Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FIXING ORIGINAL TEMP GAUGES

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FIXING ORIGINAL TEMP GAUGES
    Posted: 18 May 2012 at 6:09pm
I had gotten a very nice original temperature gauge in from a member here, but it it had stopped working due to a pin hole somewhere. Following the steps on this page, I was able to repair and get it working. 

DON'T TOSS YOUR BROKEN TEMP GAUGES!

It appears to still be accurate. Now I need a good looking AMP gauge too. Wink

Edited by garage gnome - 18 May 2012 at 6:10pm
Nate
1953 3A, 1949 3A, 1947 2A, 1918 IHC Titan 10-20, 1905 IHC Famous, other hit n misses
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2012 at 7:48pm
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 12:30am
Nate,

I feel badly the temp gauge had a hole.  It did work when I pulled it for the restoration a couple years ago.  Perhaps I wasn't very careful while storing it away.

I am glad you patched it and that it still works.   You're a pretty industrious young man.  Nice work on the repair.

I would also add that it looks right at home in your old Willys.

Tim
williamsmar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamsmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 12:55am
I am curious as to why the voltage reads +- 50 on a 12 volt system.  also I have an original speedo but the pointer is broke where can I get it rebuilt or parts to build myself.

Thank you,

Marty
1946 CJ2A #72643

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 1:04am
Originally posted by williamsmar williamsmar wrote:

I am curious as to why the voltage reads +- 50 on a 12 volt system.  also I have an original speedo but the pointer is broke where can I get it rebuilt or parts to build myself.

Thank you,

Marty

That would be an ammeter, not a voltmeter....Wink

Some have suggested Bob's speedometer repair, but with  a broken needle you may need to buy a spare parts speedo to get a needle anyway. Search Jpet's posts... he rebuilt a speedo sometime this last year...
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

garage gnome View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 3:25am
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Nate,

I feel badly the temp gauge had a hole.  It did work when I pulled it for the restoration a couple years ago.  Perhaps I wasn't very careful while storing it away.

I am glad you patched it and that it still works.   You're a pretty industrious young man.  Nice work on the repair.

I would also add that it looks right at home in your old Willys.

Tim

None of your fault. It was working for a while, them someplace somewhere got a hole. I suspect it was from when I was taking the coil out to use in our Ford 8N to see if we could get it running. At any rate, it t still works great and looks 1000% better than the cheap thing the PO put in. It does look right at home there, the fading matches the fuel gauge perfectly.

Edited by garage gnome - 19 May 2012 at 3:29am
Nate
1953 3A, 1949 3A, 1947 2A, 1918 IHC Titan 10-20, 1905 IHC Famous, other hit n misses
 Post Reply Post Reply