Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

engine timing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine timing
    Posted: 04 Sep. 2011 at 1:00am
Here is a brain teaser:
Engine runs fine with the #1 plug wire coming out of the 7 o clock position on the dizzy, #3 at the 5 o clock, and so on.  When looking at the timing mark on the fly wheel, the rotor is pointing at the 7 o clock postion. 
When a timing light is put on the #2 wire, we see the timing marks on the fly wheel.  The dizzy has the fat side of the slot on the up side or block side when the rotor is at the 5 postion.

Can a flywheel be mounted wrong to cause this?
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
Pat T. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2011 at 1:19am
could be the "dizzy" is off where the gears mate up to the oil pump. That is what is wrong with mine but with the plug wires adjusted right it runs good.

Pat
Gunslinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2011 at 1:06pm
You're fly wheel can only go on in two positions, the right one, or 180 degrees off.  It sounds like you're motor is about 90 degrees off.  I'm with Pat on this one, sounds like the oil pump was rotated a little too far when the distributor was installed, thus the PO must have rotated the distributor to compensate.  If it runs ok I'd leave it until you have a really good reason to tear into it.
Gunslinger
50 CJ3A, M38A1
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2011 at 3:24pm
OK, that's what my thoughts were.  The PO is me!  I did have a distributor problem a few years ago and swapped the oil pump.  So that could be the problem.  I think it's like you say, a non issue and don't fix it unless I need to get back in there for some other reason.
TX,
Lew
Lew Ladwig
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2011 at 3:34pm
Did you follow the timing guide provided by Sean? From what you described it sounds like your flywheel is 180 off, but you have successfully clocked your wires so that things run fine. Is the position of your rotor, when you have the timing marks lined up, pointing at #1 Or #4 plug wire? If it is #4 you're off 180 but that is ok since everything is routed correctly. Use #2 cylinder for future timing reference. Non issue right now. 
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2011 at 3:40pm
Oops. Correction. Reread your post. I guess the flywheel is mounted correctly since the rotor is pointed at #1 plug wire. But you evidently have routed the wires correctly for the position of the oil pump. Still a non issue..................I Hope--since mine was done the same way by me. (I'm usually my own worst enemy)
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2011 at 4:45pm
Lew:
Quote Here is a brain teaser
It runs, so ya musta done something right! LOL  ... but your description doesn't add up ...

If the timing marks show up with #1 plug wire, then they WILL/SHOULD NOT SHOW using #2 plug with a timing light!  Are you sure you've got the wires run correctly: 1-3-4-2 CCW?

Quote Can a flywheel be mounted wrong to cause this?
When the flywheel is on correctly, the timing marks will show up on BOTH #1 & #4 cylinders

When the flywheel is 180ยบ off, the timing marks will show up on BOTH #2 & #3 cylinders

Sean

Edited by sean - 13 Sep. 2011 at 2:47pm
Jim_n_Texas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_n_Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2011 at 5:14pm
I had to time mine without regard to the timing marks on the engine or the distributor alignment - I don't know what a PO did.  I brought #1 cylinder to TDC, plugged in #1 plug wire to line up with the rotor, put the rest in order and it fired up and ran like a champ.  It runs great with the timing mark on the pulley about 15 deg. off.
1946 CJ2A
1961 M422 Mighty Mite w/M416B1 trailer
1979 CJ5
1969 Jeepster Commando
Gunslinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2011 at 6:34pm
If it runs fine, I'd go fix something else!!!
Gunslinger
50 CJ3A, M38A1
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2011 at 8:31pm
Yep, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
rodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2011 at 9:15pm
I'm still tinkering with my newly rebuilt L134 engine.  Late June I got it running but it overheated so I decided to begin with the simplest solution first  --  the thermostat.  Then I was out of the country most of July so the engine sat; August was too hot to work on the CJ2A.  Finally cooler weather broke through the heat and I returned to the engine.  Another possible explanation for overheating could be an out-of-time engine so Sean's response to this thread was very timely for me.  Last night I checked timing by aligning the timing marks on the crank pulley and the timing marks on the flywheel.  When they were in alignment the rotor pointed the number 1 plug wire;  after rotating the engine to bring the marks into alignment again --  crankshaft pulley and flywheel  --  the rotor pointed to the number 4 plug wire.  Much relief!!

Thank you Sean for the concise description of proper timing. 

Rodney
46 CJ2A
48 CJ2A
North Newton  KS
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2011 at 2:20pm
Ok, after a carb rebuild to get a spec of dirt out of the low speed circuit and messing with the timing she is running like new again.  I bet I have 10% more power than I had before.  I can pull a long steep grade and not slow down!  On the flat she will do 60 if I let her.
It's enough difference that I have to get used to it or get busted for speeding!Smile

I need to crawl under her and give her a grease job and top of the cases and I'll be in top shape for the CFFC Allen Boyd Memorial Fall Colors Tour!

Thanks for all the help!
Lew
Lew Ladwig
 Post Reply Post Reply