Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do all CJ2A's leak oil???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do all CJ2A's leak oil???
    Posted: 14 Apr. 2014 at 12:11am
Hi Everybody

My PILE as I call it is a 1947 CJ2A...it has a brandy new (all stock) rebuilt engine in it...every seal from bumper to bumper has been replaced...every single time I drive it it leaves puddles of what appears to be 90 weight and motor oil too...I don't understand engines very well so if someone can explain where all these puddles might be coming from???
I have been told more than once that "its a Jeep thing"....another..."all Jeeps leak oil"....another...."don't worry about the leaks; worry when it doesn't"...and another ..."oh it is just marking its spot"...I will grin when I hear these comments....nod my head as if I know what they are talking about...

Do these vintage Jeeps in fact are they supposed to leak???...my daily driver (Chevy S10) will weep maybe a quarter size drop on the garage floor....

This 1947 CJ2A needs a large piece of cardboard for a diaper under it to catch all the dripping oil...

Any insight would be great

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2014 at 12:35am
Do all CJ2As leak oil? In a nutshell, Most of them! As well as most 3As, 3Bs, etc. lol..

Keep in mind, oil sealing technology has greatly improved since these old jeeps where designed. In fact, if my old willys quit leaking, I would think it was out of oil.

Edited by gmcjr - 14 Apr. 2014 at 12:38am
Gary

51 CJ-3A
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2014 at 12:46am
Naaa! They don't leak. I think someone is following me around and every time I stop, they pump oil out of a can under mine!  They sure are dedicated though Clown. I never see them either! John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2014 at 12:48am
Mike, unless you have taken the time, or paid someone else to machine flat and smooth, every single mating surface, it will leak. 
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2014 at 1:54am
2x what Rick said. They only leak because seal surfaces are not correct.  
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Thunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2014 at 2:42am
Murph isn't really running yet, so I cant comment about Old Flat Fendered Jeeps. However, I do own an old A-car with a Detroit engine. That one doesn't really leak, it just marks its territory...
Follow my build here: http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/murph_topic29621.html

CJ2A/ M-38 wannabe
Spen Trailer SG474
lschultz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lschultz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2014 at 3:03am
LOL you noticed that too.
2010 Dodge 2500 4x4
2013 Indian Cheif Vintage
1948 CJ2A
Tin Badge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tin Badge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2014 at 6:00am
Its the only way I know for sure there is fluid in it all the time. When it stops that's when to get concerned?
Family Motto "If its not broken lets take it apart and lose some of the pieces and then it will be"
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2014 at 6:09am
YesLOL
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2014 at 6:29am
My one does not leak.....although I have not put any oil in it yetLOLLOL

If you can get a good quality gasket cement you will win, I use a 3 Bond proper Silicon based product for all my jobs and its proven to be great.....quite expensive, x Japan...

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Jared1956 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared1956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2014 at 5:02pm
I've yet to see one not leak!!  I just fill all my cases every few months...transmission, transfer case, front and rear diffs, and crankcase.  The steering box is also supposed to have oil in it and mine leaks it out quickly.  Usually they don't take more than an ounce or two tops...it just looks like a lot on the garage floor!! LOL!

Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2014 at 5:24pm
I would be more worried when they stop leaking. 

It is probably running dry at that point. 

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2014 at 6:00pm
The Chrysler Museum spent a bunch of money having an early 1945 CJ2A restored. I always got great satisifaction from seeing a nice little puddle under it when I would visit. Even the pros have trouble keeping them dry.

Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
oldracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2014 at 8:57pm
I'm with you MikeC, Leaks are embarrassing.  Living on an airport you will notice that hanger floors are exceptionally clean and much time and money are spent keeping them that way.  The big Customs and Border Enforcement hanger across from my house has eight Citation Jets and several helicopters in it and EVERY Friday they all are pulled outside and the hanger floor is washed and polished till it shines.  After I got Grunt running again I started driving him over to a friends hanger for coffee and parking on the apron in front.  After a few trips my friend took me aside one morning and politely asked if I would mind parking on the grass.  
T. Nick
If it's not broke, work on it till it is!

48 CJ2A #192834 "Grunt"
johnrb3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnrb3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2014 at 5:20pm
Hi Mike,

Yes, all 2As leak.
And all 3As and all 3Bs and all early 5s and . . .
If if ain't leakin' it's out of lube.
Tongue

1946 - CJ-2A serial # 40567 ACM 31930
1949 - me - no longer older than all my Jeeps.
1954 CJ-3B -- 1957 4x4 Wagon -- 2010 JK 4-door
Past Jeeps
1954 CJ-3B - no tub -- 1959 CJ-3B - no engine
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2014 at 5:44pm
This drives me absolutely crazy. NO!!! Jeeps don't have to leak! There is nothing magical about these jeeps. They are like every other vehicle when it comes to sealing. They will leak past seals when the seal surfaces have poor size and/or surface finish. They will leak out mating surfaces when the mating surfaces are not flat. The will leak past splines if they are not sealed. It's as simple as that. The only exception would be is the shift tower rails on a top load transmission, and with the proper mods, that won't leak either. What I've noticed when help people with this problem is that most people working on them don't understand and/or recognize what a proper sealing surface should be like. So don't blame the jeep, blame the mechanic. OK... off my soap box now.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2014 at 5:49pm
Easy son. Easy now.
SlowPocono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlowPocono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2014 at 5:50pm
Joe, I think you are absolutely correct.

I do have a question though.

Does your Jeep leak, anywhere, at all?

Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>