Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust evacuation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jdlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust evacuation
    Posted: 14 Feb. 2014 at 10:32pm
I was curious as to which way to go with the exhaust on my 2a. I'm keeping the l134 engine but I'm looking for a way to make it breath better, so I wanted to ask opinions. Should I use the stock manifold and port/polish it, an f head manifold ported/polished, or a header? I'm interested in the feedback.
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2014 at 1:27am
You need to have some back pressure in the exhaust system  Even headers need a muffler to have back pressure. 
Ed
cj2a lefty
Jdlee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jdlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2014 at 1:58am
I understand the back pressure part with the muffler, but with the engine ported polished and balanced with a custom ground cam I need to have the exhaust flow as well. I will be opening up the exhaust pipes and adding a different muffler
Thunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2014 at 3:01am
Back pressure, is a VERY incorrect term. Just think about it for a minute. PRESSURE? In the EXHAUST system? That's like saying, that you should be constipated, so you could preform better!!! Like I said, think about it. Or just shove a potato in the exhaust pipe. That will produce some back pressure...

Velocity, is what you are looking for. The CFM of the exhaust, being PUSHED through the system, CAN be manipulated by, a SLIGHT reduction in the size of the manifold and/or pipes. think about the old saying "Still waters, run deep". Why? because of the large area, that the water moves through.

A large exhaust system will produce little, if any, velocity. You want an exhaust system that will create a vacuum, through velocity, to evacuate the cylinders. Small tubes, will create a higher velocity. BUT, as RPMs and pressure increase, a larger tube will be required.

A flow bench, or LOTS of testing, will provide/produce the results that you are looking for. But ANYBODY who says, that "backpressure' is needed, should think about being constipated...

Port & polish, GOOD. Back pressure, Bad, VERY VERY BAD!!!

Follow my build here: http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/murph_topic29621.html

CJ2A/ M-38 wannabe
Spen Trailer SG474
zooke581 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zooke581 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2014 at 3:08am
Originally posted by Thunder Thunder wrote:

Back pressure, is a VERY incorrect term. Just think about it for a minute. PRESSURE? In the EXHAUST system? That's like saying, that you should be constipated, so you could preform better!!! Like I said, think about it. Or just shove a potato in the exhaust pipe. That will produce some back pressure...

Velocity, is what you are looking for. The CFM of the exhaust, being PUSHED through the system, CAN be manipulated by, a SLIGHT reduction in the size of the manifold and/or pipes. think about the old saying "Still waters, run deep". Why? because of the large area, that the water moves through.

A large exhaust system will produce little, if any, velocity. You want an exhaust system that will create a vacuum, through velocity, to evacuate the cylinders. Small tubes, will create a higher velocity. BUT, as RPMs and pressure increase, a larger tube will be required.

A flow bench, or LOTS of testing, will provide/produce the results that you are looking for. But ANYBODY who says, that "backpressure' is needed, should think about being constipated...

Port & polish, GOOD. Back pressure, Bad, VERY VERY BAD!!! 

I like your terminology.  Throw two-strokes in the mix and you have a whole new story.
General William C. Lee Chapter of the 101st Airborne Division Association. B Btry 1/321 FA 76-78

http://va101stairborne.com
http://sundialmotosports.com
http://kalamals.com
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2014 at 3:11am
I don't think your going to get much improvement with the L134 by porting and polishing. This is a low rpm four cylinder long stroke under square engine that is designed for low end torque. To port and polish only works at mid to high rpm's and since the L134 is a 4000 rpm engine and should only be driven about 50 mph what is the point. 

Since the engine is a long stroke you can't go over 5000 rpm safely.  
Life is only as good as you make it.
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2014 at 3:15am
Breathing has two components, breathing IN and breathing OUT.

The 'in' part is parting addressed by porting the intakes, but this would be better...

Add some compression (shaving the head) and free flowing exhaust...

Probably good for 10 to 15 HP.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Thunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2014 at 3:23am
Originally posted by zooke581 zooke581 wrote:

[/QUOTE]

I like your terminology.  Throw two-strokes in the mix and you have a whole new story.
[/QUOTE]

I'm glad that you mentioned that. Here's my "Monster". Detroit 8V92. That a Turbo AND a supercharger, on top of a two stroke... Please take notice of the "Single" 5" exhaust... At 5000# heavier, than the rig owned by my ex, all she ever saw of this unit, was taillights...

Follow my build here: http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/murph_topic29621.html

CJ2A/ M-38 wannabe
Spen Trailer SG474
Jdlee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jdlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2014 at 12:05pm
Thanks mike. I was planing to do a shaved head and aluminum intake with the dual carbs but the one I picked up on ebay that the seller said was a willys head and intake turned out to be a roof Anderson head and intake for I don't know what.so it's back to the drawing board for the head, but I will be tiging up a dual carb intake when I get the chance
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2014 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Jdlee Jdlee wrote:

Thanks mike. I was planing to do a shaved head and aluminum intake with the dual carbs but the one I picked up on ebay that the seller said was a willys head and intake turned out to be a roof Anderson head and intake for I don't know what.so it's back to the drawing board for the head, but I will be tiging up a dual carb intake when I get the chance

There is a Kaiser Supersonic head on eBay right now - but about to end. 

I'd be interested to see what you come up with for an intake manifold... 

Edited by Mike S - 15 Feb. 2014 at 7:23pm
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2014 at 7:20pm
Not to pirate the thread, but $175 for an unchecked head, WOW, someone is brave

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2014 at 7:22pm
Lee, I am NOT one of the bidders. I have an extra ribbed head and ASIICT there is no substantive difference. I can shave my head to get the CR I want in my gear drive engine.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Jdlee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jdlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2014 at 12:26am
Yeah I would have rather paid the 175 instead of the huge chunk I spent on a head that was never finished to begin with.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2014 at 3:13am
Originally posted by Mike S Mike S wrote:

Lee, I am NOT one of the bidders. I have an extra ribbed head and ASIICT there is no substantive difference. I can shave my head to get the CR I want in my gear drive engine.

Very true!

jdlee, sorry for your bad deal, I have been messing with jeeps for years, I made the comment because so many heads I find are cracked, I hate to see anyone wast hard earned dollars on a classic head, only to find out it is cracked, or unuseable, IMHO the seller would have been more fair to have the head checked by an automotive machinist, that way the e-bay buyer well knows what he is bidding on will be serviceable. Best of luck to you on your mods, very interesting .

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2014 at 8:24pm
I picked mine up for $35.  I hope to get it installed with a copper gasket in the Fall. I may plane it to 7.5:1.

Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2014 at 8:59pm
Heck of a deal!
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2014 at 9:09pm
I know, I couldn't pass it up.  I also got an intake for $20 to experiment with.  Got the parts from Quarter Ton Parts in GA.  Matt is a great parts guy. 
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2014 at 10:10pm
Wow, that's a smoking deal on a supersonic head, good for you!. Pay very close attention to the #3 combustion chamber, that's where they like to crack for some reason.

MHO, Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>