes bolted right up to the bumper/cross member of the 48 we turned into a MB clone now known as the Airport Jeep.

But, it looks like I was wrong.

Looks like we used the two existing holes and drilled two more holes for each side.

Edited by ralf - 17 Feb. 2012 at 4:57pm
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2012 at 5:21pm
Yup.  I was not aware that the 2A had those rivets there.  Mine, 29XXX, does not.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2012 at 8:52pm
Rusty, what unit is that designated on your left bumperette?    BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2012 at 9:13pm
What is wrong with the picture Ralph?  Looks all squished in :)
WVCAHILLBILLY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WVCAHILLBILLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2012 at 12:34am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Perhaps if you did not want to remove the drawbar, you could sandwich the bumperette between the drawbar mount and the crossmember so that the bumperette would wrap around the drawbar mount.  Then you would probably need to put a shim behind the other drawbar mounts.

Yeah I do want to keep drawbar as I do use the hitch. Thanks for all the input guys. Believe I will give this more thought until I get my top complete, brakes redone, steering, paint and etc etc..........
Joe
46 CJ2A 29385 Gumby
"We shall pass this way on Earth but once,if there is any kindness we can show, or good act we can do, let us do it now, for we will never pass this way again."Stephen Grelle
Rusty1340 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty1340 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2012 at 12:59am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Rusty, what unit is that designated on your left bumperette?    BW

1st Division 26th Infantry Regiment
WAC/B&G
BRO-LHO
MVPA #32564
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2012 at 1:37am
  Ah, the "Big Red One".  I should have known. I still do pretty well reading brands, but need more practice on bumperettes!Embarrassed    BW

Joe, if you want to have bumperettes and a hitch, why not build a hitch that will bolt to the crossmember where the pintle hitch went on the MB/GPW?  BW

Edited by Bruce W - 18 Feb. 2012 at 1:43am

R Qualls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R Qualls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2012 at 5:08am
I read somewhere that bumperettes were an option on a 2-a , anyone else know about this ?
1946 cj-2A x2, 1951 M38
1954 cj-3B converted to a MB
1955 m38a1 * NRA LIFE MEMBER *
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2012 at 9:33pm
  In Fred Coldwell's book, Preproduction Civilian Jeeps, bumperettes are listed as an option on the preproduction, CJ2's, but were not listed for the CJ2A because of the conflict with the Ag Hitch.   BW

ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2012 at 10:45pm
Jo, as you can see, we made the pintle hitch work.  Without looking, I don't know what those rivets are for low.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
micjen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2014 at 9:48am
I have bumped this post back to life. I plan on putting some MB bumperettes on mine to provide at least some protection to the rear passengers. Presumably easy enough to fit.
CJ2A rebuilder. Let the Willys Jeep live again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>