Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Make Your Own Canvas Top

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 27>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P8106jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2014 at 12:09am
Mona and Beachwood don't have anything to worry about. I appreciate every bodies help.   I have my trail top done.     If you are attending the Fall Color tour and want to sit under my shade, don't criticize the sewing. j
Jamie Powers

Houston TX

1963 CJ3

Bantam T3-C Year unknown

www.haflatfenders.com
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2014 at 4:46am
jpet, I don't know if you'd noticed or if anyone has mentioned it, but some of your pictures are starting to disappear from this thread.

Just thought you might want to know,
Les
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2014 at 9:09am
On what page? They are all there as far as I can see.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
60willie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 60willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2015 at 11:49pm
Hello , I am new here , but I want to thank you for this thead you created on sewing a canvas top . It made me see my own top, I have a cj5 with a new md juan tub I just got and decided to put a m38a1 top and bows, it was easier to find parts and easier for me. I am using 18oz canvas and a sailrite ultrafeed sewing machine . After fitting the bows and doors and rods . I started a prototype to learn how to sew . Now I am making the real top . I am using the jeep geometry to make the top . You really need the jeep and bows like you said . Your thread here has helped me every step of the proses . My canvas is from big duck canvas , I got my 3/4 type 1 binding and 1" type 3 from military surplus and dyed it black, all other parts come from beachwood canvas . I will try and post some pics and make new thread for a m38a1
60willie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 60willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2015 at 11:54pm

image.jpgimage.jpg     31KB     JPEG image
60willie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 60willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2015 at 12:07am

Here is the top on , have to wait to get some vinyl window to see on the rear so I can complete the top

Edited by 60willie - 03 Jan. 2015 at 1:45am
CHARLIE JEEP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHARLIE JEEP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2015 at 9:29pm
Hi Guys,
maybe some of you can remember me.
I have a CJ-2A Luzon Red 1947 in Argentina and bought a Half Top from Jpet.
After that, I asked him for the 2 doors, but as was impossible to send the frames to the USA, I sent some drawings on paper to Jpet and he did the doors. 
Please see page # 16 of this topic 
Finally, I finished the doors and to be honest, I can tell that they fixed better than I expected.
Please see some photos:
Cheers,
CJ-2A #114467 1947        Slat Grill #124991 1942        SPEN trailer 1948              
dsc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2015 at 2:24am
Great job Charlie.
jpet I'm in line for some help here in India.just started with the restoration.
Thanks and congratulations on the great job done.
dsc
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2015 at 12:39am
hey Jeff, I'm starting work on my own canvas top. I'm starting with the doors, as I can use them with my hard top as well. I'm found the binding you used from TriVantage, but they don't post prices. I was wondering what you paid for the roll, if you don't mind my asking.
Thanks,
Les
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2015 at 1:14am
Last Oct, I bought some and it was $56 for each 100ft roll

Vat-Dyed Untreated Class 3 Cotton Webbing Type I 1" x 100-yd Shade #7 Olive Drab
Item #:573120

If you register and create a log in, you can see the prices and even order online. You can also buy most all he fasteners offered by Scovil through TriVantage.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2015 at 4:53pm
Thanks very much !!
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2015 at 3:03am
Yay. Just managed to delete my post.
Jeff, I have a question for you. I'm working on my canvas top and I'm ready to put windows in the side curtains. I'm trying to decide whether to use one long window, or two short ones.
Remember that my 2A is stretched two feet between the front seats and the wheelhouse. Because of the way I designed the frame for the top, the side curtains will run the full length of the sides, from the back of the doors to the back of the jeep. They'll be about 26 inches longer than the 'stock' side curtains.
My main concern is canvas shrinkage. Which windows layout do you think will hold up best to the shrinking and stretching of the canvas? Or will it even matter?
The frame:

The plastic tarp 'bubba-top' prototype:

The canvas 'super-kini':

Overall, the design takes most of it's cues from the CJ-1/CJ-2 prototype tops JPET showcased. It also incorporates design improvements from the late CJ-2A top.
The windows will all be 'crystal-clear' flexible vinyl, allowing the sides and rear to be rolled up. The sides will attach to the top and rear curtain with full-length brass zippers. The front of the side curtains will attach to the inside of the front 'bow' with wither snaps or CS fasteners. The top will attach to the frame almost exclusively with CS fasteners. The sides will be anchored to the tub using the traditional straps

At the moment, the roof is almost complete. It has been hemmed and fit for zippers. It still needs the rear 'valence' for the rear curtain to attach to and reinforcements at fastener locations and where it rests on the frame.

