Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2A ID tag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ2A ID tag
    Posted: 18 Jan. 2009 at 8:37pm
Hello all,
I just registered to your forum, so I'm new to this.
I just came from looking at a CJ2A found @ a nearby farm.
I found an ID tag on the firewall of the drivers side.
It reads:
CJ 2A BO

From what I've found on your posts, it appears to be a '48.
Is this true?
It is 4WD, how do I verify that is is an original 4WD?
Is there #'s somewhere showing that it is indeed production 4x4?
There is no motor, but the rest of the driveline is intact.
The body & frame are solid, but need alot of work.
I think I can pick this up for about $400.
Does this sound reasonable?
Not quite sure if I'm up to the project.
I'm a modern Jeep kinda guy, but this old stuff is really begining to interest me.
Once I learn how to post pics, I'll do it.
Any input would be appreciated.

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2009 at 9:35pm
Welcome to the group!

I will speculate about the "BO on the data tag.  My guess is that the BO is the first part of BODY that would be on the body tag that would normally be on the passenger side of the firewall.  If so, and the tag has been moved to the driver side, the Willys body number is the same as the serial number and would, as you suggest, make it a '48. 

If my speculation is correct, the word "BODY" follows the CJ-2A on the tag but is on the "line", if you will, above the body number, but the "DY" is no longer visible.

There is a lengthy thread in the Testing and Support for the Forum section discussing techniques for posting photos.  Sean has condensed the instructions on his site here:  http://www.nulltime.com/cj2a/tutorial/index.html 

YOu may want to practice in the Testing and Support area to get the hang of it, and then post in this thread when you get it working.

AS for your question about the 4WD being original, without pictures or detailed description, it's hard to know.  My guess is that, if what you have is a CJ-2A, the 4WD is original.  They all came that way from the factory.  IF something needed to be replaced along the way, it would have been easiest to replace the parts with 2A parts.

Edited by samcj2a - 18 Jan. 2009 at 11:44pm
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
MIhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2009 at 11:43pm
Thanks for the reply Samcj2a

I've posted my pics of the Jeep I looked at today on photobucket.
There's one of the ID tag and several others of the Jeep.

Take a look and see what you think!
Let me know if you think there's some potential there.

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2009 at 12:35am
The data tag is arranged diferently than the ones I have seen and paid attention to, but other than that, I do think that it is a body tag and that the last two letters of "body" are not legible.

I do not see anything to make me think the 4WD is not original.

The rear quarters of the tub and the tailgate look to be repaired or replaced with incorrect panels.

The windshield appears to be a 2A windshield.  The grill and the marker lights look military to me.  The marker lights look like blackout lights.   The dash does not look like a 2A dash, although it could just be patched.  All of this could indicate a military tub with a tailgate added.  I don't know enough about the military tubs to know though.

There is too much snow to tell much else about it from the pictures.   The fenders, hood and windshield appear to be 2A parts to me.

It is not clear to me that it is worth $400 without the engine and with the tub in the shape it is.  I don't think that anyone is going to buy it out from under you before you get a chance to see what else is available nearby.  The parts might be able to be sold for $400, but I think you can do better even if you have to pay a bit more, but get a complete Jeep.

Let's see what others think.    There is a lot to watch on TV today, so it may take awhile for folks to see the thread, look at your photos and give you some thoughts.

Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
a_danziger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a_danziger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2009 at 3:59am
Seems like a lot of money to me as well. There's loads of fun to be had in restoring one of these but it takes a boatload of money as well. More spent now (on something in better shape and more complete) will save you a lot later. Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2009 at 5:54pm
that tub is pretty much all plated over junk... and the dash is toast as well. WIndshield looks weird, almost like a later 3A arm on it.. Frame has reeinforcement plating done forward of front crossmember..

CHeck out the post Meet MB 163372 (Might have the number wrong...) to find a link to pics of a similar condition WWII jeep I bought that ended up as a parts jeep. I paid slightly more than you say that one is, but I got a mint windshield and a running M-38 motor. What I see there in your pics I have repeatedly found in the $150  price range..Of course parted out you could get your $400.......but never pay as much as the total of the parts unless you need them.

With all the snow, there is a lot of hidden damage....

If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

MIhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2009 at 6:04pm

Thanks to those of you who responded.  I haven't made a purchase yet, but still looking.  If this "wreck" is still there in the Spring, I may try to pick it up in the $150 range. 

Hans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2009 at 4:22am
I would honestly advise that you pass on this one at any price. If you can haul it off for free it might be worth it.

I say this because you stated that you are not sure if you are up to the challenge (or something like that) and you are more of a modern Jeep guy. I myself like the older stuff, but the Jeep you are looking at would be put out in my pasture for awhile if I were to aquire it for free. On the other hand it might be something you could make into a sleeper rockcrawler or something like that!
Hans

Just my two bits worth!
Hans
Santa Cruz Mountains,
California

"Wyatt" #24496
 Post Reply Post Reply