Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Checking tranny fluid level.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Checking tranny fluid level.
    Posted: 29 Mar. 2017 at 4:24pm
Hello all, this is my first question on this forum.

I have a 48 cj2a which was restored about eight years ago I've done basic maintenance since I got it by doing oil filter changes as well as coolant changes every other year

But recently I've run into a problem when in reverse it feels like it binds and then stalls . Pulling into my garage last week it stalled about four times I'm not really sure what's going on but obviously the first thing to check would be my transmission fluid.

Now I have a couple of manuals on it but I am kind of confused on how to check the level of the transmission fluid level from my understanding I can check the transmission fluid level by checking the transfer case fill bolt? If I'm just going to gauge the level of transmission fluid for the transmission

I'm going to make the assumption that I've only put about 1500 miles since the restoration that the fluid wouldn't need to be changed although it's eight years old but the jeep is garaged so climate factors aren't really a concern.

Now for my second question what fluid what I use since if I'm low imgoing to need to fill it up is there anyway to purchase it online I've heard Debates in hypoid and no hypoid oil.

Thanks a lot,
Frank G

2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2017 at 5:09pm
Check the level at the fill bolt, if I understand it correctly it's just like checking a differential, stick your finger in and make sure the fluid level is at the fill point. I can't help you on what fluid to use since my transmission is sitting in a basket waiting for the frame to be cleaned and repaired.
Frank G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2017 at 5:22pm
And that would be the transfer case fill bolt?      Or transmission?

From what I'm reading the transfer case sits higher so that the one to check for transmission fluid.

Thanks
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2017 at 5:25pm
My understanding is the tranny is what you check as the xfer case fluid sits lower but bear in mind I'm a CJ2A newbie as well and not nearly as knowledgeable as some of the gurus we have on the page.
46willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 46willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2017 at 6:22pm
Check both fill bolts (one on tranny, one on tcase), stick your finger in, level should be up to or just below the lip of the hole.
46 CJ2A Column Shift #31278 (sold)
46 CJ2A #48293
61 Pickup (sold)
94 Cherokee Sport(R.I.P.)
98 Cherokee Classic (Sold)
CJ2a/3a/M38 Jeep salad
50 Jeepster
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2017 at 7:59pm
You should use GL-1 mineral based oil 80-90wt. No modern gear oil like GL-5. If you pull your finger out and its a golden color you have the wrong gear oil and it is breaking down the bronze/brass parts in the tranny.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Frank G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2017 at 8:33pm
Thanks for all the replies, my local shop only seems to carry gl-5. Any online sources ?
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2017 at 8:40pm
NAPA sells GL-1.  I personally don't care for it.  I ran it for several years and wasn't happy.  If your trans/transfer case assembly is reasonably leak resistant then you might try a synthetic.  I now run Royal Purple 75W-140 and like how it performs.  It doesn't get thick when it's cold, and doesn't get thin when it's hot.  Plus it claims to be kind to brass parts.  It's spendy.

I've also used Valvoline 80W-90 with no problems.  You'll find strong opinions on both sides of the "brass erosion" issue.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2017 at 9:22pm
Hell, my new neighbor is a transmission tech with 25 years experience so I can ask his thoughts on GL-1 alternatives too if you all want.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2017 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by 2t2-crash 2t2-crash wrote:

Hell, my new neighbor is a transmission tech with 25 years experience so I can ask his thoughts on GL-1 alternatives too if you all want.

Spend 2 minutes with the advanced search feature you'll get all the conflicting opinion you need, lol...one more isn't a tie breaker LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2017 at 9:57pm
90 wt oil has a different smell to it so just checking the level will leave you with some sticky on your pinkie as we used to say back in high school. Ask for the GL-1 at your local auto supply accept no substitutes. Or go with a synthetic

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2017 at 10:06pm
I got mine online, but it's EXPENSIVE.  Like $100.00 for a full refill.
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2017 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Originally posted by 2t2-crash 2t2-crash wrote:

Spend 2 minutes with the advanced search feature you'll get all the conflicting opinion you need, lol...one more isn't a tie breakerĀ LOL

Oh I know, I've read a lot of em! LMAO
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2017 at 7:21am
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FCA65201

NAPA GL-1 90 Gear Oil - 1 Gallon

Part Number:   NHF 65201

$13.19

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FCA65205

NAPA GL-1 90 Gear Oil - 5 Gallon

Part Number:   NHF 65205

$49.69

Edited by jaksjep - 30 Mar. 2017 at 7:42am
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2017 at 3:09pm
An easy way to check the transmission/transfer case lube levels is to remove the fill plugs on both and connect a clear plastic hose.  It's a Bubba mod!  It works though.  I did this mod on my MB because oil was migrating into my T84 transmission and couldn't flow back.  The T90/D18 combo is drilled to let the oil migrate freely.  I found that I liked the ability to quickly check the oil level and never changed it.  I'm not sure about the T90, but the T84 fill plug is about 1/2" higher than the D18 plug.  I keep the fluid topped to the transmission fill hole so I know the transfer case is a little over-full, which is fine with me.  The hose is visible in the lower right corner of the pic.  I add fluid through the top of the transmission (shift lever hole).

Edited by tamnalan - 30 Mar. 2017 at 3:13pm
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Frank G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2017 at 8:19pm
Thank you for all the replies I was able to have my local napa order it.

I guess I'm just going to do a drain and refill on both the tranny and x-fer case using a oil hand pump .

The fluid I'm sure is pretty viscous so I'll warm it up before the change.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2017 at 3:12am
Originally posted by Frank G Frank G wrote:

But recently I've run into a problem when in reverse it feels like it binds and then stalls .

That doesn't sound like a transmission problem to me.  I think I'd look at brakes first.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Frank G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2017 at 3:56pm
I was thinking it was either a brake problem or transmission problem but I figured I would check the transmission fluid first. I'm not really sure what I'm looking at if there's a brake problem. When I get a chance next week I purchased Gl-1 fluid from Napa I'm going to drain the transmission and transfer case and put new fluid in and see from there.

I check the parking break and that looked normal.

I would figure the jeep would give me a problem driving forward as well if it was actually a brake problem.?.?.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>