Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Even More Engine Troubles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrrrrrrrr9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Even More Engine Troubles
    Posted: 02 Apr. 2014 at 12:08am
Well my engine is running now with the rebuilt carb from scoutpilot, but I have a new problem. If I slowly increase the throttle to the rpm where the high speed jet is supposed to kick in (a bit above idle) the vacuum drops from 20 mmhg down to around 5, the jet doesn't introduce any gas, and the engine dies. We put the vacuum gauge on Nate's Jeep Ted, and found that it pulls a steady 15-20 all through the rev range, and where mine dies the high speed jet kicks in on his and the engine runs fine. Does anyone have an idea of why my engine misses at the one rpm, and the vacuum drops at that one rpm so much? The distributor is in good condition, all of the jets are clean, and the engine doesn't have any vacuum leaks, stomping on the gas to get it to a higher rpm works, and the engine runs great a mid-high rpm and at idle, just having a problem at the one rpm just above idle.
Erik
1948 Cj2a "Rustina"
build pictures
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2014 at 12:24am
It sounds like the metering rod lifting pin is set to low. Just loosening the nut a raising the pin is rife with problems. It's hard to move it just a wee bit. You may need to borrow a metering rod setting tool from Scout Pilot and reset the metering rod.
Life is only as good as you make it.
garage gnome View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2014 at 3:21am
His metering rod is all the way up, the idle screw is backed all the way out and the air/fuel mixture screw is out 2 turns just like mine. BTW, I have a metering rod adjustment tool too. It still idles way higher than mine, probably 1000 or so.
Nate
1953 3A, 1949 3A, 1947 2A, 1918 IHC Titan 10-20, 1905 IHC Famous, other hit n misses

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2014 at 3:24am
I compared the gas stream coming out of the high speed jet at the troublesome RPM range and mine is significantly more gas.
Nate
1953 3A, 1949 3A, 1947 2A, 1918 IHC Titan 10-20, 1905 IHC Famous, other hit n misses

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2014 at 3:26am
For hahas, we should try swapping carbs and see if the problems moves. I still have the original carb that came with Ted, so we could try that one too. I forget why I put the one from my '53 on Ted.
Nate
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2014 at 10:46am
That sounds like a plan.
rrrrrrrrr9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrrrrrrrr9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2014 at 11:10am
It's certainly worth a try.
Erik
1948 Cj2a "Rustina"
build pictures
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2014 at 4:20pm
Yes, try another good carb. There may be a blockage in the rebuilt carb or some other issue.
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2014 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by Carlsjeep Carlsjeep wrote:

Yes, try another good carb. There may be a blockage in the rebuilt carb or some other issue.

1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
plowmb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plowmb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2014 at 9:42pm
Cracked intake ?  Maybe the weights in the distributer are catching. 
Glenn

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2014 at 11:31am
So we put my spare carb on and guess what, it ran perfectly!!!! I think all that caked on Willys grease has something to do with it. LOL Not sure what is up with that other carb....
Nate
Tin Badge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tin Badge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2014 at 6:05am

Originally posted by garage gnome garage gnome wrote:

So we put my spare carb on and guess what, it ran perfectly!!!! I think all that caked on Willys grease has something to do with it. LOL Not sure what is up with that other carb....

If I had to guess I would say that since they have been putting all that worthless ethanol in the gas it might have gelled up. The reason I say this is two years ago I put a brand new S&S carb on a 81 Harley I own and in less than a months time it gelled up and almost ruined the carb. Had to completely take it apart and clean it out. Just a guess though? 

Family Motto "If its not broken lets take it apart and lose some of the pieces and then it will be"
rrrrrrrrr9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrrrrrrrr9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2014 at 12:36am
except the old carb had problems directly from scoutpilot
Erik
1948 Cj2a "Rustina"
build pictures
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2014 at 1:21am
Well, it's time to send it back to Scout Pilot. I'm sure he can fix it.
redwilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2014 at 1:21am
Originally posted by rrrrrrrrr9 rrrrrrrrr9 wrote:

Don't tell me that, he has mine right now, he sounds like the kind of guy that is straight up and will fix it if there is a problem, give him a pm and a chance.
Rule #1....Don't Ever take a sleeping pill and a laxative at the same time on the same night.....
Tin Badge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tin Badge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2014 at 7:46am

Originally posted by redwilly redwilly wrote:

Originally posted by rrrrrrrrr9 rrrrrrrrr9 wrote:

Don't tell me that, he has mine right now, he sounds like the kind of guy that is straight up and will fix it if there is a problem, give him a pm and a chance.

I think they are poking fun at each other?

Family Motto "If its not broken lets take it apart and lose some of the pieces and then it will be"
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2014 at 2:02pm
Hey Erik. I received your carb yesterday afternoon. Drizzling, cold and dreary outside, I postponed the opening until this morning. Here's what I found. By the way. When the accelerator is pressed, the vacuum is supposed to drop. Then pick back up again. Anyone with vacuum wipers will confirm this.

Edited by scoutpilot - 20 Apr. 2014 at 2:04pm
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2014 at 5:16pm
Well, that's solved. Now he has to look for what is causing the issue. Thanks Scout for doing the test. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>