Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Delco Remy 12 Volt alternator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbub007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Delco Remy 12 Volt alternator
    Posted: 29 June 2016 at 5:17pm
I have a L134 engine that I am rebuilding that is set up with 12 volt system including alternator.  The alternator has been in storage several years and has crud in it, dirt dobber nest and general dirt, grease and grime.  What is the best way to clean up an alternator without damaging the internals and what unexpected things that might I encounter.  I have never messed with these except for installing and removal.  Budget won't allow be to buy a rebuilt on at this point.  Was working when I took it off.  Good alternator and would like to re use if possible.
OldBub007 
plowpusher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plowpusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2016 at 4:20am
GM alternators are fairly easy to take apart .First mark the two case half's so when you put it back together it gets clocked the right way. Then remove the pulley and fan , remove the four bolts holding the case half's and stator you can the pull it apart the stator will stay with the back half pull the front off then pull the rotor out the brushes will pop out of the brush holders .If you have to take it apart further you can unbolt the three small bolts out of the heat sink/diode bridge and remove the stator from the rear case clean it out with compressed air and airisol electrical cleaner. When you go to reassemble put the brushes back into the brush holders, on the back of the rear case there is a small hole take a straightened paper clip insert it into the hole and across the brushes, reassemble in reverse order and when all back together pull the wire/paperclip out the brushes should snap in place.       

when i grow up i wanna be a kid
 Post Reply Post Reply