Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electro-Willys conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 30>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electro-Willys conversion
    Posted: 07 Feb. 2017 at 1:10am
m38mike thanks for the update, it has been a very interesting thread and wondered if it was still being used. thanks for keeping us all on the edge of our seats as I would love to do the same thing one day to one of my jeeps.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2017 at 11:13pm
Boy oh boy!  It's been a while since my last update.  In a nutshell, I built the generator trailer, and took the whole works to Dawson, BC to start up the Alaska Highway with the MVPA convoy in August 2012.  The night before we were to start the convoy, I destroyed two of the 4 contact terminals on the motor.  I tried to repair them with parts from a local welding shop, but was unsuccessful.  I made the trip using my support vehicle, but Electro-Willys stayed parked in a farmers field while I was gone. 

I brought it home and rebuilt the motor.  That catastrophic failure also fried several of the wires leading to some of my gauges.  I'm still messing with some of them.  Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.  I need to take it all out and simply redo all the fine wiring.  The generator trailer still works, and is set up as my backup power for my home in case we have an extended power failure.  So far I haven't needed it.  It'll provide up to 12Kw for over 30 hours straight with the generator and gas tank in the trailer.

I did use E-W for my commuter car off and on for the next couple of years.  It stayed parked during the winter since the NDT's are terrible winter tires.  Now that I'm retired it spends more time parked than it does getting used.  I pull it out sometimes when friends or family want to go for a ride around the subdivision, but that's about it.  I do also use it in the Buena Vista 4th of July car show, and in the parade. 

Trying an experiment with a new charging system I managed to suck the lithium pack down so low on power that I killed one of the cells, and permanently damaged most of the rest of the pack.  As a result, I no longer get the fast boost of power I used to get from the lithium cells.  I also can't go as far.  My range has been cut by over 50%.  But it still runs quiet, and it will still start in 3rd gear from a dead stop.  That's something no gas engine Jeep will do without burning the clutch.  

I haven't decided what to do with it.  It's not worth it to me to invest thousands of dollars into a new lithium pack, just to drive it to the mailbox, or the hardware store.  For now it quietly waits out the winter in one of my Jeep parts sheds.  When the weather is warmer I may start pulling the wiring to rewire it.  But I have other projects that need my attention more, like the tranny rebuild in the Blue Mule, and getting the solar power system installed in my car hauler/camper. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2017 at 7:25pm
How about an update on E-W, I would love hear how it has all worked out

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

John 46-2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John 46-2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2011 at 4:44am
Mike, I must say it has been great watching the ups and the progress, the downs not so much, but you have kept on going and done it better every time,keep posting, I am waiting on the final chapter of the first book. Now maybe I will go and putter on mine.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2011 at 9:48pm
Thanks Sam, you're right, there are a few custom parts in this project. 

Mike, I'd be happy to list all the parts that are in it, but that would take a while.  The big parts are pretty simple to list:  motor, controller, charger, battery pack, gauges, potentiometer, big cables, and little wires.  That's the meat of it.  There's also parts to help all these parts fit into and work with your vehicle.  So most of it is pretty simple.  It's only dangerous if you mess it up. 

Let's see, an update.  Well I've got it running well now.  I made the adjustments to the controller that will optimize my performance and protect my battery pack from feedback if I accelerate too hard.  I've also got redundant systems to prevent my motor from spinning over 5,000 rpm (red-line) and destroying itself.  I've got the Cycle Analyst calibrated and now it's giving me accurate readings for the power I'm using and how many watts per mile I'm using up. 

I dont' have the new windshield refinished yet.  It's still in the sandblast booth waiting on the last paint removal.  Then I need to weld in a few of the "extra" holes in the frame.  Then it'll get painted and all new rubber, but old glass, and it'll be ready to install.  Probably 2-3 more weeks before I get all that done.  Once the windshield is on I can add the rest of the Military hardtop that I'm putting on it. 

I've got the CB radio installed and it works great when I'm not moving.  As soon as I start moving, I get lots of interference on the radio.  Too much electromagnetic wave action in this jeep.  I'm thinking I'll have to put the coax cable inside some metal conduit to protect it from stray electrical signals.   The liquid cooling system I designed for the new controller is working great.  In the old air-cooled controller I could not touch it without getting burned after even a short ride.  The new cooling system has the new controller running quite a bit cooler, no more burned fingers! 

I'm starting to collect parts for the future generator trailer that I'll need for the trip to Alaska.  But the trailer will require lots of work before it's ready to get built up.  

So there it is, that's the headlines.  I've got it running, and now that diesel is over $4/gallon I hope to be commuting with it very soon!  

