Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjc1677 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine swap
    Posted: 20 May 2009 at 5:48pm
I have a semi running original engine in my CJ2 currently.  I am thinking of putting bigger tires and may eventually go that route.  I know the little 4 cylinder won't move the bigger tires so here are some options that I have.

I can get my hands on a running V8 Oldmobile 350 engine with tranny and transfer case from a CJ7 for next to nothing.  Would it feesible to put into my CJ2?  Would this be a very hard conversion?  What is all involved in something like this?

Another route I could go is get a running rebuilt F head engine from a CJ5.  What is in volved in this?  Would I be any better off with this engine than the one I currently have?

Thanks
Mike
46'/47' CJ2A--Work in Progress
19?? M38--For fun, then for parts

--"light a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 6:38pm
With the final drive gearing in your Jeep, moving larger tires isn't much of a problem with a good running L head. The difficulty with putting a V8 in there is 1, getting it to fit and modifying everything else needed, and the frames on these aren't very strong so you would be putting a lot of stress on that. The F head will fit, the problem there comes when you try to close the hoodLOL. Using a stock carb would require cutting a hole in the hood, there are other carbs that get around that problem, but they are somewhat difficult to find, and you have to modify the throttle linkage to make it work. Not making a statement about what you should do, just pointing out some of the potential difficulties. 

Edited by bkreutz - 20 May 2009 at 6:39pm
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
mjc1677 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjc1677 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 6:42pm
I appreciate any help and concerns.  Like I said I am new to all this and was just wondering what my options are.  Does the F head offer any benifits over my stock engine? 

Mike

--"light a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 7:35pm
Personally I don't think so, while a overhead valve engine has performance advantages over a flathead due to flow characteristics and spark plug placement, the F head is really a halfway point in design, the exhaust valves are still in the block. There is a bit of power advantage but not as much as a true OHV would have. I've installed a number of non stock powerplants in various vehicles over the past 40 years and there are a lot of little (and some not so little) details that you have to deal with. The difficulty comes in because when the vehicle was designed, it was with a particular powerplant in mind, so every item becomes an exercise in creativity, not impossible, but certainly takes some planning. Then there is the question of value. It seems to be a general consensus that the resale value with a stock drivetrain is higher than what one with a transplant would be. But that's not a hard and fast rule, depends on the attitude of the buyer. In the end, it's up to you to decide what you want it to do when you're finished, and how confident you are with your own abilities (or your bank balance if someone else is going to do the work.LOL) They're a fun vehicle whichever way you decide to go and the members here are always willing to help. HTH
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
mjc1677 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjc1677 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 7:42pm

Thanks again Gale. 

Lifesgoodhere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lifesgoodhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 9:30pm
chevy 2.5L engine. lots of go fast goodies if you want, still a 4 banger, reliable.
GRADE 8 PARTS
flh canuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flh canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 9:01am
I would probably avoid swapping in a V-8 unless you are prepared to change everything else.

As Gale said, these frames are a little on the flimsy side and not designed to handle V-8 weight or torque.

The entire running gear was designed to accomodate a 60 horsepower engine and it will stand up just fine as designed. Add more power and parts will begin to explode.

Then there are the 9 inch drum brakes....

A well built stock flat head 4 actually runs pretty good and will keep up with traffic just fine.

The 5:38 gears will allow you to run larger tires but all depends on what you want to use it for at the end of the day. Based on what I have learned, I would be inclined to keep things close to stock.
Maybe I will just patch a rust hole or two, shouldn't cost much to fix up.....
-1946 CJ2A with Column Shift
-1946 Bantam T3C
munkjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munkjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 5:47pm
You have to be able to put that extra power to the ground, I have a 64 CJ5 with a 350 SBC and now it is about useless for 4 wheeling, if I am stopped in a little gulley or hill that I should be able to idle out of, as soon as I let out the clutch and get it some gas, one or more tires will break traction and start spinning. On the highay the extra power is good, but no so good offroad.
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 8:27pm
I have a buick 225 v-6 in my Willys. I think its about the best of both worlds for these old jeeps. Its about the most common swap, parts are still out there, etc.

Advice.

-Even a v-6 fills the engine bay up enough to make cooling and packaging challenging.
-The 225 has more than enough power for a light jeep.
-Use HEI, points didn't hold up for me.
-You might just think about installing a 4 speed instead of the motor swap. Depending on what kind of wheeling you do the gears will do you more good than the bigger motor.

Other interesting swap ideas that I have thoughts about....

Ford Pinto 2300. These where good old swaps. There is also a fuel injected turbocharged version :)

1.9 VW TDI engine with a Mechanical Pump conversion. I think this would be GREAT! It would get 30mpg or more.....100-150hp is pretty easy....fuel injected performance without the electronics.

1300cc suzuki sprint engine. Bacially the polar opposite of the L134. Its small, light, redlines at like 7000+ rpm, 100hp or more, fuel injected, etc. VERY light weight.

Toyota 2.7L 4cyl, 3rz. I think one of these would ROCK if you could ever get it installed under the hood.

215 buick aluminum V8 or range rover v8, basically the same thing. Light, powerful, and small enough to fit in the smaller engine compartments.

V4 SCAT engine...if you could find one....and afford it......it would be really cool.

Turbocharger for your L134 with a blow through carb setup?

Hopefully that gets your brain working overtime :)

Lifesgoodhere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lifesgoodhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 10:16pm
i'm turbo charging a f-head. could do that too
GRADE 8 PARTS
PNW Jeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PNW Jeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2021 at 7:56am
I am looking into swapping in a 2.0 VW diesel, can I use stock everything else?
 Post Reply Post Reply