Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dogs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dogs
    Posted: 29 Sep. 2016 at 6:50am
You people will the 2nd bunch I have told about my dog.
We used to out camping and a friends Black Lab/ German Sheppard mix would kick rear in the water. He never even looked like he was putting out much effort and was always the first to whatever we threw out there. Turk. He would also dive for rocks we threw out there.
I wanted a Black Lab after that when I was 13. So I watched the papers and found a place that had pups for sale close to the house and my mother drove me there.
Several happy, yipping pups greeted us and one female was across the pen, waggy tail and happy pup face and I could see that her right front leg had been broken at some time. I got her over and picked her up.
My dog.
My mother never said a word. Knowing her, it would have been the pup she would have picked as well.
I spent 2 nights on the back patio being close to her and she was fine as long as I had a hand in her side. 
A few years later I was sitting in a corner of my room feeling poorly about my life and Samantha tried to crawl in my lap. I gave her a smack and she came right back to my lap and tried to lick any part of my body she could. I figured it out, she was just trying to comfort me.
Until I am dead I will always regret smacking her.
She was always good at doing a tap dance on my body and trying to push me out of my bed.
Do you understand why I like dogs?

uncamonkey
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2016 at 7:21am
Have had three dogs that shared their life with me - understand how you like dogs... Question is - why are we so blessed that they care for us?

If you have a special place for dogs and old Jeeps check out this. (I bet the old gentlemen is French...)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wAdJghJMyRI
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2016 at 8:15am
Some place I have listed about 10 dogs that been friends with and I'm sure I missed a few.
Most dogs like me because I like them. My neighbors always know when I show up because there might be 4 to 8 dogs out there that will change to a "Hello John bark" As I get to the fence
The reason I didn't shared much about my first dog is that even after all of these years I still feel bad about smacking her when she was just trying to help me.
I can walk across the street and sometimes a stray dog will follow me.
I believe it was P.G. Wodehouse that said we are strange people. We will get an animal, knowing we are going to out live them and it will rip our hearts out when they die.

uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2016 at 7:20am
I'm surprised this hasn't gone much further. I have been sending emails to a friend for over a week to talk about my old dogs and the fun I had with them over the years. She is a rehab unit dealing with her new knee, Arnold, and she is an animal lover and I have made her laugh or cry. She sent a few off to her sister and she had the same reaction. I've been in those places before and I send her a few paragraphs to keep her entertained.
I still have a few dogs and cat stories to go through But I'm surprised nobody else has decided to tell a story about their animal companion. They were an important part of our lives after all. I could tell her about the horse that followed me around one day. I'm not going to send on any story but some of you must have had a companion you cared about.

Edited by Unkamonkey - 19 Oct. 2016 at 7:28am
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2016 at 4:43am
Do I need to prime the pump on this?
Our family was sitting in the dining room one summer and my Black Lab was trained to stay out while we were eating. She would sit in a doorway with world class streams of saliva hanging off of her muzzle. My brother got up to go to the bathroom or something I managed the perfect toss of food at the perfect time so both streams of saliva ended up on his leg.
I looked at my stone faced mother to see if I was in trouble. She had her hand across her mouth and was giggling. My father was about falling out of his chair.
Somebody else must have a story about their animal companion.

Edited by Unkamonkey - 21 Oct. 2016 at 5:12am
uncamonkey
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2016 at 7:15pm
I try to be half the man my dogs think i am. That way i know I'm doing ok.

They are both rescue dogs, from the local shelter. More loyal animals you could not find.
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2016 at 7:47pm
Thanks Saffer.
Some friends have had 2 Border Collies from the BC rescue group. They bought their mountain property and a big white dog came with it, Polly.
uncamonkey
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2016 at 9:45pm
Guess I'm another canine person.  I've had at least one all of my adult life and for a spell, a 6 pack of them.  All but one red heeler were border collies, ausies, or a cross between those.  All were freebies one way or another, not that any dog is really free.

The 6 pack era.

1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2016 at 2:04am
Thanks Duffer. I know from your posts on ECJ5 forum you have a thing for your canine companions.
uncamonkey
Becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2016 at 1:16am
At the moment I have five at the house. A brother and sister, chiwawa and boston terrier, big dog, mix of german sheppard and australian sheppard, a chiwawa, father to the brother and sister, and Kitty Cat, a sh*tzu.  This is the story of Big Dog. 

Papa Smurf had just come home from working 3rd shift and told us not to take the dogs out that there was a stray out.  So naturally we, Momma Smurf and I, go take a look.  There was a pup at the front door waiting to get in.  So for two hours I walk around town with her off leash trying to find her owners because she looked like she broke her lead.  Took her home after I realized that she was dumped.  I had my mom bring out food and water and call the animal control.  Gave her two baths to get rid of the fleas and muck she picked up and stuck here on the back porch for the animal control to pick up.