Edited by m38mike - 27 Apr. 2011 at 10:02pm
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2011 at 6:08pm
MikeC - be sure and read pages 13-19 of the thread.  That's not exactly an off-the-shelf set of parts.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2011 at 5:25pm

Hi Mike

I was wondering if you had anymore updates on your Electro-Willys??? Do you think you could post a parts list of all the parts you used (the ones that actually worked) once it is running reliably?? You seem to be talking way over my head most of the time but I would love to see all the parts used and see if it would be a do-able project for me to attempt.
I wish you the best with this project. It appears to be in the end stages which is a good thing.
MikeC
I am the squirrel....
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2011 at 2:55am
I moved the tach pickup sensor about an inch farther away from the motor, then I put a steel plate between the sensor and the motor.  That did it!  I took E-W out for a test drive and the tach worked perfectly.  It's really nice to be able to see how fast the motor's spinning.  Especially since I can't hear it over the wind howling past and my teeth chattering with cold! 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2011 at 11:07pm
Thanks Mike and Sam,
The cable is shielded cable, but the sensor is out in the open.  I'm going to move it away  and put a small shield between the sensor and the motor to see if there is any improvement.  Stay tuned.
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2011 at 12:35pm
I second the notion of adding shielding to the wiring.  The heavy currents from the motor and its wiring are setting up magnetic fields that are interfering with the operation of the tach.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2011 at 2:59am

Mike how is it wired (tach) if you haven't aready use a shield cable and keep it away from the motor and any cables running  power to the motor. Just a Idea!!!!!!

MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2011 at 4:09pm
Thanks Mike,
It's been a challenge, and it's been fun (sometimes).  But with diesel over $4 a gallon now, I'm really getting motivated to finish it up so I can commute to work with it.  Yes I do drive something else much of the time.  I've got a diesel F250.  When I can I run biodiesel through it, but they don't sell it in our valley.  I'd like to make my own, but I can't find the time to work on all the Willys projects I have, much less make my own fuel.  So home-brew bio will have to wait until I retire.

On last night's test drive of Electro-Willys I reset a number of the limits in the controller to allow a greater range of operation.  That really made a big difference in how well it drove.  But I noticed a problem and want to see if anyone here has an idea how to solve it.  When I'm accelerating, my electronic tach goes to zero.  When I'm holding my speed steady, the tach goes to 1000 rpm.  When I take my foot off the accelerator, the tach shows the correct motor speed.  The pickup sensor for the tach is located about 1/2 inch from the front plate of the motor.  The magnets are mounted in a plastic collar on the front shaft.  I'm not sure how to get the tach to give me good readings all the time. 

Any ideas????  Confused
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2011 at 1:40pm
Hey Mike

I have been following this thread on and off for a while, I am gonna have to reread it in ernest, I am not much of a fan of the electric stuff yet but I really wanna do a (Bio)Diesel in one of these little trucks. I do have to say you are persistant in your quest. Looks awesome from this side of the world. Congrats on the project so far.
MikeC
p.s. Do you drive anything but a Willys???
I am the squirrel....
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2011 at 2:22am
Thanks guys.  I'm looking forward to each of you having a chance to drive it during the fall color tour.  Thumbs Up

Yup, I figured if I covered the top of the jeep with solar panels on a 5'x12' rack that it would take 3 days of steady sun to build up enough power for me to drive this jeep for one half hour.  Not too good. Ouch
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
CSMDakota View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CSMDakota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2011 at 12:45am

Looking great, Mike!  Nice pics!  Can't wait to see the updates up-close come Fall!

Have you done any calculations to determine what sort of load-sharing you could get from a reasonable sized solar panel?  Like if you were to cover the battery box or your generator trailer roof with some solar input?  I've no idea how good (or affordable) they would be, or the interface to charge the batteries, maybe provide relieve 5-10% of the generator burden is all...???  100% solar cars that I've seen are very light and not very fast...

Very cool project.
1948 CJ2A S/N: 214799
BillF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2011 at 12:12am
very nice
1952 m38
Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2011 at 10:59pm
You da' man Mike......... you da' man!!
That is one sweet ride!

Thumbs Up
Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2011 at 10:42pm
I got the Electro-Willys running again yesterday and decided to take it out for a test drive.  I programmed the controller with some conservative settings to start out.  I wanted to see just how zippy it'd be with mild settings.  Not bad!  Got it up over 50 before my lips started flapping in the breeze.

In fact it was going so well I decided to really give it a test.  I hooked up one of my trailers with some firewood in it to simulate the weight it'll have to tow when I build the generator trailer.  Here's a shot of me getting ready to leave on my first road test with the trailer.

The green tank on the back fender is part of the controller cooling system I built to keep my new controller from flaming out like the last one did.  I was not as impressed with the jeep's performance hauling this trailer.   I also noticed that I was using a lot more electric power trying to pull up hills.  Even shifting gears down didn't do much to help.  So now I need to reset the controller settings to something a bit more agressive.  And sometime soon I hope to have the new windshield frame mounted so I can leave the goggles home!

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 30>