Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carter Carburetor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gopher4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carter Carburetor
    Posted: 02 Jan. 2011 at 2:39pm

Has anyone got a carburetor just like this one?
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2011 at 5:32pm
That float bowl was used on the W0 models 431 & 853 "Universal" carburetors.

Since they could be put many engines, of different displacements, it has that Hi-Speed circuit adjustment needle.

Not standard for a CJ-2A carb, but it might be nice having that adjustability! Thumbs Up
Gopher4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gopher4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2011 at 11:44am

I have this carb on my CJ2A  now. I installed it for a trip to Colo
a  few years ago.  When it ran too rich at higher altitudes it was
easy to open the hood and lean it up alittle.
But I need another one for my CJ3A. Any one out there have
one or even just the fuel bowl.  in all the years I have been in
the Jeep repair business I have never seen another one.
Willing to buy one from you or trade for a remanufactured
636SA
Louie larson
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2011 at 12:45pm
Louie:
Quote .. When it ran too rich at higher altitudes it was easy to open the hood and lean it up a little.
So it surely is useful!  Nice 

Quote ... in all the years I have been in the Jeep repair business I have never seen another one.
Considering it wasn't a standard jeep part, not surprising.

I'm curious now.  Since it's mounted on a standard 636 throttle body (or at least has the correct linkages), I wonder how it got that way.  I would guess:
  • somebody intentionally did the upgrade just to have the adjustability, or ...
  • it was a random occurrence during a rebuild, since the float bowls are interchangeable
They used a different metering rod & jet though.  Can you see the metering rod part number?

Here's Carters spec sheet for he 431/835 (2.5 MB PDF, zipped):

http://www.cj-2a.com/documentation/manuals/carter/Carter_WO-431_835.zip

They're not very common, but I see them on ebay about once a year or so.

Sean

PS, is the bottom of the flange number stamped?

Edited by sean - 04 Jan. 2011 at 12:46pm
Gopher4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gopher4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2011 at 10:12pm
I pulled the air horn off this carb today. The metering rod was correct (75-390)
The metering rod jet was  incorrect (120-151s}, however this jet and the correct
one (120-73s) are very close in size.  .070 verses .075. This makes it a little lean
so the  high speed needle needs to be opened a little more than normal.
The idle jets and accelerator jets are the same as the 636sa.
This carb came to me some years ago with some cores I had purchased.
This was the way i  received it so I just overhauled it and ran it on my CJ2A
for a number of years. I really worked well in Colo  in the high altitude trails.
I took it off and brought it with me when I did MVPA 2009 cross country  convoy
in my 41 MB. I started out pulling two trailers in tandem. The route 30 hiway in
Penn is sorta hilly so when i got to Chambersburg Pa. , I took off the std 539S
carb and put this one on.  After a little trial & error ajusting of the high speed
jet It ran really good. I averaged 17.4 MPG @ our convoy speed (35mph).
I also palmed off    the 2nd trailer in maryland.  This trip was 3638 miles.

ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2011 at 11:17pm
Louie, on my way to a CJ2A meet, I think it was the Great Willys Picnic,  I was on the Interstate just South of Gettysburg when I ran up on an MB following a Duce and a half.  I was going 70+ MPH and obviously they were not.  So, I slowed down and followed them off the Interstate into Gettysburg.  They were part of what I think was your convoy.  In town there were a couple Jeeps Pulled over at a gas station as one had broken down.  I chatted with those guys for a few minutes and then got back on my way.  Where can I read up on this adventure and future such conveys?
1946 CJ2A Column Shift #14575

1947 CJ2A

1948 CJ2A

1982 J10 Pickup

1989YJ Wrangler

1999 WJ Grand Cherokee

1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2011 at 12:24am
louie Larson.Your name sounds familar.Did not you own WILLYS MINNIAPOLIS back 20 years ago with RAY CROWDERY and a third partner?
willys jeep
Gopher4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gopher4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2011 at 11:57am
I am sure that was us. The GPW  had a bad generator so we were waiting for a new batt from
a sears store close by. We had a new generator at the motel that night. What a trip, the most
fun I have ever had in a Jeep.  23 days of solving problems and having a great experence.
I had 4 problems, a broken left rear axel, coil to dist secondary wire, radiator cap, and a flat tire.
The next convoy is the Alcan hiway in 2012.
Type in MVPA  convoy 09 on your computor.
Gopher4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gopher4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2011 at 12:00pm
Yes, I am that Louie Larson,  still working on and driving those great vehicles the WILLYS Jeeps
Fred Coldwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2011 at 12:05am
Originally posted by ralf ralf wrote:

. .   Where can I read up on  . . future such conveys?

Hi ralf:

One place the MVPA's 2012 Convoy to Alaska is being discussed in on the G503 web site:

http://web.g503.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=128

Enjoy!
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50
1944 MZ-2 MB-391532
1946 CJ2A-12797

AlaskaCJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaCJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2011 at 2:50pm
Louie,
I've got one - PM sent.
48 CJ2A 212561
President, Alaska chapter of the IFFC

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic