Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Other Trailers Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Congratulations. Its a Spen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Congratulations. Its a Spen
    Posted: 16 Mar. 2014 at 9:57pm

In driving down the road, I thought this was a Bantam.

It turns out, that it is a Spen.

I saw the logo under the layers of paint, so I wet sanded it down, until this showed up.
Follow my build here: http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/murph_topic29621.html

CJ2A/ M-38 wannabe
Spen Trailer SG474
Wmshay6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wmshay6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2014 at 2:31pm
That thing is AWESOME!!!  And also happens to look a lot like mine :)

More pics please- I'm restoring mine right now and another point of reference is always helpful!

Wmshay6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wmshay6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2014 at 2:40pm
Just saw your other thread.  $100 is a steal- I paid $200 for mine and in a lot worse condition.  These SPENs are pretty rare actually and there are a few threads around with some details on them..

If possible, could you post up some pictures of the pintle and the bed floor?  I'm replacing mine due to rot.  The current floor is ribbed, but many of them came with flat floors.  I'd be interested to see what yours looks like.  

Also, can you post a Hi-Res photo of that logo with dimensions?  I'd like to have one made for mine when I'm done putting it back together. 
Thunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2014 at 8:36pm
This trailer has a regular ball hitch, though, not the original. The neck has been stretched to accommodate this. Even the standing leg has been removed, and replaced with an ordinary screw jack. The bed floor on this one is smooth. I haven't checked to see if it is original or not. My guess, with the excellent condition of this unit, would be that it is the original floor.  

As for the logo, I could shoot another pic, but it wont be any better than what I've posted. I fear if I do any more sanding, that I will ruin what's left. We currently are under blizzard conditions here, but I will be more than happy to get some measurements for you, when conditions improve.

CJ2A/ M-38 wannabe
Spen Trailer SG474
ndrtkr View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndrtkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2014 at 10:01pm
Jpet has an image of the logo he reproduced on his trailer "Shadow" look him up.
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid"- John Wayne
Wmshay6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wmshay6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2014 at 3:41pm
Thanks Thunder- I appreciate the response.

NDRTKR-  I have a copy of the image you are referring to, but I believe it's different than that on Thunder's trailer.
My Build:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/oh-where-to-start_topic27685.html
Thunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2014 at 4:44pm
Where would I find the Serial Number for this little jewel, and with that, how may I determine what year it is?

CJ2A/ M-38 wannabe
Spen Trailer SG474
Thunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2014 at 7:43pm
Its been a while, but I finally got some time to spend with the trailer. I've made mounting brackets, with guards, for the tail lights. The wiring harness will be an upcoming project.

In reading the recent "Spen project" posts, I have finally found its serial number. I found SG474, on the right frame rail. Is there any way to determine the specs for this, by the number?  As this will be important when it comes time to register this little jewel.

CJ2A/ M-38 wannabe
Spen Trailer SG474
CHARLIE JEEP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHARLIE JEEP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2014 at 6:51pm
Hi Thunder,
I just sent a PM asking for some logo information.
Cheers and tks in advance.
Charlie
CJ-2A #114467 1947        Slat Grill #124991 1942        SPEN trailer 1948              
 Post Reply Post Reply