Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Death Wobble

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Death Wobble
    Posted: 16 July 2007 at 9:44am
Lefty mostly just sits in the shop but on the fourth I took it into the parade about 15 mi into town. No problem at all on the way in and during the parade but on the way home I got her up to around 50 and hit a little bump and all hell broke loose! Realized what it was right away and hit the brakes but she wobbled all the way untill completly stopped. Statred out again and kept it under 40 the rest of the way home with no more problems.

Every thing looks to be in good shape; tie rods, bell crank, drag link, and steering box are all tight. Steering is just fine the only thing I've noticed is there is a little excess play in the front wheel bearings. King pins seem fine. I've never had this problem with Mule even with the steering box running with no bearings and one tie rod end very bad.

Is it something to do with the NDT's? 6.00 16s. Have big tires on Mule. Is it as simple as being out of alignment? More critical on narrower tires? Im grasping here. NDTs do set up a rythym on pavement kinda like a tractor.

Could those who have experienced this give me some ideas? How have you guys corrected this problem? I don't want to go with a steering damper. Need some advice.

Thanks.....WFB
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
Doug View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 10:03am
Wheel bearings could be the issue as with out of balance tires...but the only way I've ever corrected a death wobble issue is with king pins.

Steering damper is just a band aid, doesn't fix the real problem.

Were I you, I'd snug the wheel bearings up and then push in HARD on the top of the wheel. I mean REAL HARD. the movement you're looking for is small and somewhat hard to detect. Any back and forth movement at the top of the wheel is too much. Someone probably knows the specs, but the tires off the ground, the knuckles should take a little effort to turn in the steering motion. Disconnected from the other side I'm thinking it's around 15 ft lbs, but you better verify that to be sure.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,
shouting "...holy cow, what a ride!"
trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 10:10am
The more you adjust the tie rods to toe out the less the wobble will happen.

It's not the "right" way to fix it but it works. I was recently messing with my alignment an adjusted the toe in too much and it created the worst death wobble ever on a Jeep that never had the problem before.  So I made small adjustments (toe out) till the DW was gone.

Now sure it's going to wear out the tires quicker and everything else but when the day comes that I've worn out my 6.00-16 NDT tires that cost a whopping $65 each I'll say a little prayer for them and buy a new set.
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 10:12am

Allen,

In the only case of death wobble that I fixed, it took replacing the tie rod ends, and, as I recall, whatever can be replaced or tightened in the steering connecting rod.  It was getting rid of every bit of looseness in the steering mechanism.  If your wheel bearings are a bit worn or loose, I'd fix that.  That was all in my first '46. 

As it turns out, the only two times I've had the death wobble since is in the current '46 and only when I went to visit Oakes in Falls Church on one street near his sister's place.  When I was taking Bill for a ride, it happened again at the same spot.  Bill made the comment afterwards what sometimes, if the steering column is not tight against the dash/cowl, tightening up that bracket will fix it.  My own theory is that any bit of looseness needs to go away to get rid of the problem.

Another thing that strikes me as odd, is that there is more looseness in the steering box and the steering in general in my '47 than in the '46, and I've never had it in the '47.  I think that I need to test it over the same stretch of road that sets it off in the '46 to be sure.

The last bit of information is that, when it occurs, sometimes you can avoid coming to an absolute stop by  turning the steering wheel back and forth from slightly turning in one direction to slightly turning in the other.  This is the classic way to stop a shimmy and sometimes will settle down the death wobble as you are slowing down.   Of course, every time the wobble sets in, anything that is loose that causes it in the first place is definitely getting looser!

Good luck in tracking it down - and let us know everything that you do to get rid of it.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
TOM R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TOM R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 6:01am
i have come across this often just not on jeeps yet, make sure the steering box is securly bolted, the arm on the box is tight then that all the tie rod ends are good, it is usualy the box is loose, also check the bell crank on the front cross tube

easiest way to figure it out is have someone move the"play" in the wheel back and forth and look at all the parts to see what is moving
for mg42 talk goto www.mg42.us
46 CJ2A
T24/m29 WEASEL
1954 m37
mvpa 31698
nra lifer
my project http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=7008
Doug Timme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 8:29am
I have only had it happen to me once. I was going downhill at almost 50, when I hit a pot hole. It went away after braking hard. The worst part was figuring out how to clean the seat coversBig%20smile

Doug
Jeff View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 8:36am
When I had the wobble, I replaced everything but the king pins.  come to find out they were the culprit.  I agree, start with the visual inspection first and it requires two people but don't overlook the kingpins!  If it happened once it will happen again and with greater frequency as things get more wear.
Jeff
westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 9:45am
Thanks for the advice!

Good ideas of what to look at Clap

I'm thinking king pins as every thing else seems tight. I'll have to take the play out of the bearings first. The front tires are worn also. When I got it one wheel was aimed east while the other went west. I've tried to adjust it as per the manual, which does have toe-in involved. The shaking was so violent that it seemed with too much of it the whole front end would disintegrate!

