Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Comprehensive Insurance Coverage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Comprehensive Insurance Coverage
    Posted: 24 July 2016 at 11:58pm
As my rebuild on Ol' Red gets a little closer to completion, I have been concerned what with all the parts bills and my blood, sweat, and a few tears that have gone into the project that just the minimum liability coverage that Ol' Red has had on her in the past might not be enough.

Has anyone else put collision or comprehensive coverage on their rigs?  Especially you restorers that have showpiece rigs that get driven on the street from time to time.

My insurance company said that if I could show them that Ol' Red was a $10K rig when I have finished with my restoration, that they would insure it with full coverage for that amount in the event of a wreck or other damage to her. The premium was not that much higher than I pay now. I'm considering it.

I'd be interested in other opinions on insurance coverage from some other owners of restorations.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Doug Timme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2016 at 12:33am
I carry what is called a Stated Value policy.  There are insurance companies that specialize in classic/collectible cars. Haggerty, JC Taylor, and Grundy are a few. Each have there own quirks and limitations such as you must have a garage, you can't use it as a daily driver, etc. JC Taylor would not insure a car I had once due to it having a roll cage.
47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2016 at 8:49am
I use J.C. Taylor for both my Corvette & Willys. Must be garaged & they wouldn't cover Jeep until I was finished restoring. Limited mileage won't be a problem on my Jeep( I think it's 1000 mi./yr)
jijk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jijk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2016 at 12:56pm
Check out Hagerty.  I have been using them for a few years.  Reasonable and great service.  
1946 CJ2A #55729
1948 CJ2A #172606
1952 Willys Truck
1945 Bantam #380
1946 Bantam #2629
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2016 at 1:59pm
I believe mine is Classic. Full coverage with 250/500 and zero deductible on comp and collision. Stated value and limited to 6,000 miles. $105 for Wagon and added second vehicle, CJ was $20.
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2016 at 10:15pm
I have State Farm's antique and classic on mine, even though the rest of my stuff is with all state. It's around $100 a year agreed value of $20,000. Have to have it in a garage, have to have another car to drive.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2016 at 11:30pm
I use JC Taylor for my Jeep. No mileage restriction, must be kept in a garage and I am not supposed to drive it to work. I've been pleased with their service although I have never made a claim.
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Thorholt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thorholt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2016 at 12:50am
I also used Hagerty, They did offer coverage for vehicles during restoration, I was close to finished with mine when I got to thinking the same as you, I got $15,000 coverage for $171 yr. I had to send pictures then a rep called and we discussed it and agreed, Very happy with the company.
I have American Family on everything else I insure and they were $375 yr. for the Jeep, I think it is time to search around for my other stuff also.
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2016 at 12:54am
I vote Hagerty! They insure my restored 3A/MB for an agreed value of $10k. Right now the Valentine APU Jeep is being brought to a panel of high-ups to insure it for even more than my other one. And its full of patina. They're great people to work with, I don't know who else would even consider insuring a 70 year old vehicle with original rust if they aren't into the exact hobby. Even requested all my documentation on it.
 Post Reply Post Reply