Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electro-Willys conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 30>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2009 at 2:13pm
I've been emailing with a couple of other EV builders about electric switches.  One of the concerns I have with my rpm switch is that if my motor goes over 4500 rpm, the switch will shut it off, but once the motor drops below 4300 rpm the switch will turn the motor back on again.  The other EV guys showed me how to use a pair of cheap relay switches to create a switch that will shut down the motor, and keep it off until the 12v power system is shut down and restarted.  Here's a jpg of how it is wired up. 

The Tyco kilovac is the high voltage relay that passes power to the controller and on to the motor.  That is the high voltage switch I need to turn off to shut down the motor.  Generally speaking, relay #2 passes current to the Tyco for normal operation.  When the rpm switch hits 4500 rpm, it completes the ground to relay #1.  That in turn sends current to R#2 and changes the current flow in it from going to the Tyco to going to it's own coil.  That keeps it switched until the power is turned off.  Then the spring inside sets it back to the normal operation position again.

The end result of this is that once the motor is shut down, it stays shut down until I shut off the 12v power to this switch and then turn it back on again.  This will give me or anyone else who might be driving, an opportunity to get it all back under control before something REALLY BAD happens.

Edited by m38mike - 26 Apr. 2009 at 2:24pm
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
BillF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2009 at 2:50pm
Sounds like a good plan
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2009 at 4:17am
While I'm waiting for some of the big parts to arrive, I've been working on some small parts.  The first thing I added was the weather-tight plug that I'll use to connect with the extension cord.  This will pass power to an outlet in the jeep.  Then I'll plug the charger and battery heaters into that outlet.

This next photo shows the additions to all the electrical hardware that'll be under the driver's seat.  I've added the small fan to blow air thru the heatsink fins under the controller.  I've got the grey outlet box in place, but no outlets installed yet.  Next to the outlet is the black programable rpm switch that will shut off the motor if it spins up too far.

I thought that since I've got all this electricity moving around me, and the possibility of an electrical fire is real, I thought I'd add a fire extinguisher to the new hardware attached to the jeep.  With the precautions I'm taking in my new design, the chance of an electrical fire or short circuit is just about nill.  Unless I happen to drop a wrench on top of the battery pack. 

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2009 at 5:58am
Looking good Mike. Are you going to put a vacuum pump under the hood to run the wipers? (this started out as a joke, but the more I think about it, it wouldn't be a bad idea). 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2009 at 2:15pm
Gale, trying to run a vacuum while I'm driving would be hazardous.  I'll wait and use a shop-vac when I get home. (bad joke)  I've got a pair of electric wiper motors that I'll use.  I'd have to hook up an electric motor to run the vacuum pump.  It's easier to just run another wire. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2009 at 2:20pm
Mike, I was thinking of a 12v electric vacuum pump, they're quite small, a lot of auto manufacturers use them for powering vacuum accessories on turbo cars (no engine vacuum under boostLOL) The one that comes to mind is Audi, they found out when the first put in a turbo that under boost the heater controls stopped working, or did goofy things. A lot of modern cars use vacuum for HVAC. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2009 at 3:13pm
Hhhhmmmm, that's a thought.  I'm not familiar with the 12v pumps your talking about.  But then I could use original vacuum wipers- and still have them work when I am accelerating uphill!!!  I've already got the electric wipers for the hardtop windshield.  But I do have vacuum wipers on the summer windshield. 

Any recommendations for where I should look to check out a 12v vacuum pump?
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2009 at 4:05pm
Let me look around, I'll get back to you.
I'm back, I must have forgotten how proud of these plastic pumps they are (or I never paid attention since I wasn't paying the bill), here's the best price I could find, but still seems a little pricey to me http://autoparts.pricegrabber.com/engine-parts/1988-1995-Audi-90-OES-Genuine-Cruise-Vacuum/m704545169.html
I've thought about doing this, but I would probably call a couple of junkyards and see if I could get one cheaper.

Edited by bkreutz - 02 May 2009 at 4:24pm
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Hans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2009 at 5:20pm
I have a relatively small one on my Ford that operates the exhaust brake. Its an aftermarket kit from Gale Banks Engineering. I couldn't find it on their website by itself though. 
Hans
Santa Cruz Mountains,
California

"Wyatt" #24496
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2009 at 5:46pm
Go to car-part.com and locate a used one. There are probably some  in salvage yards near you.

BOULDER 48 2A
John 46-2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John 46-2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 12:44am
Trailer supply for vacume brakes,Ive also used a small 12 volt air compressor used for air shocks or air bags. Just screw it into the inlet then use plastic air line.John                            

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John 46-2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 12:55am
Mike I also have a vane punp from a tanker its a shaft drive with a love joy it needs to be pulled apart its siezed and the customer just wanted a new one.Its been in my tool box for about 3 years I think it was about 300.00 then if you want it you can have it I can pull it apart and free it up or you can.John
Hans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 2:04am
Will a compressor work on the vacuum wipers? I don't know the mechanics of the vacuum motors so I don't know. It doesn't make sense that they would work, but perhaps some modification like reversing the valves would make them work with pressure versus vacuum. I don't think its worth exploring though.
Hans
Santa Cruz Mountains,
California

"Wyatt" #24496

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John 46-2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 2:13am
The small 12volt ones we connect to the inlet for vacume its done for the deisels with no vacume system, but pull large trailers with vacume brakes. 
Hans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 2:23am
Um, John. I think that might be a bit of overkillLOL. The Electro Willys won't be going fast enough to warrant having the wipers whipping away at 60 strokes a secondShocked
Hans
Santa Cruz Mountains,
California

"Wyatt" #24496

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John 46-2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 2:28am
Just a small thumb screw OR a regulator under the dash for speed control.think about it a vacume system that will work at idle.
Hans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 2:45am
Actually a vacuum wiper will work best at idle when your vacuum is highest. It doesn't work as well (or at all) when you are at full-throttle acceleration when the vacuum is lowest, at least with a normally aspirated gasoline engine where you have manifold vacuum in usable amounts. Turbo and super-charged engines have vacuum at idle normally but that quickly goes away when the compressor starts to spool up under acceleration.

With diesels there is no such usable vacuum at any time, normally aspirated or not, which is why they need vacuum pumps in the first place.

Of course none of this applies to Mike's Elecro-Willys so never mind.    
Hans
Santa Cruz Mountains,
California

"Wyatt" #24496
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 5:07am
Gale,  That's a bit rich for having a way to work windshield wipers.   I think I'll pass on that one.  Especially for here in Colorado.  We're too dry here in this valley.

John 46-2A, I don't think I'll have room for a truck pump, unless it'll fit in a sandwich box.  I'm getting so many components competing for the little space I have left that I'm thinking about putting the radio and the heater both on the ceiling, one in front and one in back. 

From both the size and price viewpoints, I'll probably use the electric wipers instead of vacuum wipers.  I'm sure with a good coat of OD green, 95% of the folks who look at the jeep will not even notice them, much less be able to know they are not original military. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 30>