Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cj-2a Fuel Trouble?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isomeads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cj-2a Fuel Trouble?
    Posted: 28 July 2014 at 7:45pm
Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a '47 2a that I've been driving for about a year. A few weeks ago I noticed that it was starting to lose power and sputter when throttled up. All I had to do was slow down, let it run slow for a moment, and then it would be fine. I was thinking that it must be the fuel filter, because I had the same problem when I was first driving it. The crud in the tank was clogging up the fuel lines and the engine would starve out. Well, when it started coughing again recently I tied cleaning out the lines again, but they were clear. I turned over the engine with the fuel line off the fuel pump and I have plenty of fuel pressure there. Does anyone have some advice about what might be wrong? The problem has gone from bad to worse. Right now I can start the jeep, but if I give it any gas it dies. If it has sat for a while it will idle for a few minutes, then it start coughing and dies. Any suggestions? 
Isom Eades
'47 Cj2a, Once Upon a Time
Pronunciation: Wil-is, not Wil-ees.
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2014 at 8:28pm
Check fuel pressure and volume at the carb inlet pipe. Check the float and inlet valve for sticking and function. Check for vacuum in the tank from  a bad cap. Could there be a crimp or dent in a fuel line?
Is the accelerator pump circuit working?

Edited by TERRY - 28 July 2014 at 8:30pm
BOULDER 48 2A
HCAT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2014 at 2:39am
Carb rebuild.
Dave
44 Willys MB
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2014 at 4:25am
Yep, there could be trash build up in the carb.

Life is only as good as you make it.
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2014 at 9:59am
It could be flooding out or your distributor is not advancing the timing correctly. Or the condenser is breaking down or the coil is breaking down. Without a full history of work/service performed or equipment involved we can't make an accurate diagnosis. WO or Solex? Single action, dual action, or electric fuel pump? Points and condenser or electronic ignition? Generator or alternator? Help us help you.
isomeads View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isomeads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2014 at 3:34am
Well, I am not an overly 'Mechanically Literate' person, but I'll tell you what I can. We replaced the coil, condenser, and points about a year ago. The points look fine now, no excessive blackening and the gap appears to be fine. It has the original Carb, So I suppose that means it is a WO since it's a '47. (Am I correct that the Solex was on later models, or is that my imagination) It also has the original mechanical fuel pump, I don't know if it is single or dual action. (I can find all these things out, if need be). We switched over from a 12 volt generator to a 12 volt alternator last year, they had already converted from 6 to 12. I have driven it a quite a bit over the last year, it has essentially been my daily driver for the last two months. No problems to speak of with the engine,other than the fuel filter problem we had at first, which I described in my earlier post. If there is anything else that might help any of you figure this out I would be glad to oblige. 
Isom Eades

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2014 at 10:44am
Isom, I re-read your post. Is it garaged or kept outside? How often do you drive it and do you buy a name brand fuel? Do you keep your tank full? It's not outside the realm of possibility that it could be water in the fuel. It is important that we know which carb and which pump you have installed and what kind of filter you have and where it, and others, are located.
isomeads View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isomeads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2014 at 6:40pm
Well, I'll answer what I can at the moment and get back before long with answers about the carb and pump. But anyways, before it started acting up, I'd been driving it at least twice a week, often more, for about two months. (Before that it was still too cool in the mornings) It's been in the garage every night until it started warming up, but it was outside through most of June. We haven't had any rain though. I just fuel up at our local card lock, so no, not name brand fuel. And yes, the tank is usually about 3/4 full. I have a simple NAPA in line filter about half way between the tank and the fuel pump (It's at about the lowest point on the line). I heard from another source that the float in the carb might be stuck, does that happen often with these old carbs?
Isom Eades

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2014 at 7:07pm
It is possible that with bad fuel, the accelerator pump could swell and jam in the cylinder, but I don't think your symptoms present that problem. I'm going to stick with my original assessment for now. Just waiting on the rest of the information.
tomahawk715 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2014 at 9:49pm
When you say you cranked it with the line off you had pressure--do you mean you had it off at the carb and it has pressure up there??

Because I would agree with whoever told you you have a stuck or sticking needle--my 38a1 had the same issue. Tap on the carb and see if picks up--tap not bang

Mine wouldnt push any gas to the carb--but when I took off the line (at the carb) it shot out.
Mine was a fairly new rebuild too--Im guessing a bit of crap was stuck in there because after tapin on it it cleared itself
tomahawk715 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2014 at 9:55pm
Another two cents--Id find someone to rebuild your original carb before Id buy another of the "replacement solex" carbs everyone is selling. My "new" carb leaked from every gasket on it from day one--it also is the carb that had the sticking needle

I had a local guy rebuild the one on my 2a and it ran like a champ right from him. No leaks. For the price hes charging its not even worth me touching
 Post Reply Post Reply