We thought about her for a little over two weeks till she came up for adoption.  My sister and I went in halves for her, but she seems to have remembered that two hour walk when I first met her.
1947 Willys CJ-2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2016 at 1:52am
Pretty good tale, or tail.
I would go out to unwind the chain my neighbors dog that was hooked to a tree by. I would also go out in the dark to feed her leftovers, always making sure they were within her chained area. I'm sure she knew me. Blanca escaped one afternoon and would not come to us so Mike went home to get his Lab, Molly.
We let them play in my yard and Mike called in Molly and Blanca followed.
Sorry Blanca, back on your chain.
I was sitting in my yard working on my Jeep and heard something running at me from the back. Blanca climbs in my lap so I cleaned the grease off of my hands and gave her a proper scratching.
Again, sorry Blanca and I put her back on her chain

Edited by Unkamonkey - 24 Oct. 2016 at 1:56am
uncamonkey
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2016 at 11:43pm
We are presently dogless.  Our Airedale "Jeep" died September 30 at sundown.  He had been a good buddy and a good traveling companion.  Two trips to the California coast, many trips to Galveston, Texas and Mississippi. 
He loved going in the Jeep to Spearfish Canyon or geocaching anywhere.  Coffee on Wednesday with some other retired refinery hands.  Anywhere anytime "Jeep" was ready to go.
He thought people were great, and got along well with most other dogs.  He was very hard on cats, rabbits and other small furry things.
"Jeep" is truly missed.     
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2016 at 1:09am
My Lab died on a Christmas eve. No body told me so I had to go out the garage to lay a hand on her side again as I shared a last beer with her. My parents Dachshund died a week later.
I suppose there is a reason I spent the afternoon across the street playing with the 4 dogs over there.
Three of the pups in our group are from the same litter that we are the companions with. You ever see the movie UP? All 3 pups go nuts if there is a tree rat out there or a rabbit.
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2016 at 7:51am
Dachshunds? We got the first one because she bit some twerp kids that were messing with her pups.
A decent camping dog but would never want to leave. We would have to fire up the mighty '62 Suburban and start to drive off and she would come racing out of the woods to jump in he truck.
She handed in her dinner pail and we ended up with Liesel.
A smaller dachshund but she thought she was a wolf. She rode in moms lap and mom had to hold her so she wouldn't jump out of the window to rip the throats out of anything she saw including windmills.
We would be hiking across a meadow and she would not even make eye contact with a cow but she could find that fresh cow pie to roll in.

uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2016 at 3:51am
I'm in the mood to write.
We would get to the beaver pond and wash the dog off. She saw bobbers out in the lake and had to go out to retrieve them. Get her back and get the fishhook out of her leg. Pound in a stake next to a critter hole and hook up her leash so she had something to dig at.
We made the mistake once of not having her on a leash as we walked back to the truck, not a lot of fun to ride back to camp with a green dog.
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2016 at 4:26am
Dachshunds will find your sleeping bag and crawl down to the bottom so that when you get in your feet are greeted by the angry little black beast from Hades that wants to chew your feet off.
Dachshunds don't like mail or the carrier, I would go get the mail that came in through the slot and the dog has tried to kill every bit of it.
My mother got tired of all of the noise and one afternoon she opened the door and released Liesel so she could kill the letter carrier. Imagine if you can a miniature dog racing anywhere on those short legs but she raced across the street barking, snarling and growling like the mad little beast she was towards the letter carrier. Got to him and promptly rolled on her back for a belly rub.
uncamonkey
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2016 at 8:26am
Well I have a Huntaway...NZ Sheep Dog, very smart and will soon teach him to weld.

He loves riding around in the Jeep, hates diggers and bulldozers and tries to bite the tracks....a degree of nuttyness there as well!

I will put a photo up over the weekend....his name is "Ralf"

He replaces an older Huntaway X that I had for 14yrs, all over about a month ago.

A great friend and a lot of fun.....woof woof

1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2016 at 2:40am
Originally posted by Adrian Adrian wrote:

Well I have a Huntaway...NZ Sheep Dog, very smart and will soon teach him to weld.

He loves riding around in the Jeep, hates diggers and bulldozers and tries to bite the tracks....a degree of nuttyness there as well!

I will put a photo up over the weekend....his name is "Ralf"

He replaces an older Huntaway X that I had for 14yrs, all over about a month ago.

A great friend and a lot of fun.....woof woof

Thanks Adrian, I had to do a search to find out what a Huntaway is. We don't have them here and it would make as much sense to you to say that one of the neighbor dogs is a Catahula. A cross between Great Danes and Native American dogs from Louisiana. His name is Gus and I call him Goofus.
I end up going out to rescue the UPS drivers and mail delivery people from Ringo, another neighbors Red Heeler. He just wants his afternoon butt scratch.

Edited by Unkamonkey - 05 Nov. 2016 at 2:54am
uncamonkey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>