Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Diesel anyone ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zedanny1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diesel anyone ?
    Posted: 27 May 2012 at 5:34pm
Has anyone ever tried to install a diesel engine in a pre 1952 jeep ?
I was just wondering because I have a great perkin's 4 cly diesel engine in an old Ebro farm tractor that I don't use .
Zedanny
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 6:07pm
Most likely been done many times, I have seen a Mercedes 6 cyl installed in an early 3B, the guy used for snowplowing, He did a great job installing it but said the F head worked better.
I think things to concider are weight, The diesel makes its power at a lower rpm and may have drivability issues on the road.
       MHO, good luck, Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Dez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 7:35pm
I had a Perkins in a old toyota I owned, It was mated to a SM420 and mated to a Dana20. As far as I Could tell the previous owner cut a adapter out of 1/2" plate and somehow it bolted all together. The perkins was nice for low end torque but it topped out at 45mph and It would take a few minutes to get upto 45.
Zedanny1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zedanny1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 7:43pm
I did see where AMC installed a perkins in some 61 tro 65 jeeps .

Edited by Zedanny1 - 27 May 2012 at 7:47pm
Zedanny
Dez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 9:25pm
They did put Renault diesels in the Cherokee's as well. From what Ive seen with them in XJ they did pretty well.
Zedanny1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zedanny1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 9:31pm
Renault use a lot of perkins engins .
Zedanny
wyowillys46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyowillys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 1:50am
Your best bet would be a Mercedes OM616 or a VW diesel. They'd be easier to get parts for than a Perkins. For some more info try looking around over at http://www.4btswaps.com.
1946 #27869

Take a look at my webpage:

<a href="http://wyowillys46.awardspace.com">Wyowillys46</a>
Gunslinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 1:51pm
I was thinking about putting an Isuzu diesel in one, I used to have  PUP pickup diesel and it was a solid little 2 liter engine.  There were a couple interesting things that differed from the gas version.  The input shaft to the transmission had 13 splines rather than the 9 splines on the gas and the clutch plate was 2 inches larger in diameter as well.  My guess is that this was due to the torque difference between the motors.  I'm not sure if that is the case with other engines but it would make the conversion a little more difficult.  On the other hand you may be able to get away with a four speed tranny as well, which would make it nice to drive on the hwy.
Gunslinger
50 CJ3A, M38A1
brandon219 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandon219 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 2:02pm
or a 2 liter diesel out of a jetta. Guys are putting those in suzuki samurai's. Great setup!!!
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 2:37pm
My uncle has an mb that someone put a Mercedes diesel into. I'd think gearing would be an issue as most diesels don't have much for higher rpms
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
Frans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 2:52pm
I had an Isuzu C190 diesel engine in my CJ2A. With 4.88 diffs I got 110 km/h out of it and very light on diesel.
Here in South Africa it is very popular to put Toyota 2C diesel engins in CJ's. There is a local company who makes an aluminium bellhousing for Toyota 2C to T90 transmission.

Frans
Smithfield, South Africa
Tel 0794317256
Dez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 4:36pm
Wish we had the diesel options you guys do in S.AFrica, Id love me one of those toyota diesels.
Zedanny1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zedanny1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 5:01pm
Wonder how much it would cost a guy to buy one and ship to the USA ?
 my son has an old refigrated semi trailer with a diesel unit on the front of it just setting on the hill. Parts would be avabile from theroking for it.

Zedanny
wyowillys46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyowillys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Zedanny1 Zedanny1 wrote:

Wonder how much it would cost a guy to buy one and ship to the USA ?
 my son has an old refigrated semi trailer with a diesel unit on the front of it just setting on the hill. Parts would be avabile from theroking for it.

You'd probably be better off sourcing a small automotive diesel, than the reefer unit. They're designed for constant RPM, so the injection pump wouldn't be of any use.
1946 #27869

Take a look at my webpage:

<a href="http://wyowillys46.awardspace.com">Wyowillys46</a>
Zedanny1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zedanny1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 8:14pm
Thank I never thought of that. Heck i'm 70 years old the gas engine will probly out live me. Lol
Zedanny
Frans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 8:16am
The Toyota 1C, 2C & 3C (turbo) diesel engines came in Cressida cars in Europe and Japan. Very impressive little engine- you get them with or without a turbo. They imported thousands of these engines very cheap to South Africa. I don't know if you have them in the USA. I put a 2C engine (without turbo) in an old 1988 Toyota Hilux 4x4 and it really impressed me. My son has the same model Hilux with a 2.4 diesel engine, but this little 2 liter 2C engine performs much better than the 2.4.
Sadly, very few CJ2A's in South Africa are still running with original engines. When we ran out of Willys parts the engines were replaced with 2.5 liter Chevy 153 (not the Iron Duke) or 3 liter Ford Essex engines. 
Zedanny, if you can find an engine I can get you a bellhousing and send it over. The people who make them is Gilo Engineering.  http://www.giloeng.com/adapterparts.htm

Frans
Smithfield, South Africa
Tel 0794317256
andreasgruson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andreasgruson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 10:50am
I'm currently building a late CJ-2a with a Kubota 2liter turbo diesel that I got from the guys at Overland Diesel (www.overlanddiesel.com).  They do a terrific job on the adapeter - essentially used an M38-A1 bellhousing that bolts directly to the T-90 transmission.  Comes with the motor mounts which are pretty straightforward to install.  The motor fits perfectly - about the same size as the L134, and is the same weight.
Andreas
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 12:22pm
I got a 2-53 Detroit sitting in the shed, I always thought it would be sweet to put in a jeep. Only the Detroit turns half the RPMs of the L134. It would make road trips a little slow, but would make a great trail rig.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>