I'm also curious as to the dynamics of the wobble, it was a little bump that set it off! That combined with speed: downhill with the wind. But why the violent wobble and the steering not being able to control it when the linkage is fairly tight? Now I do understand why it's called death wobble. I was lucky that there is not that much traffic out here. If this would happen in city type driving it would be even more serious.

Maybe driving it was the problem in the first place LOLLOL. It does look nice just sitting in the shop. I often wonder why I bought Lefty in the first place. Confused I could blame you guys for getting me so addicted to these vehicles.
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
Doug View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 2:50pm
As far as the dynamics... No different than the bum shopping cart at the grocery store with the wheel that shakes like mad. Slack in the king pins allows enough change in the caster/camber/toe to make the wheel pull one way, then the other ...really really fast! The bump in the road just sets off the madness.

Adjusting toe out like trader said is curing the il by forcing the tires to pull one direction which helps keep them from doing the back and forth thing.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 3:05pm
Although several here have had to take the slop out of the kingpins to cure the wobble, my own experience suggests that kingpin looseness is not the only cause of this condition.  Several of us are saying that other combinations of loose steering components can lead to the condition.  Just because the last fix made before a cure was to fix the kingpins does not prove that if the other loose components were left as is and the kingpins fixed, that the wobble would have been fixed.  Only if the the first and only condition fixed were the loose kingpins would it be rational to conclude that the loose kingpins caused the problem.

Don't mean to be contentious, but the implications in several of the posts could lead a reader to the conclusion that loose kingpins are the only culprit. Smile
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 3:39pm
I agree with all above. EVERY component has to be tight. once one wears, they wear the others exponetially. I haven't installed or gone thru my front end but new king pins will be a part I won't skimp on, nor will the tie rod ends, bell crank, and stearing gear.
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

Jeff View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 4:09pm
there is much written about the death wobble whether here, Willys tech, the 3B page or the G503 site.  All cures that one comes to are not necessarily the cure that will work for you.  As I stated above, I replaced everything but the kingpins only to find out they were the cause.  Did my steering box need a rebuild?  probably as well as my bell crank, tie rods etc and all were rebuilt or replaced still with no luck.  I took it to two front end shops and they could not cure it, granted the were the 21st century mechanics.  Trying to isolate the problem to the kingpins was tough because they did not show any signs of wear from the normal wheel on test.
there is no worse feeling of hitting that perfect series of bumps and having that wobble, except for tipping the Jeep over but that is another story Wink

good luck
Jeff
Doug View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 5:36pm
Sometimes I should take more time with my replies so I don't come off as over bearing or opinionated...LOL

Seriously, I lean more towards the components that allow caster and camber to change when dealing with a stock vehicle but there is no set rule saying other inputs, or lack of inputs can't cause the same symptom. Big out of balance tires...loose wheel bearings..loose whatever and so on.
westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 6:08pm
No.... I want to hear all the opinions and experiences!!!! Might have focused on the king pins too much as the rest of the components all feel real tight. The bell crank has a minute amount of play compared to how Mules was and the bearings definately need to be tightened. I'll have to go through all of it as I get time as this is an experience that  I feel once is enough.

Thanks for everyones input on this.

I'd like to hear more stories from those who have lived through it...... It would be very interesting to hear form someone who didn't.

WFB
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 8:20pm
My GPW that I did 25 years ago didn't have a problem...Lots of 55mph plus (with overdrive)I went thru everything. The '48 I sold to the neighbor never had an "issue" (went thru it too)  BUT, the plow Jeep on the only road trip had a bad case of DEATH WOBBLE..The M38A1 with the same set-up hasn't been worn enough I guess to have this problem..Yet.
  I will say that once that starts it's wooble, it is scary as hell. It will definitly will shake the ice cream out of your cone after a trip to the DQ  
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

Doug View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2007 at 6:43am
I don't really have any good stories about it...might be cause I'm too dumb to be scared of it. LOL My 85 Chevy 1 ton still has yet to be fixed, but I rarely drive it.

Had a few other vehicles that had the affliction. Typically brought it out of it by jamming the brakes and turning the wheel as much as I could one way without running off the road. Sometimes turning the wheel helps, sometimes not...at very least it makes you feel like you're influencing the situation.Wink
Oakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2007 at 7:33am
Originally posted by samcj2a samcj2a wrote:

Allen,

As it turns out, the only two times I've had the death wobble since is in the current '46 and only when I went to visit Oakes in Falls Church on one street near his sister's place.  When I was taking Bill for a ride, it happened again at the same spot.  Bill made the comment afterwards what sometimes, if the steering column is not tight against the dash/cowl, tightening up that bracket will fix it.  My own theory is that any bit of looseness needs to go away to get rid of the problem.

I almost left stains on the seat.LOL

Edited by Oakes - 18 July 2007 at 7:34am
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES, THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2007 at 7:40pm
Also, if it has not been mentioned before check your tire pressure. My MB only had 15 lbs. and was wobbly in the front, I aired up to 20 lbs. and now it is fine. Let us know what you find.

Russ

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
 Post Reply Post Reply