Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dual Master Cylinder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dual Master Cylinder
    Posted: 17 Feb. 2010 at 2:48am
After living with a '46 2A with stock brakes, I decided to upgrade when redoing a '48 2A.  This was really basket case anyhow.  First step was get out the weed whacker and find some of the parts lying around the yard.  I found a set of M/C brackets on a '66 CJ5 and ground off the rivets.  The 3B page has a nice write up on this swap, but my 2A presented some additional challenges.  After removing the original M/C and brake lines, I had to cut off the original M/C bracket - just a plate tack welded to the frame.  I also had to cut off a piece of plate on the inside of the frame right where the pedals attached.  Lastly, I had to cut off the tube that holds the idler or cross shaft

OK, first snag, how do I make my pictures smaller in Kodak Easy share?

'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2010 at 4:25am
Hope I've got this figured out.  Here is a pic (I hope) of the stuff I removed

The later CJ5 tube that holds the cross shaft (Cross shaft support bearing) is bolted on, so the holes are already in the frame at the right place.  Later 3Bs apparently also has holes for the bottom of the new bracket, which the 2A doesn't (at least mine did not).

After getting the bracket in place, I used a M/C from a '74 CJ5.  Two reasons, one Moses Ludel used this type in his book, and most importantly, I already had it.  The brake lines exit on the right side, which a lot of of my Jeep M/Cs do not, and since left side is right against the frame, this one seemed like a good choice.  One other benefit, there is a tapped hole on the underside of the M/C that my brake light switch fits in perfectly.  I actually chose to add a 90 degree elbow here so it wouldn't hang down too far.  I hope this hole has enough pressure to activate the switch!I also had to add reducers to fit the 1/4 brake pipes.  I may also add 90 deg elbows if this is in the way of the drivetrain.
Try to get some pedals hooked tomorrow.  
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2010 at 4:06am
Took a while to get back to the Jeep, but the snow plow is fixed and the snow removed - for now.

Trying to find a brake pedal that works, so I used the one with the least wear, thinking they were all the same.  After all, when you buy a replacement brake pedal, they list one number from '46 - '71.  What I found was that the brake pedal from a '66 CJ5 lines up the M/C push rod best, but not sure it will line up with the tub.  Photo shows, left to right, '47 CJ2A (marked A404);  '66 CJ5 (marked 31416);
'56 DJ3A (#847635?).  I will have to get the tub on to be sure, but it looks like we'll probably have to remove the pin from the pedal that holds the push rod and put on a longer one.With the '47 pedal inplace

'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2010 at 4:08am
'Nother goof, that's actually the brake pedal from a '56 DJ3A in place - it had the least wear
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2010 at 5:43pm
Interesting thread!
Nice work.
Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2010 at 5:57pm
Did you see this setup from Herm? It might help with yours.
http://www.hermtheoverdriveguy.com/id2_dual_reservoir_master_cylinder.htm

Edited by russnj - 01 Mar. 2010 at 5:57pm

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2010 at 4:26am
Russnj,
I saw the set up from Herm after I started installing mine.  There was a link to it from the 3B page.  I would still need  to find a good brake pedal.  Apparently the later frames had atleast a few holes drilled for the bracket - and Herm's bracket looks like a copy of the '66 - '71 bracket I'm using.  So, I may not have the bracket lined up perfectly.  Also in the pic on Herm's site, it looks like the M/C in the installed pic is the '66-'71 M/C, while the pic of the MC he is selling looks like my '72 - '75.  Incidentally, I had the '66 MC, but it was trashed, while the brakes on my '72 were top rate (too bad the engine wasn't)
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

Post Reply Post Reply