The side curtains are cut and hemmed, and waiting on zippers, windows, and straps.

Doors are a work in progress, waiting on me to pick up the edging JPET mentions above.

My biggest hurdle at the moment is needing all the fasteners.

One inspiration for dual window in the side curtain:

Hmm. I have another couple pictures of jeeps with dual windows on the sides, but the pic above gives a good example.

I would install the windows in the same vertical location as the stock side curtain windows, and the doors will have full-size, standard-shaped CJ2A windows.
Les

Edited by LesBerg - 29 Oct. 2015 at 3:07am
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2015 at 9:35am
Hi Les,

Looks like a good concept. I'm not sure it would matter all that much as far as shrinkage goes whether it's one window or two. Idk. I think the two windows looks better myself. If you are worried about shrinkage, you can add vertical bows where the break in the windows are and sew some flaps to your side curtains between the windows to attach the curtains. This would keep them from flopping as much in the wind and help them to not shrink as much.

I have noticed that my door curtains, which are mostly window, shrink and expand quite a bit in cold and heat. In the cold morning, they can be a little tight but by afternoon they are loose. The CJ1 and CJ2 had these flaps sewn in the edges:

They serve two purposes. The main purpose is so you can reach your hand behind them to fasten the curtains from inside the canopy. The second purpose may or may not have been thought about by the engineer but they compensate for shrinkage of the door. The door will shrink in the cold morning and if you had to fasten it to the rear curtain, it might not reach so the edge flaps in the rear curtain can be pulled forward to reach the door. In the afternoon, the door will stretch out and these flaps will lay back in their natural state. Savy? Even if you are using zippers, you may consider putting these flaps in for that purpose. The doors on BAM BAM have zippers but they don't have these flaps. I'm guessing in another year or two, the doors may no longer fit due to shrinkage.   The fabric can be stretched back out but the doors are hard to keep stretched out since the have no structure to attach to that can keep them stretched like the roof pieces do. This cotton canvas of course.   Going back to the side curtains, that's what I like about MB bows. They are V shaped and the canvas has flaps to attach them to the V shape. This holds the canvas both horizontally and vertically so there is no need for straps at the bottom.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2015 at 2:10pm
Nice! I'm at work right now, so the images are blocked, but I'll be a studying fool this evening when I get home.

By the time I'm done, I'll have three tops.
The frame in my above post was actually designed with an insulated hard top in mind. I ran out of time and fabbing budget, but laid my hands on a 20x24 foot heavy canvas tarp. 

Tops 1 & 2 both use the frame pictured above. Ultimately, that frame will have a permanently mounted metal roof that covers essentially the same area that the canvas pictured on it does.

The sides and rear panels will be removable, and I want to make two sets. One set to complete the insulated metal hard top for winter driving. The second set will be roll-up canvas. 

The canvas panels I'm making now, that go with the canvas roof will also work with the metal roof when I get that far.

In my quest for a 'factory style' canvas top, I have discovered a few illustrations of a prototype of the M38 ambulance. 
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2015 at 6:47pm
OK. I see what you're talking about. I have framed doors - or will, once I modify finish modifying the frames to fit the openings. So if I'm understanding this correctly - you're talking about getting the doors closed? I won't have to worry about this part.
I have two more questions for you:
How much overlap is there where the side curtains meet the body? I just need a ballpark figure.

Are the straps that fasten the side curtains to the body on the inside or outside of the side curtains? I had always assumed they were on the outside, but I don't see them in the pictures of the completed tops.

Thanks,
Les

Hoping to get here:

|___|     \__\__\___

|    \_\__/ _|OIIIIIIIO|_

()_)       ()_)-------()_)

Edited by LesBerg - 30 Oct. 2015 at 7:05pm
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2015 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by LesBerg LesBerg wrote:

..... I have two more questions for you: How much overlap is there where the side curtains meet the body? I just need a ballpark figure.
Rear side curtains? I suppose it depends on how much your material shrinks. I started out with about 2-1/2" to allow for shrinkage. On the door curtains I went with 3". To allow for even more shrinkage.
Quote ...Are the straps that fasten the side curtains to the body on the inside or outside of the side curtains? .....
I assume you mean the rear side curtains. The straps are on the inside.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2015 at 7:11pm
good deal, thanks!
Quick Robin, back to the sewing machine!

Yes - the rear side curtains. I keep forgetting that because I don't have 'front' side curtains. Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by LesBerg - 30 Oct. 2015 at 7:32pm
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2015 at 9:09pm
Oh cool, another canvas project, cant wait to see the end results.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 27>