Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1947 CJ2a - bigdaddy's Jeep therapy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1947 CJ2a - bigdaddy's Jeep therapy
    Posted: 30 Jan. 2017 at 11:11pm
I've lurked and posted a bit around here long enough, I figured I should post up a real progress thread.

My rig is a 1947 Cj2a that I picked up here in socal. It's an AZ rig originally, and is covered in a nice patina of white, red and Yellow.

This is what she looked like the day I picked her up.

The original color is Michigan yellow, judging from the color under the ID tags in the engine compartment.

It came complete with a nice pair of front seats and I also got a center seat which I'm not convinced was a factory option. Aftermarket, or custom made, maybe?

Came with a factory L134, but its a boat anchor, so I scoured the interwebs for a replacement and stumbled upon a local, running f134 for a small bit of coin and snatched it up the next day.

I slung out the original motor, set it aside, did a complete clutch job with resurfaced flywheel, new clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, fork and clutch cable.

I also completely refreshed the fuel system with a new tank, sender, fuel lines and fresh fuel.

Fast forward to a week ago and she pulled herself out of my garage for the first time.

I have many, many little things to do including

-Plumbing and pressure testing original L134 radiator
-Finishing 12v conversion (alternator, new wiring, new light bulbs)
-installing disc brake conversion (very similar to Metcalf's setup)

-installing low-profile carb (1904/1908 falcon carb)
-finish up driver side motor mount to accommodate f-head mounting plate
-fab battery tie-down
-re-install tank tie-down
-refinish/repaint a bunch of small hardware pieces
-finish up custom throttle linkage.
-refresh all fluids
-re-pack all bearings and re-grease axle swivels
-etc, etc....haha. you know how it is.

Thanks for the wealth of data and discussion on this site. It's really helped clarify the direction I want to take my Jeep. This is definitely going to stay a CJ2a, but restomod is my focus. I want disc brakes, but I'm not willing to sacrifice the look of the stock rims, I want a 12v system, but you won't be able to see any modern equipment at a casual glance. I want LED lighting for trail use, but I'm going to tuck it up and out of the way, so it doesn't ruin the period look.

I have a background in theatre, so I'm used to using lies, deceit, and misdirection to hide modern tech to tell a time specific story. :)

Edited by bigdaddy13 - 20 June 2017 at 2:55pm
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2017 at 11:37pm
Welcome and thanks for posting. We always like to see what others are working on and what they started with. Your sheet metal looks great. Wish I had one that nice to start with. Up in the north east, we are not that lucky. Remember, when you get sick of it and want to sell it, let me know.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
bigdaddy13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2017 at 2:28pm
Thanks! And for sure, that is one benefit to the arid region we live in. Rust is not a huge factor.

Also, a lot of the mods the LRDG made to their rigs are somwwhat relevant in the socal deserts. "Yes dear, this purchase should be filed under safety-related". Yes, i know i already have 4 jerry cans...
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2017 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by bigdaddy13 bigdaddy13 wrote:

...so I'm used to using lies, deceit, and misdirection to hide modern tech to tell a time specific story. :)

Using only that information, I would have guessed political sciences LOL

- consensus in a name is key, especially with daughters,
-glad to see you didn't leave installing the bottle opener to the end, lol... put that sucker to work early, I say,
-glad to hear you're not cutting the hood...

Looking forward to following along... x2 on we in the northeast being jealous of sheet metal from certain other parts of the world Smile
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2017 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Using only that information, I would have guessed political sciences LOL

- consensus in a name is key, especially with daughters,
-glad to see you didn't leave installing the bottle opener to the end, lol... put that sucker to work early, I say,
-glad to hear you're not cutting the hood...

Looking forward to following along... x2 on we in the northeast being jealous of sheet metal from certain other parts of the world Smile

haha...yeah, that bottle opener was THE first mod I completed.

Yup, hood will be intact, though I understand I have to remove the seam above the carb itself, to make the air horn fit, but I figure I can just gently spot weld some reinforcement in that area.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2017 at 1:54am
One of our security cameras caught the middle kid and me joyriding on the driveway. :)

Made some progress this weekend.

1. Finished fabbing up a custom throttle linkage to accomodate the F-head
2. Mounted up alternator - need to build lower bracket that comes off of front plate
3. Welded up some repairs on the hood

Edited by bigdaddy13 - 06 Feb. 2017 at 2:04am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2017 at 6:44am
Question: what do you think the grill is off to the right of my dash?

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2017 at 7:26am
I think it is a table speaker from an old Sebring juke box.
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2017 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

I think it is a table speaker from an old Sebring juke box.

Ok, that's pretty cool. I'm not sure I know exactly what that is, though?

So it's a speaker, presumably for a radio system, but from a table-top jukebox? As in, one of those small jukeboxes that sat on a table a 50's diner?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2017 at 12:33am
I'm not that sure but the S just brought it to mind. The later diner systems had the remote controls at the booths and I can't find any good pictures of just the logo.
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2017 at 12:36am
Actually, it might be Seburg?
uncamonkey
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2017 at 2:25am
Studebaker......
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2017 at 5:30am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Studebaker......

That certainly could be, I knew the S reminded me of something.
uncamonkey
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2017 at 1:58pm

Originally posted by </span><span =msgsidepro1=><span style=font-size: 11.5pt; font-weight: normal; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold;><font face=Arial>bigdaddy13 bigdaddy13 wrote:

I also got a center seat which I'm not convinced was a factory option. Aftermarket, or custom made, maybe?

I would check that center seat carefully to see if it may be one of the optional "Jump Seats"

http://jeepwillysworld.com/blog/2015/01/22/1955-dumas-seat-bench-pads/

Edited by Rus Curtis - 10 Feb. 2017 at 2:12pm
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2017 at 3:40am
Will do! Thanks for the link.

Edited by bigdaddy13 - 11 Feb. 2017 at 3:42am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2017 at 6:15am
Got an hour or two of Willys therapy...continuing to remove the slathered on red topcoat to reveal the michigan yellow.

What is interesting is that i am seeing a limestone color below the yellow. What would that have been? Its a very pale yellow.

Edited by bigdaddy13 - 14 Mar. 2017 at 6:25am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2017 at 11:00pm
I like the patina look, but honestly, the ketchup and mustard look was always a bit too bright for me. I'm more interested in a muted look with highlights. I found a budget paint that mimics picket grey fairly well. I'm thinking of a deep red for the wheels with black brackets, tailgate chains and hood hold-downs.

3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2017 at 11:13pm
Hey There,
I am looking for a budget Picket Grey to re-coat my "Grey Mule" so he doesn't look like a "Bloody Spotted ADDER". May I ask what paint you came up with?

Regards,
PGR
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>