Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T-98 or T-18 bolted to L-head?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farm1810 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T-98 or T-18 bolted to L-head?
    Posted: 18 Mar. 2006 at 4:33pm
Have any of you either found a T-98 from a CJ-5 with 134 F-head and put it behind your L-head or modified a T-18 to fit behind the 134 L-Head.  I want to keep my trusty old flathead, but it would be nice to have that real low gear of the 4 speed sometimes.  Any information or advice would be appreciated.  I have seen the information on the CJ3B page, but not enough detail to really give me the mental picture of what I might need to do.  Thanks.  Rich.
Rich B.
Oakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2006 at 8:10am

My buddy has that set up but I don't know which bellhousing he has.

I'm selling a complete T98 w/ transfercase and all adapters + driveshafts if you are interested.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES, THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS
mikes half cab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikes half cab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2013 at 1:10am
theres one on ewillys for 200 dollars.sounds like a good deal. 4 speed.
mikes half cab
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2013 at 3:20am
Originally posted by mikes half cab mikes half cab wrote:

theres one on ewillys for 200 dollars.sounds like a good deal. 4 speed.

I called. It's sold.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2013 at 3:21am
Originally posted by Oakes Oakes wrote:

My buddy has that set up but I don't know which bellhousing he has.

I'm selling a complete T98 w/ transfercase and all adapters + driveshafts if you are interested.

Please PM me with details. I am VERY interested.

Mike
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2013 at 3:32am
I think that the best tranny would be the SM420 - its ALMOST as short as the T90 and has a 7:1 granny low. Problem is getting an adaptor to mate it with a L134 bell housing. Novak's has an adaptor for the SM420 to the D18.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2013 at 6:30pm
Some good news -- I have been talking to Herm Tilford (Herm the Overdrive Guy) about this. He offers a complete rebuilt T-98 transmission with adaptors for replacing the T90 in L134 and F134 equipped Jeeps. Here is a link: http://hermtheoverdriveguy.com/?page_id=1384

This is not cheap, but it is the ONLY source for a fresh T98 with correct adaptors that I have found.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
jalbrecht55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jalbrecht55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2013 at 8:25pm
I actually have one of these and have sloooowly been working my way to swapping it into my jeep.

Novak also has some info about this transmission:  http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/t98.htm

Here's what I can tell you:  The T98A you'd be looking for was available somewhere around 1955-1972 in the CJ-5, M38A1 and some Forward Controls (however you would need to get a different top shifter for those) with the F134 engine.  Specific to that combination is a special input shaft, input shaft retainer and adapter plate.  The combination makes the front end of the T98A essentially the same as T90--so in that sense, you use the same clutch, same bellhousing and the other related stuff.  The main differece is that it's a lot bigger and a bit longer (about 13.75 vs about 9"). 

In the stock application, they installed spacer blocks under the crossmember for floor clearance.. but it does give up ground clearance in the process.  This shows one installed on a CJ-2a without cutting up the floor.  I'm hoping to raise mine up some when I install it, but it's going to take some cutting....

In addition to Herm's kit, Novak has an L134 adapter for the dodge NP435:  http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/adapters/engine_to_transmission/kit_1435.htm

RP4wd may have something available too, you'd have to call and see (a few years ago they told me they were working on something but I don't see it in their website so maybe they never did it).  http://shop.rp4wd.com/

Edited by jalbrecht55 - 25 June 2013 at 8:27pm
'47 Willys CJ-2A -- - www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=690670
 Post Reply Post Reply