Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cracked frame

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrrrrrrrr9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cracked frame
    Posted: 15 Apr. 2014 at 12:57am
Well after a couple days of fairly hard offroading I managed to crack my Jeep's frame in the same place on both sides. (right behind the transmission crossmember) I plan to fishplate it back together. Has anyone else had their frame crack in this place? It looks like a weak spot imo with the front bodymount and transmission crossmember putting a lot of force on the same spot where there is also a large hole drilled through the frame.

Erik
1948 Cj2a "Rustina"
build pictures
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2014 at 1:18am
Are you sure your Jeep wasn't filmed in Rat Patrol? Wow. I've seen them bend just behind the front springs where the boxing ends. I've never seen one broken there. I've seen fish plates that are diamond shaped, and square plates welded top and bottom, but not on the vertical ends for flex. I would do a search on those recommendations before you weld her up.  Your Jeep is now " Taxi Tested"! LOL John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
garage gnome View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2014 at 3:31am
You were beating on it pretty good! That one hump you hit and did a wheelie off I'm sure didn't help.

Listen to what John said too. I've heard people say that before about the fish plates.

Nate
1953 3A, 1949 3A, 1947 2A, 1918 IHC Titan 10-20, 1905 IHC Famous, other hit n misses
johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2014 at 9:46pm
I have modified frames for hard use and maintain OE look. I will share my procedure with all. I take like area OE frame rails and match to area to be re enforced. I cut off the top flat by cutting the side about quarter inch from bottom of top flat. That leaves me am "L" frame side. I trim about quarter inch off the short leg of the "L" , I place "L" on the inside of the rail to be re-enforced, aligning all the bolt holes with bolts and stitch weld and then weld between stitches. Unlike fish plating this does show from the outside and is difficult to see from inside and several times stronger.

I have had good success with this procedure but others may have a different idea.

Edited by johnnybravo - 17 Apr. 2014 at 2:02am
Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2014 at 10:05pm
my trucks frame was so beat that i had to take it to a welder who used 3 frames to make one. i can snap a few shots of the fish plates this weekend but they are diamonds without any sharp corners. they round all the ends or flatten them the reason being the corner will build stress there. the guy who did the welding normally welds semi and dump truck frames so the willys frame was done correctly. 
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2014 at 12:20am
There will be an extra frame up in Stephentown available soon if it helps. It is the one on the column shift parts jeep if you remember that one. I know the rear section was pretty good , I don't remember what sort of shape the rest was in......I am taking all the CS stuff off and tossing the rest in the near future. I'll have a set of axles extra too possibly.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

rrrrrrrrr9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrrrrrrrr9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2014 at 1:27am
Back when I first got my Jeep I took the front half of a 3b frame and the rear half of a 2a frame to weld up my current frame using oval fishplates to hold it together. seeing as those welds and plates have held I will probably do the same thing with these cracks, maybe I will grind the old fishplate off and weld on one long one instead of two short ones.
Erik
1948 Cj2a "Rustina"
build pictures
BillF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2014 at 12:18pm
might be time to locate a new frame
1952 m38

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrrrrrrrr9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2014 at 2:24pm
You might be right, I just want to try and save this one before I have to spend the money on a new one.
Erik
1948 Cj2a "Rustina"
build pictures
iron mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iron mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2014 at 3:52pm
clear away the area around the damage,remove everything attached to the frame ,wire wheel it super clean, then using no more than 350degrees,heat it up and clamp it back in place using aa strong straight edge of heavy square tubing as a clampling edge.(2x3x3/16thick) then vee out the crack after it's realigned and weld it with a good quality 70xx wire or rod.full penetration weldining.make sure the back is super clean, then weld up the back with a cover pass.as long as the metal is all there you should be ok.you can grind it down and use a blending wheel to make the repair disapear..
"in a dog eat dog world,i'll have mine medium rare"
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2014 at 6:47pm
Hey Erik

I cringed when I saw those pictures....I wish you well with getting it fixed...it just solidfies my motto of never four wheeling mine...mine will be pavement pounder as long as I own it...I would be heart sick if this was my PILE...I know it was designed to be off roaded but darn...turning into my driveway with all 4 wheels facing the same direction....that is where I am at right now...

Good luck with the fixing up process.

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
BillF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2014 at 10:39pm
It took over 60 years for that frame to crack, and it was made out of two frames as it is.  Taken the off road is not going to really hurt them.
1952 m38

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrrrrrrrr9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2014 at 12:01am
It was also kinda a case of me beating on it too hard to. Anyway, I finished welding the frame back together. I took off the old fishplate and welded on a single 18" one instead of two small ones. The ends are 3" diameter circles.

Erik
1948 Cj2a "Rustina"
build pictures
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2014 at 12:50am
What crack? Looks great.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrrrrrrrr9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2014 at 12:20am
Thanks!
Erik
1948 Cj2a "Rustina"
build pictures
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2014 at 2:17am
Originally posted by rrrrrrrrr9 rrrrrrrrr9 wrote:

It was also kinda a case of me beating on it too hard to. Anyway, I finished welding the frame back together. I took off the old fishplate and welded on a single 18" one instead of two small ones. The ends are 3" diameter circles.

Hey Erik

You do quick work for sure...I see no tub on this chassis...this rebuild take me weeks to complete....what is you trick to getting all this work done so fast???...just wondering out loud...

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
Tin Badge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tin Badge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2014 at 4:44am
That thing could take an RPG round now and just laugh it off. Glad to see your back in business!!!
Family Motto "If its not broken lets take it apart and lose some of the pieces and then it will be"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrrrrrrrr9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2014 at 12:51am
Thanks for the kind words. As far as doing quick work Mike I really don't, I just log a lot of hours and spend all of me free time working. For example I spent 8 hours today and 3-4 hours every weekday since Monday to get the frame fixed. No secrets involved except practice and and a cordless impact driver. This is my third or fourth time taking apart my Jeep to this level so all of the bolts come off easy now.
Erik
1948 Cj2a "Rustina"
build pictures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>